Healthy vegetarian meal ideas for sworn carnivores?

Options
catinkpin
catinkpin Posts: 30 Member
So I am a "most-of-the-time" vegetarian - I was fully vegetarian until my now-husband moved in 2 years ago, now I eat some seafood so that we have at least a little bit of meal variety.
That said, I'm getting sick of the same old, same old recipes (at least the healthy ones). My husband also hates onion and isn't big on tomato which makes things even more tricky :wink: !

Does anyone have any good ideas for vegetarian dinner recipes that you like (if you are not vegetarian) or that your carnivore friends like?

Replies

• fowlerrobert57
    Options
    have you tried dry brown beans. I have a electric pressure cooker and it only takes 20 to 30minutes to get them done. (pinto, kidney, blackeye peas) High in protein low fat and meaty taste. They can be added to rice or add hot sauce and tomatoes and various spices. You husband can add beef or pork and you can add onions. There are many ways to use them and very tasty.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and my husband is not. Meat free dishes that he enjoys are all sorts of pasta (you could use a garlic and oil sauce for your husband if he doesn't like tomato), potato pierogi, bean chili, bean burritos, Asian noodle dishes and different types of soups.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    catinkpin wrote: »
    So I am a "most-of-the-time" vegetarian - I was fully vegetarian until my now-husband moved in 2 years ago, now I eat some seafood so that we have at least a little bit of meal variety.
    That said, I'm getting sick of the same old, same old recipes (at least the healthy ones). My husband also hates onion and isn't big on tomato which makes things even more tricky :wink: !

Does anyone have any good ideas for vegetarian dinner recipes that you like (if you are not vegetarian) or that your carnivore friends like?

I made this tonight and omitted the diced tomato and tomato sauce and some of the spices she used. I also subbed her bell peppers for one serano and one jalapeño. It has onion but you can just use garlic. I also skipped oil all together and sautéed my onion in water. Not sure if that would be considered a sauté or exactly what that would be called. It turned out great! I will be making this again.

http://www.kaylachandler.com

PS. I also cut the recipe down. I only used 1 can of black beans and 1 can of great northern beans.

I also added one boiled red potato cut into cubes.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My family isn't vegetarian but we eat some meatless meals.
    Mexican manicotti
    Minestrone
    Fassolatha
    Lemon Lentil soup
    Macaroni and cheese
    Bean and cheese burritoes
    Greek potatoes
    Stuffed or twice baked potatoes
    Salad
    Tortellini with alfredo sauce
    Cheese ravioli
    Cheese and spinach lasagna