So when is this amazing feeling supposed to kick in?

Options
So the title says it all, but let me elaborate and give some back story. I’ve always been a big guy, I’m 6” 7’ and have had such nicknames as ‘Shrek’, ‘ogre’, and ‘gigantor’. Sometime around January I had a doctor appointment for reoccurring chest pains and I weighed 497 pounds, and I thought to myself “well that aint good”. I work in IT, have a very stressful home life, and had already suffered a type of heart attack, Acute pericarditis, not MI, from a double whammy of life(wife absconded with the kids, and I got fired), and I didn’t want that to happen again. Because I work in IT on the night shift, I have a lot of free time; I started working out by climbing the stairs. The first time was strenuous, and several lifetimes later I had done it for 30 minutes. Did this till April, and weighing 471 pounds, a good friend bought me a gym membership till the end may; which came a free personal trainer consult. Well I must have impressed the guy cause he started giving me personal training twice a week for free (I know right?!?!), Strength training, full speed ahead!!

Fast forward to now, i'm 65 pounds lighter…..and I feel no different. I still have no energy, joints hurt, and hunger hasn’t diminished one iota. I hear stories about how people drop 20, 30, 50 pounds and suddenly color floods back into the universe, the birds sing sweet melodies, and every step has an extra spring in it. Me, I feel absolutely no change what so ever. So I’m wondering if this change is heralded by some sort of trumpeting from the sky, or a parting of the clouds, because I've yet to see it.

PS. For all you “oh you’re not healthy/feeling good because you have low vitamins, high blood pressure, anemia, proper ‘new age’ diet”, I say BOLLUKS to you. Blood pressure is and has pretty much always been 118/74 and really only deviates when I’m busting my *kitten*. Every level recordable is within parameters and along standard norms. I’m just one of those healthy fat guys.

Replies

• Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a percentage of weight lost.....i just started really feeling good when I hit about 65 off, with 100 to go. But i heard no angels singing......just felt tons better.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    well you still weigh 400 lbs that is alot of weight to carry around all day. Work on incorporating veggies good food and movement you will feel better. You did not feel like crap all at once it is cumalitive. As for numbers being ok meaning healthy not so, tell that to my buddy that had cholesterol of 170 bp 120/80 and ended up having a 90 percent blocked arterey, it will catch up it always does. This is a process you must change your mind as well. Good luck
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    have you considered the possibility that you suffer from clinical depression? that could be why the world doesn't appear 'in color' to you. Depression disconnects you from your emotions. this includes the ability to feel GOOD or be happy.
    If your nutrition and training are working out well but you still feel 'blah' or even worse, my advice is to get your serotonin level tested & get screened for depression.
    feel better
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Growing up in a family of big people I know how hard it is to get started. You are doing awesome but you do have a long way to go...given your size, I would guess that you will really start feeling better after another 100lbs down. Keep at it, you are doing an amazing job!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've experienced that clouds parting/angels singing feeling, either. But I'm proud of my progress so far. I can (on a good day) climb a flight of stairs without getting out of breathe. I am becoming reaquainted with my bone structure. That feels pretty good, but it's all I've got so far.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I’m 6” 7’ and have had such nicknames as I weighed 497 pounds, Did this till April, and weighing 471 pounds, Fast forward to now, i'm 65 pounds lighter…..and I feel no different. I still have no energy

so now you are around 400-410lb?

you are probably going to have to keep pushing through to start feeling better.

you are twice the weight you should be for your height, your BMI is 45, which is 20 points out from the 20-25 range, which means although you have done great so far, your body is still struggling with the extra 200 pounds. I'm pretty sure anyone would feel a but under the weather carrying that much around a day. your still at a weight that is very bad for your health to put it nicely.

just keep going man, you have done really awesomely well so far to get to where you are now, a lot of people would have just given up, so keep going, you will get there.
  • baozytools12
    Options
    Keep working hard man. When you reach less than 200 lbs then you will feel good .. you are still 400lbs which is morbidly obese. I don't care how 'healthy' you think you are with the blood pressure and all that ... you are not healthy YET!
  • OnDatBulk
    OnDatBulk Posts: 10
    Options
    you've made a lot of progress since you started dude, dont get discouraged. nothing comes easy. that feeling you get will come to you when you realize that what you are doing is completely worth it and the true way to go. dont give up hope and keep grinding. its a long journey but its worth it in the end
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on working to become a healthier you.

Weight loss is a gradual process and I don't truly think there is a sudden "Woohoo" moment where everything seems so much better.

I started out at 193.4 kg (426 lb), and I'm now 128 kg (282 lb). I do feel a lot better, but I can't say there was a defining moment when I realised that I was feeling better. As you improve the new becomes the norm and that line keeps shifting - so gradual that until you've reached a marked difference in ability and wight you don't feel like anything is really changing except the number on the scales.

Our mind can be one of the trickiest things to deal with. I think it helps to remember back to before you start losing weight. What is different?.....

You mentioned climbing the stairs - that's a huge improvement right there, Working out twice a week at the gym - huge improvement. Could you have done that back at the beginning? How's your willpower and determination when it comes to eating and exercising? I'm sure you can list a few changes there.

There are many times I look in the mirror and feel flat because I don't see the person I think I should be for losing so much weight ... but I still have a long way to go and I have to stop and appreciate the changes for what they are. I KNOW I have more energy, I feel like doing more things, I want to go places and attempt things that were beyond me before, and possibly still are LOL, but the fact that I'm thinking about them tells me my whole attitude has slowly changed.

:smile: Keep up the great work.
    :happy: Appreciate how far you've come.
    :bigsmile: Keep in mind the goal of where you want to get to, but don't fret over the time it will take.
    :flowerforyou: Be kind to yourself - by eating well, continuing the great exercise, and accepting that you are changing - inside and out.

Best wishes.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hurray for MFP people! I feel that you are getting really good responses and support from people. You're doing so well, especially under the most trying circumstances--and the effort has to go on for awhile until the harps of freedom play. It might not have to be under 200 pounds as one person suggested...you might start feeling great at 250. or even a little above. One day you'll notice that your workout feels a little on the easy side and that maybe you can ramp it up. You'll notice that a walk you've taken regularly from one place to another now takes you less time. As much as 65 pounds is, and though you have almost certainly already made a difference in your longevity and overall health, 400 pounds is a lot to carry around. the great thing is the more you CARRY it around, i.e. exercise, the less of it you're going to need to carry.

I'm so sorry for your troubles and hope you don't ignore the person who also mentioned clinical depression. It would be hard for someone in your situation to NOT feel depressed. I highly recommend an evaluation.

Stick with you. You are proving that it can be done. We can't control what bosses, families or others do, but we can control whether we take care of our own bodies.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think the same thought sometimes. I still have 70 pds to lose. YOU WILL FEEL GOOD AND ENERGETIC. You and I are not
    close enough to goal to feel super energetic. REALITY.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't feel particularly energetic either, but I focus on the little things - I can climb a flight of stairs much easier now, my knees and back don't hurt as much as they used to and I'm able to walk further without getting winded.

Am I super in shape? Heck no - and I won't be for quite a while - there are still times I rush around and get out of breath and I still have some ache in my knees and back, but I do feel a bit healthier.

Try to focus on the small things - even if you don't see it now, working out and eating healthy can only yield positive results, so keep at it - eventually you'll see the changes you want to.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I also think it could be depression due to your stressful home life ((hugs)).
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line is that it's not magic. You won't suddenly feel amazing, it's just a gradual thing. It's one of those things where you may not realise that you're getting better, but I bet if you snapped back to your original weight and fitness you'd notice the difference.

Bear in mind that you are still over 400lbs, so you have a long way to go, your body has been working way to hard for way too long, just keep plugging away.

Also, just a word of advice, if people ask if you may have high blood pressure etc etc, don't get an attitude with them. People on here will generally be civil to you if you are civil to them. Most people really want to help.

Good luck with getting to where you want to be, but don't feel like 'diet and exercise' owes you anything, it's only your hard work that will do this, and sometimes it will feel like torture. They're the days when it's really happening.
  • falloutspud
    falloutspud Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i know right? i'm nearly 4stone down and people keep saying 'don't you feel better for it?'

Frankly NO!

i've come to figure my body is about as unhappy as it can get right now but thats due to it being in constant flux. plus all the comfort food i'd usually reach for is off limits!

i dont figure my health is gonna feel great for a while yet but when i reach the point of 'balance' and my body settles down, maybe then the blue skies and birdsong will come... til then i'm in it for the fight and lets face facts i (we're) worth fighting for!
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It does come eventually. I don't think I started feeling it until I hit the 200's and started feeling "normal" compared to everyone around me. Keep going! You all of a sudden do not wake up and see color. Color creeps back in, a little at a time, and one day, it hits when you compare when you are now, with where you were.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Some great responses above already.

It does sound like you may have some depression issues so seeing a doctor about it may be a good start.

Regarding still having a lack of energy, it does also come down with how you are losing weight. Personally I have found losing weight through diet helped. But moving more (yes, exercise) helped more.

I say "movement" because initially my exercise consisted of nothing more intense than just a gentle stroll around the block. As I lost weight and got fitter, I incorporated more exercise into my daily routine - both intended and incidental. 2 years on, I now enjoy playing sports (something I have not done for many years). I strength train. I run. But I built this up slowly.

Keep it up, the benefits of weight loss and living a healthy, active lifestyle are many. Be patient, Be persistent.

PS having re-read the original post I understand that the OP does exercise. So perhaps my advice was a little general - but it did come from personal experience. However I still stand by my words generally speaking.
  • CDub73
    CDub73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Could be several reasons.

-Bacteria in your digestive tract slowing you down.

-Difficulty digesting specific foods tiring you out

-Depression...if you do, you might see a doctor. Until then, try to put a more positive spin on things, even if something completely sucks. If someone hits you in the face, smile at how you could care less. Fake it till you make it. Force yourself to see silver linings. Smile at everything, no matter how obnoxious it might be.

-Focusing on progression. This goes hand in hand with the previous statement. Give yourself credit for losing weight, becoming more physical, and how you're better off now than a day or months ago.

More importantly, and I bet this influences alot with how you feel...

-Go outside!. I know how dull an office job and IT can be, especially on night shift. Take a walk during the day, go hit some golf balls at the driving range, just get outside and get in touch with that primitive side of you. Routine sedentary lifestyles, especially when you aren't engaging your mind, and even when you do exercise and eat right, can wear you out and put you into a mental brain fog. I say this from experience. I used to work for an HR department for a military base and rarely got up to walk or go outside. I was completely miserable during that time. Then I got transferred to another department pushing out IT hardware/software all across the base. I got to move around more, engaged a variety of people instead of hearing the same old complaints, and life got a whole lot better off the job and on.

-Also, try some cold showers in the morning ;) They suck at first, but I'm a big fan of cold showers vs warm and how it knocks off any brain fog you have going on.

Keep working hard brotha!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Make a list of the things you can do now that you couldn't do at your biggest. Include what you can do now at the gym. Keep this list somewhere safe. In a month make a new one and compare. Also measure and record size loss. Also plan a non food treat for each milestone reached. It doesn't have to cost loads but be something that means a lot to you.

It will get better. I have lost 140 pounds and now I can walk without pain which is what I wanted. There may not be rainbows and the sound of angels singing but I have a life which I am comfortable and confident in which is much more important.

Keep going you deserve it.