I'm in a plateau

Options
I've been stuck in a plateau for around 7 weeks, and I'm not sure how to get out of it. In this time, I've only fluctuated slightly and I believe it was water weight, 0.2 and 0.6lb.

I'm positive I am weighing everything; peanut butter, chicken, everything. I've tried switching up my calories, tried 1600 when I started lifting and before that it was just 1500 and cardio only pretty much. I've also tried switching up my workout, instead of endurance cardio I tried HIIT and more interval training, and also started lifting.

Stats:
  • Height: 5ft 8
  • Weight: 146.6lb

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Hard to say when your diary is mostly quick add calories....
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hard to say when your diary is mostly quick add calories....

Quick add's are usually when I go to a small restaurant, which has the caloric information but it isn't on the MFP database. Or when I forget to scan a barcode of something, and I just remember the calories on the packet.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I thought I was on a plateau, because for 3 weeks I haven't lost anything, but I know I felt slimmer. I just finished trying on clothes that didn't fit me before, or fit me very disturbingly, and voila! No muffin top, slim waist, I can breath and sit down in those pants lol. Have you measured yourself? I didn't, so I'm using my clothes, because apparently the scale is not my friend right now.
    I'm your height, and your weight is my target weight. Isn't 146 too low to worry about it? What is your target?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I thought I was on a plateau, because for 3 weeks I haven't lost anything, but I know I felt slimmer. I just finished trying on clothes that didn't fit me before, or fit me very disturbingly, and voila! No muffin top, slim waist, I can breath and sit down in those pants lol. Have you measured yourself? I didn't, so I'm using my clothes, because apparently the scale is not my friend right now.
    I'm your height, and your weight is my target weight. Isn't 146 too low to worry about it? What is your target?

Target is 133lb.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    you should measure yourself and take pictures, the scale is just one tool to see progress. When I was losing weight, I always had a sticking point then would lose 3-5 pounds. If really the measurements don't change for a few more weeks, time to lower your calories intake.
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you that you are at your goal weight. see Men's Health weight chart.
    http://menshealth.about.com/library/blheightweight.htm
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are pretty efficient. You metabolism can and will slow down if your body thinks it's starving. For me if I plateau sometimes I will switch up to a maintenance phase for a few days or more and let my body know it's not starving. Worth a shot for you as long as you don't gain anything back.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Yanicka1 wrote: »
    you should measure yourself and take pictures, the scale is just one tool to see progress. When I was losing weight, I always had a sticking point then would lose 3-5 pounds. If really the measurements don't change for a few more weeks, time to lower your calories intake.

I've been completely slacking in the measurements area, but I've been taking photos. I don't see any difference myself, I guess I'm just at the weight my body wants me to be at?
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to lose weight - get active instead
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Perhaps take a week or two and do completely different workouts, and then get back to it. Just to shake it up a bit. This works for most lifters I know that hit a stall.

Either that or put the weights aside for a week and do a ton of cardio. Consider it the lightning round :D
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You are 5'8 and less than 70 kilos, so its going to hard to lose weight. Your BMI is well below the overweight threshold. I am just over it and it's far harder to lose weight than when I was obese.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Perhaps take a week or two and do completely different workouts, and then get back to it. Just to shake it up a bit. This works for most lifters I know that hit a stall.

Either that or put the weights aside for a week and do a ton of cardio. Consider it the lightning round :D

It is definitely something I could do... I think i'd be so bored though ;)
    You are 5'8 and less than 70 kilos, so its going to hard to lose weight. Your BMI is well below the overweight threshold. I am just over it and it's far harder to lose weight than when I was obese.

I'm realising that now, as I come closer to my goal weight, it gets harder to lose weight.

I guess I'll have to switch everything around, different workouts (and more intense) and I'm going to start IF tomorrow.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    your motto is 'just log it' but you ain't loggin it
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck in a plateau for around 7 weeks, and I'm
    Stats:

Target is 133lb.

wat?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    your motto is 'just log it' but you ain't loggin it
    Just a few days, it's not like it's so bad that I've completely fell off the band wagon and gone back to my original weight and gained more. ;) I'll change my motto, think its a lil' contradictive :dizzy_face:

Stats:

Target is 133lb.

wat?

I'm guessing you think it's a bit too far then?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Stats:

Target is 133lb.

wat?

Agree with that. Are you trying to get slimmer, or is it that you have some pudge in places that you are still trying to get rid of? Perhaps you should contemplate building muscle mass instead of continuing to lose weight?
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had hit a plateau too! I had gone 4 weeks with no change, no inches lost, no weight lost. And was getting super frustrated. I was eating right and exercising 5 days a week and I was limiting myself to 1500 calories (or less) a day.

I did some online reading and it turns out I wasn't eating enough for my new activity level.

So check how much you are eating. You may not be eating enough calories. As soon as I started eating 200-300 more calories a day, the weight and inches started to come off again.

Good luck
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Stats:

Target is 133lb.

wat?

Agree with that. Are you trying to get slimmer, or is it that you have some pudge in places that you are still trying to get rid of? Perhaps you should contemplate building muscle mass instead of continuing to lose weight?

Definitely the second option, so you're suggesting a bulk? Or am I over thinking things here.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Target is 133lb.

That is probably too light for a man who is 5'8".
    You should probably just work on adding muscle.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Stats:

Target is 133lb.

wat?

Definitely the second option, so you're suggesting a bulk? Or am I over thinking things here.
    I'd suggest looking at a progressive resistance program if you haven't already (not sure what you're doing when you say you're weight training). There are a ton of beginner programs out there such as strong lifts, starting strength, etc.

In addition to that you could eat either at maintenance and lift for body recomposition or eat in a surplus and bulk. Because you are already very small and you're 19 (and full of tons of hormones right now), I'd recommend a bulk. Recomping is a very slow process, and a lot of people don't have the patience to stick it out.

If you do decide to do a bulk, I'd create a thread in the gaining weight section. There are ton of people on this site who have a lot of experience with bulking and can give you great advice.