Food shocks and finding their just as tasty lower alternative

Options

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Mashed Potatoes >>> Mashed Sweet Potatoes or if has to be potato then I cut out the butter, milk and sourcream and just potato with pepper.

Have you tried mashed turnips? Boil them extra long (45-50 min), with a little salt and lemon juice to cut the bitterness. The calorie difference leaves more than enough room for butter and milk like normal. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Almost my entire diet got swapped, lol. When I started reading labels and sticking to goals, my eyes popped open wide a lot, lol.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mashed Potatoes >>> Mashed Sweet Potatoes or if has to be potato then I cut out the butter, milk and sourcream and just potato with pepper.

Have you tried mashed turnips? Boil them extra long (45-50 min), with a little salt and lemon juice to cut the bitterness. The calorie difference leaves more than enough room for butter and milk like normal. :)

Rachael Ray said turnips were the cool thing for 2015. ...or maybe it was radishes. I'm not sure. One of them are supposedly "in" for food.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Shudder....My husband will mash turnips with butter, salt, and a little milk. Still tastes like dirt to me. I think it may be an acquired thing. He has never used lemon; maybe that is the secret. But I will pass :).

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Watermelon was a shocker for me! I'd somehow thought that because it was healthy, and was a fruit, and had "water" in the name, that it would be virtually calorie-free. I found that I'd eaten 800 calories at a sitting! Now I'm better with portion control.

Leading on from that, one switch has been largely replacing fruit with vegetables. As a rule, vegetables are lower in calories and just as nutritious as fruit. And (I think), they're less likely to lead to mindless snacking. If I do want a snack "fruit", I'll eat a tomato (which is difficult to do without squirting or dribbling, but then fruit sometimes has that problem too).

Recently, I've been swapping potatoes for sweet potatoes. Again, the sweet version is lower calorie, but tastes quite substantial.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Minced/ground beef, or even half'n'half pork and beef... it used to be the only meat I bought because it was cheap enough for a student. Then I realised why it's so cheap - it's nothing but fat (here in Germany, you can't get something like 90/10 unless you go to a butcher where it's expensive)

so now I've found that supermarkets sell ground turkey as well, gonna try that to see if it's better.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    Watermelon was a shocker for me! I'd somehow thought that because it was healthy, and was a fruit, and had "water" in the name, that it would be virtually calorie-free. I found that I'd eaten 800 calories at a sitting! Now I'm better with portion control.

Interesting. My experience with watermelon was exactly the opposite. I thought because it was sweet it had more calories. How did you manage to eat 6 pounds of watermelon in a setting anyway?
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options

I think one of my biggest food swaps as to make cauliflower-based alfredo (again, it really does taste JUST like the real thing, same texture and everything) - fewer than 50c in a half-cup serving. [/quote]

Can you post this? I would love the recipe too! Thanks!

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sad thread is sad
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »

^^How much watermelon did you eat? According to the data base here there are only 46 calories in 1cup of watermelon balls. I eat it all the time.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I switched regular pasta for Fiber Gourmet pasta. 1/2 the calories, ultra high fiber and it's not gritty and gray like whole wheat.

I also eat quite a bit of spaghetti squash. It's so delicious and low calories, plus it's easy to grow and can be stored for months.

I switched regular bread for lower calorie bread or low carb wraps.

I drink much less beer. Wine is a better bargain calorie-wise for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a food enthusiast so I try to swap a lot of my good ole recipes.

Spaghetti Meat Sauce >>> 97% Lean & Turkey Meat Sauce w/ more fresh veggies
    White Bread >>> Whole Wheat Bread
    Eggs >>> Mostly Egg White instead of full less cholesterol
    Sugar >>> Honey or No Sugar at all (we don't use alternatives sugar)
    Salt >>> Mrs. Dash, Paprika, More Black Pepper
    Ribeye Steak >>> Top Sirloin Steak
    White Rice >>> Quinoa/Brown Rice/Cauliflower Rice
    Vitamin D Milk >>> 1% Milk
    Sour Cream >>> Greek No Fat Yogurt + some Mustard
    Peanut Butter >>> PB2 (80% Less Fat)
    Pancakes >>> Banana Oat Pancake
    Pasta >>> whole wheat pasta
    Whole Milk Cheese >>> 2% Cheese (I will not buy anything FAT FREE) in real moderation cutting it down to 70-95% off.

Few others I can't think I'll probably remember more of it later.

We eat a lot of FISH, Seafood too more than Pork. I still stick with my chicken.

Just saying- trading off white carbs- for whole wheat ones don't save you anything.

not for nothing- but most of these aren't saving you enough calories to make the trade off unless you really love the alternative.
    /quote]

I had to admit- I had this one too- I eat A LOT of watermelon- like easily 1/4 of a large one on my own. It adds up.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I switched regular pasta for Fiber Gourmet pasta. 1/2 the calories, ultra high fiber and it's not gritty and gray like whole wheat.

This is good to hear. I like the Fiber Gourmet crackers but was on the fence about the pasta. I'm definitely going to try it now!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Never ever thought I'd eat kale. I only like spinach in a nice cheese dip, I assumed kale had that same dead, wilted leaf flavor, but it doesn't. At least for me it has almost no flavor and will simply taste like whatever you put in/on it. Its also very filling. I saute onions and garlic in a bit of virgin coconut oil (the one that actually tastes like coconut), then add the kale. Delicious! Almost a little sweet with the right onions (carmelized). I use as a bed for beans instead of rice.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Never ever thought I'd eat kale. I only like spinach in a nice cheese dip, I assumed kale had that same dead, wilted leaf flavor, but it doesn't. At least for me it has almost no flavor and will simply taste like whatever you put in/on it. Its also very filling. I saute onions and garlic in a bit of virgin coconut oil (the one that actually tastes like coconut), then add the kale. Delicious! Almost a little sweet with the right onions (carmelized). I use as a bed for beans instead of rice.

Kale is good in soups as a low cal substitute for rice, barley or other starchy foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Whole Milk Cheese >>> 2% Cheese (I will not buy anything FAT FREE) in real moderation cutting it down to 70-95% off.

We eat a lot of FISH, Seafood too more than Pork. I still stick with my chicken.

Ok I have to comment on this... Fat isn't the enemy. You'll be more satisfied and fuller if you keep at least SOME full fat items. I use 1% milk (rarely anyway) but stopped using 2% cheese (except American cheese slices once in a while) and nonfat yogurt. Also nut butter is way more satisfying than PB2 (which I still use occasionally, but it's really not as filling).

99% ground turkey for example is pretty nasty and 93% is much more satisfying... totally worth the extra 30? calories per serving.

Also, cholesterol in eggs has no impact on your cholesterol, and whole eggs have way more nutrients than the whites only. It doesn't mean I don't have some egg whites, but replacing all the eggs by egg whites is really unnecessary.

And what's wrong with potatoes????

I agree with trading 'white' bread and pasta for whole wheat for the extra fiber though, but I don't think it makes a huge difference so if people don't like the whole wheat stuff, it's not a huge deal... calories are pretty much the same.
  • DonT58
    DonT58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Whole foods for processed foods
    Lettuce/raw veggies for white bread, tortillas & crackers
    Salsa for salad dressing
    Garlic, olives, tumeric & ginger for cheese
    Various combinations of whole grains or cereals, fresh fruit, nonfat greek yogurt, cinnaman, very dark chocolate, & cocoa for sugary desserts

I've become very anal about what I eat - many restaurants are impossible (the food is just not worthy of consumption). Went to Chili's the other night after a movie and nothing on that menu was worth eating - I drank tea and enjoyed my friends company while they ate. Near starving I went home and had a bowl of garbanzo beans, black beans with chicken breast meat, fresh chopped garlic and a habanaro sauce with a side of blackberries. To kill for - worth the wait.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ok I have to comment on this... Fat isn't the enemy. You'll be more satisfied and fuller if you keep at least SOME full fat items. I use 1% milk (rarely anyway) but stopped using 2% cheese (except American cheese slices once in a while) and nonfat yogurt. Also nut butter is way more satisfying than PB2 (which I still use occasionally, but it's really not as filling).

99% ground turkey for example is pretty nasty and 93% is much more satisfying... totally worth the extra 30? calories per serving.

Also, cholesterol in eggs has no impact on your cholesterol, and whole eggs have way more nutrients than the whites only. It doesn't mean I don't have some egg whites, but replacing all the eggs by egg whites is really unnecessary.

And what's wrong with potatoes????

I agree with trading 'white' bread and pasta for whole wheat for the extra fiber though, but I don't think it makes a huge difference so if people don't like the whole wheat stuff, it's not a huge deal... calories are pretty much the same.

*nods*
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I always ate whole wheat but one big switch was making homemade low calorie whole wheat breads, pastas, and pizza crust myself and I just freeze them so I will have them when I need to use!

additionally instead of frozen vegetarian burgers I make my own lower calorie veggie burgers and freeze them

another is homemade protein bars! They are a lot larger than quest, luna, and cliff bars and have fewer calories!

oh and almond milk for milk...
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have a reverse realization. I used to do NF milk and LF cheese slices and neufchatel isntead of cream cheese and crap like that... when you look at the differences in calories (AND the differences in taste), it's way more worth it to eat / drink the real thing. Now it's only whole milk and full fat cheese for me. Although, I still do nonfat yogurt and 2% cottage cheese.