Running My First 5K Feb 21, 2015

Options
Hello anyone and everyone,

I am new to MFP, day 4. After speaking with a friend of mine about getting back on the fitness wagon she informed me of MFP and here I am. I've really gotten a kick out of the food and exercise log. Seeing my food in numbers really put things into perspective and I love it!

My husband used to call me "Tiny Dancer," but now I feel "Short Round" is a more fitting name. I'm a 5'3 (ok, 5'2 1/4" if you want to split hairs) female, 165lbs, 28 years old. The most I've weighed was 168lbs (October 2014) and I had a mini panic attack and decided it is time to stop eating like the 16 year old athlete I once was and more importantly stop being a lazy bum.

All my life I was active, played soccer until college, danced (ballet, jazz, tap, acrobatics, etc.) until 5 years ago. Being a working adult just got in the way. The excuses of being too tired got in the way. I got in my own way. A few months ago I decided I am tired of being lazy and I want my fun active hobbies back. I want to be healthy and fit again. Feb 21st I will be running in my first 5k. It's baby steps for me. I am currently jogging a 17min mile (embarrassing). Getting my stamina and extremities back into the swing of things is difficult, but it's going to be worth it! I hope to be able to squash 5k's and move on to 10k, 15k, so on and so forth.

In the process I would love to shed all this lazy weight I've put on. I've always had a muscular build, so I am aiming for 135-140lbs. That's how much I weighed 10 years ago when I was still playing soccer and going to dancing school - I was a fine tuned instrument then. Now, I'm like a out of whack kazoo.

I hope to gain some support to keep me motivated. You lean on me, I lean on you. Any insight or kind words appreciated. Any runners that could provide any tips or inspiration would be great!

Thanks,
Jackie

Replies

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats! I think a 5K is a great first step. Having something like that in place makes you more likely to pay attention to what you eat and how you workout because your goal is something besides just losing weight.

I have done a number of races over the last 15 years now (from 5k - full marathons) and I have to say, nothing quite does it for me like running. Sure I do some cross training and weight lifting to keep myself strong - but it's really to improve myself as a runner!

After taking a hiatus for a few years - and putting on roughly the same amount of weight you did - I started running again last year. If I can throw some encouragement your way, I went from 166 (I'm 5'6") to 135 in about 7 months time. But equally encouraging - my running times WAY improved as I lost weight! I now regularly run under a 9-minute mile pace and hit a PR of a 7:51 mile just this week. And I always considered myself a "slow runner."

Since you asked for a few tips:

1) Start watching your thoughts about yourself. Tell yourself you ARE a runner. I see you felt embarrassed about your running time. Don't be. Tell yourself you've got this. That you're strong.
    2) Try building a speed workout once a week into your routine. Not only will this help improve your time, it's just an exhilarating feeling! What I like to do: warm up with a slow jog/walk for about 1/4 mile. Then, run at a faster than normal clip down the straight part of a track and recover by walking around the curve. Do this about 6-10 times (as you're able).
    3) Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. I initially got fitted for mine at a running store where someone could observe me run. It's money well spent.
    4) Buy yourself a few running things if you're able. This is purely optional, but I found that when I owned a pair of running leggings, a Garmin GPS watch, and a couple form fitting running shirts - I just FELT like a runner. I swear these things (while perhaps trivial) helped enforce the thoughts I was trying to believe for myself.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck on your race. ;)
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the response!

I will try to be more positive, not that I am negative toward myself it is just I am a sarcastic, slight cynical person that gets a laugh to poke fun at myself. But, you're totally right! I should only be embarrassed if I stay seated on a couch and not working towards my goals.

Once I am more comfortable with running/jogging at an even pace I will then work speed into my routine like you mentioned. Great idea!

The importance of shoes! I went to a running store and got fitted/run evaluated and I am feeling so much better. I used to pick whatever I thought looked cool and felt good walking around - so wrong! The random Nikes I picked ended up giving me such pain in my feet and shins. Nikes just aren't made for me when it comes to running. Love the shoes I was fitted with.

Again, you're spot on with the apparel. Sometimes you need to look the part to play the part. Although, running leggings are totally functional for me - they keep the thunder thigh chub-rub at bay. haha!

Thanks again.
  • clareymcclaren
    Options
    Good luck! I went from not being able to run half a block, to running a marathon, in 2 years (I started at age 28). Running was hard, but the hardest part was finding time to do all the sweaty laundry, make snacks, and make playlists for my workouts! I am also a very slow runner, which means I get the best cheers at races. You are amazing and you will rock your 5K. It's easy to be an athlete when you're a teenager; it's a huge accomplishment to get fit and run a 5K when you're a grown-up with a job and all the rest of your life to deal with.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    @clareymcclaren Thank you! I have definitely started from the can't run half a block point, but now I am at can run maybe a block and a half point.

Maybe in 2 years I'll be marathon ready too! :)