Any reformed smokers?

Options
124»

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    27+ years of 30 Classic Cowboy Killers a day.

Quit 17 November 2011

I lost 36 pounds in the first 6 months. Quit smoking, cleaned up the nutrition a bit and started running. All at the same time.

Weight gain doesn't have to happen if you don't want it.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker from age 12 to age 23. Pack a day - at least! Ugh.

I too quit, and feel so much better for doing so! I'm now 28 and I haven't had a cigarette-slip-up in at least 4 years. :) I gained a little weight - it's true what they say, you gain it because you replace the habit. It was not an astronomical amount of weight though.

Just be mindful the first few months of what you're putting in your mouth. Our brain is addicted to the hand to mouth sensation, so that's why people usually replace cigarettes with food. Just know that you're doing the right thing and don't give up. Good luck!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    27+ years of 30 Classic Cowboy Killers a day.

Quit 17 November 2011

I lost 36 pounds in the first 6 months. Quit smoking, cleaned up the nutrition a bit and started running. All at the same time.

Weight gain doesn't have to happen if you don't want it.

Seriously? Of course I don't want it...and my eating hasn't changed at all. Still eating at my deficit and my logging is accurate. I weigh/measure daily and use a food scale. I haven't replaced one bad habit with another and when I get a craving I pick up my knitting needles or do a small project (my closet has never been cleaner).

So saying that I wanted to gain weight is so off base it's not even funny.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I smoked from age 12 to age 29. I'm 52 now. I had a 2 pack a day habit. I did gain weight when I quit, but it was so worth quitting. I was foolish and replaced the cigarettes with hard candy. Bad idea. Don't do that.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I smoked from age 12 to age 29. I'm 52 now. I had a 2 pack a day habit. I did gain weight when I quit, but it was so worth quitting. I was foolish and replaced the cigarettes with hard candy. Bad idea. Don't do that.

hahahaha...I'm hoping this 1.7 pound gain is the last of it. I can't eat hard candy because I wear braces so at least I'll be ok there!!!

• kwashington83
    kwashington83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was a pretty heavy smoker at 20+ a day and smoked for 13 years, I quit for good 11 months ago with my hubby with the help of champix through nhs. I've gained a stone of the course of that time but was due to me overeating , now a week into my weight loss and 4lb down. you can do it :-)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I magically lost that 1.7 pounds overnight (with an additional .2 pounds) so I guess maybe I was retaining a little water yesterday or something? I think I may have to go back to daily weigh-ins so I can monitor the situation more closely...
  • brundine
    Options
    I am a year and 7 months smoke free and I did gain some weight but am now working to lose it. Remember nicotine is a stimulant which helped you burn calories. The weight may seem bad but what I have been able to purchase like a new dryer, a new flat screen TV and a huge swing set for the kids kinda makes up for it. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I quit today. Just had it and decided I don't want to be a smoker anymore.

I keep hearing about weight gain assoicated with quitting. Was curious about what other's experieces were...did you gain? how much? how quickly did it happen (like - will I gain 5 pounds by Saturday?)? Was the gain so bad that you wanted to start smoking again?
    Good for you. I quit over 11 years ago after smoking for 20 years (never smoked a full cigarette and maybe smoked half a pack a day). If there was ANYTHING that I wished I could have changed, that would have been it.

Weight gain happens from eating more than you burn. While smoking does slightly increase your calorie burn (from higher heart rate), the health issues caused by them totally trump that burn. You can compensate by just exercise a little everyday. And that's much better for your health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• amber5151
    amber5151 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 years ago. The cravings are still there but not as bad. I agree with @fdfallie everything tastes amazing when you quit smoking. Every day gets easier! Take it one craving at a time and muscle through it!
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I quit a month ago. Well, actually, 38 days ago. :) I put on 10 lbs, but it was the holidays, I went on vacation, and I ate SO MUCH JUNK. I think if I hadn't been in the holiday mindframe, I probably wouldn't have put on any weight at all. I'm now back to tracking my calories and working out again, so those 10 lbs will be gone in no time. It's not always easy, but you will thank yourself. I promise.
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I quit today. Just had it and decided I don't want to be a smoker anymore.

I keep hearing about weight gain assoicated with quitting. Was curious about what other's experieces were...did you gain? how much? how quickly did it happen (like - will I gain 5 pounds by Saturday?)? Was the gain so bad that you wanted to start smoking again?

It's different for everyone's body. Quitting doesn't mean you'll gain weight. In fact, it will probably only have a positive effect on your body as long as you manage any stress the first three days after quitting. After that, the craving become fewer and father between. Just don't binge during the three day withdrawal period.

Whenever I smoke, I become less active and thus, I gain weight. Whenever I stop smoking, I am able to start living a physically healthy lifestyle and so I lose weight and become fit. I've gone years where I smoked and years where I haven't, and it was always the years I smoked that I was overweight.