Cardio Advice Needed

Does anyone have cardio tips to burn maximum calories? I have been doing the elliptical and exercise bike lately (20-30 min a day)... I'm not a fan of running and the pool at my gym is closed for repair of some type for the next couple weeks... Let me know what works for you!

Replies

• kazg84
    kazg84 Posts: 2 Member
    i have been doing exercise bike and doing like intervals on it, which seems to be working. i will do a warmup etc then after each 30/40 secs go harder for 20 secs and then back to 30/40 etc and keep doing that for 30 mins per day, and also try and do some body weight exercise and weight exercises.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Do you have a regular bike?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Intensity and duration are going to have a far greater impact on calorie burn than the specific exercise you are doing.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Intensity and duration are going to have a far greater impact on calorie burn than the specific exercise you are doing.

Exactly. To burn more calories you have to exert yourself more. Do intervals on the elliptical by increasing resistance for 30 sec. or 1 min. and then recover. Keep increasing your intervals and continually challenge yourself. If you get comfortable, then you know you aren't burning enough calories.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    busseybl wrote: »
    Does anyone have cardio tips to burn maximum calories? I have been doing the elliptical and exercise bike lately (20-30 min a day)... I'm not a fan of running and the pool at my gym is closed for repair of some type for the next couple weeks... Let me know what works for you!

No maximum calories for you. Stick with the elliptical then. It's a pretty decent calorie burn.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Those both can be good. I do a jog a minute or two walk a minute alternating. It has been great for me.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Agree with others on the interval training on the equipment. Also look up HIIT or Tabata workouts. They have some pretty good ones on Pintrest or just online in general. I use those when I am traveling and don't have a lot of time. They are fast and quick calorie burner depending on how much you are pushing yourself.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Do you have a regular bike?

My question too. When I'm stuck doing cardio inside I run on the treadmill.

Any other time I can, I'm on my road bike! If you live somewhere that's very hilly, you'll get a great workout!
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    i HATE the treadmill as well, so for cardio i opt to take the les mills classes that my gym offers, if you go regularly enough the instructor will know you and you'll feel at least a little more accountable for going given you know the instructor will notice if you're not there.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    i HATE the treadmill as well, so for cardio i opt to take the les mills classes that my gym offers, if you go regularly enough the instructor will know you and you'll feel at least a little more accountable for going given you know the instructor will notice if you're not there.

I love Les Mils classes. I take Body Pump, RPM and Combat. Which ones do you go to?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yup.

Calorie burn = body weight x intensity x duration.

If you want to burn more calories either work harder or longer or harder for longer. Exercise selection is down to your preference.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Walk.
    Walk/dance on stilts. My friend's son does this a lot (for work) and swears nothing is better for his thighs.
    Bike.
    Jumping jacks.
    Lie on your back and do air bicycle.
    Jump rope.
    Put a tennis ball on the end of a rope, tie the other end around your ankle and swing that ball in circles.
    Get an exercise dvd or use you tube and do some aerobics.
    Pogo stick.
    Trampoline.
    Rollerskate/rollerblade
    Ski (cross-country ski)
    Walk around in the snow
    Sex

That's all I have, lol.
  • 963Nitro
    963Nitro Posts: 82 Member
    Make it easy on yourself and do the elliptical or bike on the "random hill" setting. This will give you resistance intervals. I always do it on the treadmill/elliptical/bike (if I have to work out inside.

Also, on the elliptical, change it up every 2 min or so from arms on legs on/ only legs (arms off the polls - no assistance) / and backwards (arms off works best for me backwards)

if you are worried about keeping balance with your arms off the poles, there should be stationary handles in front of you to hold on to.
  • busseybl
    busseybl Posts: 32 Member
    I do the interval setting on the elliptical... it goes from 5-15 degree of difficultly on and off. I like it.

I'm starting BodyPump next week.
  • Missy022014
    Missy022014 Posts: 86 Member
    I use the arc trainer at planet fitness, it's amazing. I use the weight loss program, it alternates incline and resistance to keep you burning maximum calories. The calories burned depends on weight too, but I burn about 750 calories in 45 minutes which is way more than I ever could on a treadmill.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Be aware that calorie burns from exercise equipment are almost always overstated. The elliptical I use just about doubles the calorie burn I calculate from my HRM. I find that the treadmill is the most accurate.

I never get more than about 10 kcal per minute and that's going full out.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    I do the treadmill. I walk for 10, jog at 4.5 for 10, jog at 5.5 for 10, run at 6.5 for 10 minutes, then repeat back down. May not be the best, but I burn about 700 calories according to my HRM. I log it as 650 to account for error.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    I used the Arc Trainer at Planet Fitness, too.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member

I love Les Mils classes. I take Body Pump, RPM and Combat. Which ones do you go to?

right now i'm doing Combat and the CXWORXs, but i love body pump as well, it just isn't fitting in with NROLFW right now :(
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    i usually do HIIT which is great for fat burning