Is there a lo carb bread for lo carb diet???

Options
I am on lo or no carb diet and really
miss bread, sandwiches are my fave thing to eat and usually have 2 a day ( breakfast and lunch)

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you miss sandwiches and they are your favorite food, then a low-carb diet may not be sustainable for you. I don't know about much low carb, but I have seen a lot of people mention Ezekiel bread. People seem to either love it or hate it (and a lot of people say it's better when toasted), but it's a sprouted grain based bread. Not sure if it's actually lower carb though.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There are some alternatives out there, but I'm not sure what they are, as the stuff that's in them makes me mildly nauseous and interferes with ketosis, so I just don't go there, (except for the little bitty pieces of bread that are on the Atkins frozen breakfast sandwiches - that's a weakness of mine!). There are a couple of low carb forums here - try joining them and asking; someone on those boards will be quickly able to help, I'm sure!
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There are lots of low carb bread type products. I would suggest going to a health food store for diabetic people. That or I am sure you can order online. Or make your own. Look up some recipes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    most of them are crap, move on and find alternative meals.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am doing a ketogenic diet (5% carbs) in addition to calorie counting. But... I don't miss bread/pasta. If you really find that you miss bread, try something like a sprouted grain bread, which is moderately low in carbs naturally and has a good bit of fiber and protein. Before I switched to keto, I was already eating low carb and ate Silver Hills Little Big Bread several days/week, always toasted. Was great for tuna melts, egg sandwiches, club sandwiches, BLTs, etc. Even just for spreading peanut butter on.

Little-Big-Bread-USA-Sept-2014-297x1024.jpg

the 43gram serving size is for two slices and I found it pretty spot on for two slices from the middle of the loaf.
  • samanthannepstein
    samanthannepstein Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekiel bread a lot! They have it at trader joes and in the frozen section at my local grocery store. It comes highly recommended by many!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekiel bread a lot! They have it at trader joes and in the frozen section at my local grocery store. It comes highly recommended by many!

16 grams of carbohydrate per slice ?

• kyc90250
    kyc90250 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you can buy 40 cal. bread, they sell it at Wal-Mart or your local grocery store, I usually buy natures own honey wheat and its only 40 calories per slice
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's called "no bread."
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    lo or no carb? how low do you go?
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Cut a plain "omelet" in half and use it as bread. I have blood sugar issues and use eggs in the form of bread. Not fun, but neither is having diabetes.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My hubby makes his own bread substitute using almond meal. I'll see if I can get the recipe for you when he gets home.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    None worth eating, that's for sure.

I'm not a fan of heavily processed food. If you're gonna eat low carb, the grains and grain based foods pretty much need to go bye-bye.

FWIW, though, if you're going to go low carb long term, learn the joys of sautees and carmelized veggies, and don't fear the butter. Believe it or not, you'll do okay.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Are you doing no/low carb for medical reasons, or for weight loss?
    If it's for weight loss, there's no need to go low carb to lose weight, and you can find a lot of light calorie options to fit into your sandwich needs.
  • RavenaRae
    RavenaRae Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In understand what you're going through. I'm diabetic and had to give up almost all bread to help control it. And I love bread!! Nature's Own has a sugar free whole wheat bread that's actually pretty good. Doesn't taste like sandpaper like so many do. So far I've only found it at Walmart.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can compromise, have one a day intead? Low carb doesn't mean "NO" carb. I like the sandwich thins. While they are still higher in carbs, I think you can still fit them in and still be "Low" carb. Maybe even just work one in now and then. Whole grains are good for you :)
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Some supermarkets carry a lower carb bread. I think the brand at our store is Healthy Life. There are also some brands of lower carb flatbreads and pita breads (Joseph's Lavish and Flatout). The carbs are still high but they have a lot of fiber so if you're only counting net carbs they are much lower. There are many recipes for making bread and other bread type things (muffins, bagels, buns, etc) using coconut flour, almond flour, flaxseed among other things. NONE of them taste like bread, but are lower carb alternatives. You can use grated Parmesan or crushed pork rinds in place of bread crumbs in many recipes. Using lettuce instead of a bun is great for sandwiches and burgers. It's like eating them inside out.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I like this. 27g in 3 slices.

prdLarge_11800.jpg

More info on webpage...

http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=754&prdID=11800
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    http://www.julianbakery.com/bread-product/paleo-bread-almond/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA8rilBRDZu_G8hszXraoBEiQABlB9Y9-tzwu764Xgxl_v8f9iggmiVLbeex11j0KtwRv83pkaAkGJ8P8HAQ

(The link above is to the Paleo Bread.)

I have heard of one called Paleo Bread. The only place I've been able to find it is at Whole Foods. Haven't tried it, yet, because it is pricey. But it does have rave reviews. The nutritional facts are:

Serving Size
    1 slice (43g)

Servings Per Loaf
    Approx. 16

Amount Per Serving

Calories 60
    Calories from Fat 30

% Daily Value
    Total Fat 3g
    5%

Saturated Fat 1g
    4%

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg
    0%

Sodium 70mg
    3%

Potassium 200mg
    6%

Ttal Carbohydrate 6g (1 Digestible Carb)
    2%

Dietary Fiber 5g
    21%

Net Carbs 1g

0%

Soluble Fiber 1g