Pressure Cooker recipes?

Options
pamperedlinny
pamperedlinny Posts: 1,558 Member
My parents bought me a Power Pressure Cooker XL for Christmas. Does anyone have any pressure cooker recipes to share????

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Um....love my pressure cooker! I do a really nice cauliflower coconut curry in my pressure cooker:
    1 can coconut milk
    1 head of cauliflower, cut into smaller pieces, don't worry about the size as they'll reduce down
    1-2 Tbsp of curry paste (found at an Asian supermarket)
    1-2 eggplants, cut into slices
    1 medium onion, diced
    2-3 Tbsp of granulated chicken flavor soup base
    2 cups of water
    1-2 cups of bean sprouts

Put in the pressure cooker on high until pressure is reached, then drop to medium and cook for 45 min.

Stir, add in a bit more bean sprouts (for some crunch) and some fresh basil leaves.

You can also add in some chicken as well for some protein.
    I usually serve this over rice :)

Hope that helps!
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty good website: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/ I don't have any written recipes per se. I use mine a lot to make pot roast and then use the lefovers for beef stew. It is also great to make hummus from dried beans (for cooking the chickpeas.) Lorna Sass has some good pressure cooker cookbooks--I picked a Kindle edition up in December on sale but it's back up to regular price now.

Enjoy! I love mine!!
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    Thanks! I can't wait to experiment. I'll def try the curry.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    OK. I made potatoes, onion, salt, pepper and margarine in the steamer over chicken broth for 10 minutes. It was a great side dish!
  • GoneGirl50
    GoneGirl50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try brazillian black beans. I received a large container full this week from a friend. It has been wonderful as a side dish, to enhance a salad, add to soup, or pair with rice. Mine had a small amount of sliced sausage (smoked, chorizo maybe). Here is a recipe, but I imagine there are many variations out there. http://www.frombraziltoyou.org/how-to-make-black-beans-2-ways/
  • mbeberniss
    mbeberniss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got one from my mom too and am a little scared to use it so would love some advice!
  • walkinbyfaith
    Options
    Nothing to fear unless you over fill them or use things you're instructed not to. Just takes a little practice. Enjoy.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A pressure cooker is a totally essential ingredient of my kitchen. (And it's the same way for a big chunk of the world's population, although if you're in the US, you don't encounter it as much.) I own two of them.

Don't think of it as something to use to make specific recipes. Just think of it as something to make life easier! Right now I'm using it to make chicken soup. I use it to prepare the potatoes for mashed potatoes, to cook beets (and hence borscht), to make stews, for anything involving beans or lentils, and of course for meat curries, vindaloo, etc.

In fact, almost every urban household in South Asia (e.g. India, Pakistan, Nepal etc) will have a pressure cooker to make dal (legumes) and meat curries (if non-vegetarian). Cooks don't think of cooking in terms of time, e.g. "cook for five minutes." They think in terms of the pressure cooker whistles, e.g. "cook for five whistles."

I do use a pan for chicken curry if it's boneless, but if there's a bone, then even chicken goes into the pressure cooker. And definitely it's used for tougher meat.

I've seen the pressure cookers sold in the US, and admittedly they do seem fancy and intimidating, with gauges and all. I've never used one like that. But if you have one with an opening on top for the whistle thingy, one safety tip is to look through it before you use it to make sure it's open.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    Update: I've now used my electric pressure cooker all week.

I made chicken soup, ziti with meat sauce, Chinese chicken and broccoli, szechuan chicken with fried rice (chicken in steamer over rice cooked simultaneously in the bottom and ground beef with potatoes, onions and carrots.

My new thought is this is my current favorite kitchen item!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Love my pressure cooker for when I'm in a hurry but when I have lots of time then love the slow cooker going all day so the house smells yummy too.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Update: I've now used my electric pressure cooker all week.

I made chicken soup, ziti with meat sauce, Chinese chicken and broccoli, szechuan chicken with fried rice (chicken in steamer over rice cooked simultaneously in the bottom and ground beef with potatoes, onions and carrots.

My new thought is this is my current favorite kitchen item!

You are becoming the pressure cooker queen! :smile: Glad you are enjoying it. I made a pork roast in mine last night. Glad you are enjoying it. I'd be lost without mine.

• pamperedlinny
    Options
    I just found a recipe for Beef Thai Red Curry for the Pressure Cooker. I can't wait to try it out.

http://www.pressurecookerdiaries.com/pressure-cooker-recipes/dinner/beef/thai-red-curry-recipe

Beef Thai Red Curry Recipe for the Pressure Cooker

Ingredients:
    1 jar Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
    (there are other brands, but this is what was at our local Wegman's)
    1 (14 oz) can of coconut milk (we used full fat, you can use lite if you want)
    1 Tbs olive oil
    2 medium onions, quartered
    1 large red bell pepper
    1 cup water
    1 Tbs brown sugar
    1 Tbs soy sauce
    1 Tbs fish sauce
    3 lbs beef chuck roast
    1 tsp kosher salt
    4 - 6 red potatoes
    1 cup rice (we used texmati brown)
    2 Tbs dried basil (we didn't include this originally, but the basil flavor really made the sauce complete and when we make it again I will definitely be including it in the cooking process rather than adding it afterwards)

Pressure Cooker Recipe Steps:

First prepare all the meat and vegetables.

Cut the meat into 1 - 2 inch section, trimming any excess fat.

Roughly cut the bell pepper, and quarter the onions.

Brown the onions and peppers in olive oil, until one side is slightly charred.

Brown the onions and peppers

Remove the vegetables and make the curry sauce:

add the cream from the top of the coconut milk, and deglaze the pan.
    Then add all 4 oz of Thai curry paste and mix well.

Cook 4 - 6 minutes until bubbling and frying. (stir often)

Cook/fry the curry and coconut milk

Add the rest of the coconut milk, the water, and the rest of the ingredients (soy sauce, brown sugar, fish sauce, basil) and mix well.

Dump the beef, and vegetables back in, and top with whole red potatoes.

Add back all the ingredients

Optional: We decided to make this a complete one pot pressure cooker meal and cooked our rice at the same time. It worked perfectly.

Place the rice, with 2 cups water, in a metal bowl. Cover with a lid or tinfoil, and carefully place on top of the curry. (Gotta love double tasking and one pot meals)

Bring to pressure on high heat then immediately reduce the heat to the lowest setting that maintains pressure and cook for 12 minutes.

Pressure cook high for 12 minutes

Use the pressure cooker natural release method.

When you open the lid, carefully remove the rice bowl, and scoop some into the bowl first. Then top with curry, meat, and veggies.

Awesome flavours - a new favorite for us

Enjoy! If you are looking to mix up the flavors in your weekly meal rotation this is a great way to do it; we'll definitely be making it again.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    following
  • squeakylynn
    squeakylynn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wolfgang Puck's--Whole chicken soup (I've made it 4 times)
    1 WHOLE chicken fresh or frozen (3-4 lbs.) do not need to thaw.
    1 medium onion quartered
    3 fresh dill sprigs
    2 carrots cut on bias
    1 celery stalk cut on bias
    1 large leek white and light green sliced
    6 cups chicken stock
    8 whole peppercorns
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    Place all in pressure cooker-secure lid
    set steam vent to seal and
    set timer to 35 minutes.
    when finished let pressure release naturally
    Use tongs to pull chicken apart.

Serves 6
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I own a Breville fast slow cooker (essentially a pressure cooker AND slow cooker in one). Just getting used to it and LOVE it. Going to try chili in it today:
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/recipe/beef-chili-with-masa-harina-in-a-stovetop-pressure-cooker.html
    That beef thai red curry looks yummy! BTW...I love the Thai Kitchen brand...expensive compared to other brands but top notch.
    Looking forward to seeing other people's input on pressure cookers