Fitness after illness

Options
Anyone else in this boat?

I used MFP over 4 years ago with great results.... And then I got injured. Badly. I was running 16 mi. Long runs and tore my labrum on both hips, and hurt a ligament in my ankle too. (PTT). Just as my rehab was doing well, I got diagnosed with neuro Lyme, which took me down for another year. So here I am, about 4 years later, and a good 25-30 lbs heavier. Heaviest of my life. I love fitness and am dying to get back in shape. It's frustrating. I want to go fast, but am forcing myself to take it super easy so that I don't re-injure.

Replies

• Fitasticme
    Fitasticme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to MFP! Just take it a little bit at a time. I can tell you're really motivated and that's inspiring.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am similar to you. I ran into some major health problems with my ulcerative colitis last summer. Long story very short-- being on Prednisone I have gained 19 pounds. I had lost 36 pounds here over a year ago. So my doctor told me to start with 10 minutes a day of exercise. So I did that the first week. Now I am up to 15 minutes, twice a day. It has really helped with my endurance. Compared to what I used to, it is not much, but at least it is something. Make sure to do weight bearing exercises-- even if you have to start with 3lb weights, like I did. Good luck, and feel free to add me, if you want.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    thank you ladies for your comments! Still figuring out how to add friends through the ipad app - i'm not finding it easily. And sorry for the delayed response - didn't see yours until now. Getting the hang of this thing again.... a lot has changed since I last tried this tool