Diastasis recti and Yoga

Options
Can any of you veterans tell me if yoga may be too intense for a diastasis recti from being pregnant 2 years in a row?
Do I need to do some core strengthening before even starting a newbie yoga program?
I DO NOT want to make it worse. I already have enough 'old baby house' sticking out in that area! :p

Replies

• leahszrk
    Options
    Semi-shameless bump for PM-ers. :|

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yoga is probably one of the best things you can do, along with pilates and other core-focused movements. Not sure how old your little ones are, but it takes time more than anything else for the diastasis recti to heal, and for many women it never heals completely. Babies #3 and #4 were pretty much back-to-back for me, and it took a full year for it to mostly go back together. I used to have a nearly 2-inch gap, and now it's maybe 1/2 inch, if that. Compromised abdominal muscle integrity will also weaken your back, so be careful!
  • leahszrk
    leahszrk Posts: 23
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    Yoga is probably one of the best things you can do, along with pilates and other core-focused movements. Not sure how old your little ones are, but it takes time more than anything else for the diastasis recti to heal, and for many women it never heals completely. Babies #3 and #4 were pretty much back-to-back for me, and it took a full year for it to mostly go back together. I used to have a nearly 2-inch gap, and now it's maybe 1/2 inch, if that. Compromised abdominal muscle integrity will also weaken your back, so be careful!
    Thanks gal.
    My youngest just turned 2 and they are 13.5 months apart. Earlier in 2014 I tried a workout program and my core was still just too shot. It was quite painful and noticed even more puffing!
    I've been doing some simple strengthening exercises and breathing that I've found online (Mimi is the name) and really want to join a program of some type to get my core strength back so I can move on to a more intense program that my body (and mind) is craving! I miss that adrenaline rush and feeling of accomplishment! Rarr!
    I just wasn't sure if there was a 'baby step' in-between yoga/pilate's to prevent further damage/"puffing".
    I'm finding that a lot of people don't even know what D.R. is! Even some trainers have recommend some advanced planks and sit-ups when it would just make things worse and/or cause damage.

Thanks much for your time. I'm going to find the yoga for crazy-newbies...maybe even a Mommy-and-me yoga that I'm sure focuses on core the most...but won't bring my rambunctious toddler! :p
    Thanks again!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Yoga and Pilate's should be the way to go. Avoid traditional sit ups. Anything that causes you to push your stomach muscles out is not productive.

It good that you know about it so early. I had no idea I had to rehab muscles after pregnancy. So, 18 years later I had a 3 inch separation surgically repaired.

Core bracing may help. Tighten your abs and pull them in, flex upper and lower abs.
  • leahszrk
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Yoga and Pilate's should be the way to go. Avoid traditional sit ups. Anything that causes you to push your stomach muscles out is not productive.

It good that you know about it so early. I had no idea I had to rehab muscles after pregnancy. So, 18 years later I had a 3 inch separation surgically repaired.

Core bracing may help. Tighten your abs and pull them in, flex upper and lower abs.

Awe. I'm sorry you had to end up with surgical intervention. That's tough!

Thanks for the "core bracing" suggestion! Going to do some research when the kiddos are down for bed tonight!

Happy New Year!

• Elise4270
    Options
    leahszrk wrote: »

Awe. I'm sorry you had to end up with surgical intervention. That's tough!

Thanks for the "core bracing" suggestion! Going to do some research when the kiddos are down for bed tonight!

Happy New Year!

Hee hee not really. After twins they removed 10.5 inches of skin. (About from bb to hip line). So all the flabby-ness that looked like elephant skin was removed.

No more "fat roll round up" when sitting down. And I am now getting my back back in order and core strength.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Can you point me somewhere to learn about DR? I'll google it, but I had two babies back to back and I've noticed my core is super weak. I've been doing modified plank and crunches but I still have a decent baby belly and my youngest is almost 2
  • leahszrk
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Can you point me somewhere to learn about DR? I'll google it, but I had two babies back to back and I've noticed my core is super weak. I've been doing modified plank and crunches but I still have a decent baby belly and my youngest is almost 2

Here's my go-to reference until I find a real-life mentor/health person:

http://www.befitmom.com/diastasis_recti.html

I would love to get this program, but I need a live person coaching me.
  • leahszrk
    edited January 2015
    Options

And I guess planks/crunches are the worst for this condition until the ab wall strengthens/closes some.
    It's the catch 22 that is kept me from loosing my baby weight. (Among some other events) and having a knowledgeable trainer. :(
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Mountain climbers, burpees, throw downs, and I heard planks are good, keep your stomach tight not pooched out. Pilates. A good cardio class should be helpful. Don't be afraid to ask the instructor if its the right fit for you.
  • leahszrk
    Options
    Mountain climbers, burpees, throw downs, and I heard planks are good, keep your stomach tight not pooched out. Pilates. A good cardio class should be helpful. Don't be afraid to ask the instructor if its the right fit for you.

Thank you so much!!!
    I'm thinking about Zumba, too!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Mountain climbers, burpees, throw downs

Just want to say that those are pretty forceful exercises for the abs, so i'd check with a medical professional before doing them.

leahszrk wrote: »
    It's the catch 22 that is kept me from loosing my baby weight.

Fortunately ab exercises aren't necessary for weight loss.

• Elise4270
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I remember ab spasms, waking up with muscles involuntarily tightened up after my kids were born. It was like my body was on autopilot trying to recover and regain strength.

If something seems hard, like mountain climbers, lord I hate burpees, then just modify or do how every many you can. Mix it up. I don't think there are any easy ab work outs.
    Although, my physical therapist just assigned me ball work for core strength. That could be the way to start. Like 15$ at Walmart, you tube and it even came with some uses.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Goohle the tupplar (tuppler?) Technique. Helped to bring my 4 finger DR down to 1 finger after I had 3 large babies in 3 years (my smallest was 9# 2oz)
  • leahszrk
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Goohle the tupplar (tuppler?) Technique. Helped to bring my 4 finger DR down to 1 finger after I had 3 large babies in 3 years (my smallest was 9# 2oz)
    Awesome!
    Gotta love those 9+ pound babies!!! And natural! Rarrr! ;)