Food Day at work

Options
Help! I need some support! There is yet ANOTHER food day at work! I have been SO good these last 7 days but this one is killing me! They have everything from brownies to cake. I love it all! I have my fruit and water on my desk but this stuff is so close to me I cant avoid it!

How do you guys cope with temptations like this? The power struggle in my brain and heart is driving me crazy!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories available, I have a brownie and move on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Can you have just one piece? Or do you fear one will lead to another and then another and so on?

If these are trigger foods for you, then it is hard when they are staring you in the face. But you are stronger than that food and if you don't want to eat it then don't. You CAN do it.

Best advice I have is to not let yourself get hungry. Drink plenty of fluids and snack on options that fit your plan and won't trigger you to over eat. Show those treats who is boss!!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I agree, just pick one or two foods that you really like and that are within your total calorie allowance. :) And then enjoy!
  • Joshloe
    Joshloe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    or just dont do it, have some willpower. You're gonna need it.
  • abbystewart319
    Options
    ahhhh Willpower! Something so foreign to me in all my years! What do they say? “Willpower is a muscle you use. The more you use it the stronger it gets!”  These are very much trigger foods. My favorite things to eat are junk foods and snacks. Super Bowl Sunday is like a holiday because of the plethora of dips and snacks. Thank you all for your advice! Even just reading these and writing back is a great distraction! Hey, there’s an idea! Working as a distracting (being that I am actually at work and all!) 

Thank you!!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just don't have any of it. It's always not as good as expected, and 99% of the time not worth the calories.

Finding the willpower the first time is the hardest, but, as with anything, it becomes MUCH easier every time. Now, it's just automatic.

You might get questions and prompted by colleagues, but I just say "no, thank you". They stop pestering you eventually and they don't need to know why you don't want any.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ahhhh Willpower! Something so foreign to me in all my years! What do they say? “Willpower is a muscle you use. The more you use it the stronger it gets!”  These are very much trigger foods. My favorite things to eat are junk foods and snacks. Super Bowl Sunday is like a holiday because of the plethora of dips and snacks. Thank you all for your advice! Even just reading these and writing back is a great distraction! Hey, there’s an idea! Working as a distracting (being that I am actually at work and all!) 

Thank you!!

I have not heard that quote - “Willpower is a muscle you use. The more you use it the stronger it gets!” - before. I love it!!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You can avoid it. My co-workers bring in crap like that all the time. Just don't look at or think about the goodies.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't allow myself to eat anything at work that I didn't bring in myself. Once you've decided to stop it becomes pretty easy. I don't even get tempted anymore.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who if I eat just one brownie I'm completely derailed, so I avoid food days all together. I just don't participate. You can choose not to participate, it's just a matter of choosing.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    The way I deal with it is I remind myself that it's not like I'll never see that food again. I don't need to have it now, I can have it another time when I'm more stable lol. Except for these crazy good gourmet cupcakes near me, if someone brings them in I always eat one cuz I very rarely have them (like 1 or 2 a year). I feel like its justified. But just a brownie? you'll see them again. Just skip it this time... I find it easier to have none than to have just 1 (I have pretty much no self control and if I have 1 brownie or doughnut or piece of cake I'll go hard and blow my entire week lol)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    This.

Or I stay the heck away from it and continue on.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Last night, there were some leftover Christmas cookies staring me in the face. I had already had my allotted 2 (travel day yesterday, so food choices were somewhat compromised, but still within my calories), & I had to remind myself I wasn't hungry, in fact I was pretty full, & that they would be there tomorrow. Sometimes it's not a problem, sometimes it's tough. Maybe find a mantra to repeat to yourself--it does help to remind yourself.
    (Of course, if you're hungry, & they're right there, it's harder, but practice makes perfect!)
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when there is food at work. It is so distracting! I try to reason with myself on a couple of points. First, a lot of the time there is no nutritional information available and I have no clue how many calories to log. I figure if I can't log it accurately, I shouldn't be eating it. Second, something like a cookie or a brownie can be bought any day if I just walk down the street from my office. I never go buy them though. It's not the money, it's the calories I don't want to spend. I figure I shouldn't eat it unless I would have gone out to buy it if it wasn't there. Most of the time the answer is no. Also, as someone else pointed out already, a lot of the time the thing isn't half as good as I'd expected anyway and then I'll feel cheated and like I wasted calories on crap. I try to keep in mind the worst version of whatever it is I've ever had and how disappointed I was. That's all if I'm being really strict on myself. Sometimes I'll just eat it, maybe try to log something similar, maybe just pretend it never happened, and move on.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If there's anything that looks good, I eat it, log it and tell the person "Hey, that (insert thing here) was really good!", then I move on.

If nothing looks good, I don't eat anything, and move on.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

This. Eat, enjoy, continue on. Life is to be lived, not deprived of the things you enjoy.
  • globalog
    Options
    When I need motivation, I look at a picture of myself at my current weight and then a picture of what I want to look like when I reach my goal. Maybe an ad for a cool pair of jeans or something. Sometimes it works. Other times, I just go for a little walk to get away from the food. Hang in there!
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Those are the hardest days for me too. I usually give in to a few sweets that I actually would like to try.. Before I would just try it all for the sake of eating it.. but think about it before you take a piece... do you really want it? Try just taking on dessert and enjoying it longer.. talk to co-workers between bites and drink lots of water with it :)
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I always pretend that the person who made it didn't wash their hands... kind of ruins it for me!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If your end goal is more important than all that food, then you won't eat it. It's okay to indulge once in a while but work food just makes me angry - it's never worth it to me. Never tastes as good.