Runners....know of any good training programs?

Options
I'm looking for an easy to follow program for a half marathon. Most seem to be 12 weeks which is totally fine.
I'm fairly new to running, so the programs I'm finding I have NO Idea what most of it even means! Does anyone
know of a nice simple one? Thank you!

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Google c25k (couch to 5k) there are some free to download podcast to get you running, I believe it's 9 weeks
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Couch to 5K. It's 9 weeks and there is even a podcast on itunes. This is probably the most popular one....I'm sure you can find many other posts on the C25K!!1 Good luck!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in beginning to run a bit, my dh is doing wonderful and I wish I could get into it too. I know that our local New Balance store does running clinics.. and I've also heard if you goggle the Couch to 5k program, that its really good too. My nieghbor ran a full marathon last fall, and took 50 pounds off in the 6 months prior training for it. Wow!

Good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Marathon Rookie is the simplest one I know of;
    http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

Hal Higdon beginner program is also popular. It includes in other cross training and strenght workouts:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

If you want something more customized to you, runnersworld has the smartcoach program, where you enter in your Stats and it gives you a program:
    http://runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/1,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

Good Luck.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Team In Training. It is a program of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and they train people to complete endurance events! There is no cost for the coaching or support. You train once a week together as a team and the other days on your own and you choose and event for which you train while raising funds to fight blood cancers. It is an amazing program and has changed my life. Check out www.teamintraining.org to find a group in your area.

Additionally, I highly recommend checking out anything written by Jeff Galloway, including his website www.feffgalloway.com. He created a walk/run program that helps people of all fitness levels be able to do marathons and half marathons. Whether you are just trying to cross the finish line for the first time, or improve your time and set a personal record, he has a great program.

Hope this helps.
    Risa
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can also check in the search area of MFP - this one has been discussed a "ba-zillion" times:noway: - that I am aware of.:tongue: ..and I have not been on MFP that long. :wink:
    You can also check www.runnersworld.com.
    Tthey have excellent training plans for all levels of runners and runner "wanna- be's"
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Yeah, forget c25k, you're not training for a 5k. :huh:

Chenoachem had some good sites. I've used Hal Higdon with good success and Runnersworld.com too. Give them a look.
  • musicmrse
    musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have used the plans on runnersworld.com. Just find one you like. They explain them, too.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's training and I loved it!
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    I highly recommend Team In Training. It is a program of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and they train people to complete endurance events! There is no cost for the coaching or support. You train once a week together as a team and the other days on your own and you choose and event for which you train while raising funds to fight blood cancers. It is an amazing program and has changed my life. Check out www.teamintraining.org to find a group in your area.

I second that! TNT provides wonderful support for runners of all levels! I ran the Nike Women's Marathon last october - when I started I truly struggled with going 20 seconds straight! This was by FAR one of the most unforgettable and enjoyable experiences of my life! I wish I could continue on with TNT but the fundraising goal is a bit difficult for me to reach at this point in time.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options

I second that! TNT provides wonderful support for runners of all levels! I ran the Nike Women's Marathon last october - when I started I truly struggled with going 20 seconds straight! This was by FAR one of the most unforgettable and enjoyable experiences of my life! I wish I could continue on with TNT but the fundraising goal is a bit difficult for me to reach at this point in time.

Congrats on the Nike Marathon! I hope to do it someday! Just remember as an alumni, you can run with TNT anytime and you don't have to fundraise. I run with them every weekend whether I am fundraising for an event or not. I hope your local chapter encourages that, as mine really really encourages it.
    Also, the cool thing about training with TNT when you are just getting started is that you are running for something larger than yourself, and what a great motivator that is. I wear my purple proudly every race I run! GO TEAM!
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/201003/how-to-train-for-a-marathon-nyc-marathon-training-plan.html

This is actually for a full marathon and is the program I am currently doing. It is very straightforward.

I registered for the Nike women's marathon but was not selected in the lotto this year!