• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why can't you eat pasta OP???

what are bad carbs?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Veggies!!! Always veg! I don't eat any rice, bread, pasta etc but my carbs are always spot on because of how much salads, veg ans fruit I eat :)

In moderation, there's nothing wrong with rice/bread/pasta... lol
  • Sagenettle
    Sagenettle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yikes just saw all these replies. Sorry guys, guess I was just channeling my nutrition professor stressing against all the "white" carbs.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Go for the couscous. Add to it lemon juice, fresh basil, raisins and toasted almonds.
    You are welcome
    Or small McDonald's french fries

^^Both of these sound great! I also like some good, toasted homemade white bread, too. Save some room for good butter on it. I don't need the fiber from whole grain bread or brown rice (I don't like the taste of either), since I hit 35-40g fiber daily from my tasty tortillas, oats, beans, fruits and veggies.
  • douggyr
    douggyr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, I have to be concerned about 'good' and 'bad' carbs. Here is a rule of thumb: If the carb is highly processed (such as white rice) then that is a bad carb as it will turn to sugar without giving your pancreas enough time to produce the insilin to convert the sugar to energy. Try to stick with whole grains, nut products (Blue Diamond has a line of crackers made out of almonds and pecans), fruit (a large navel orange as 32 carbs). Let's be realistic: We are going to have a slice of pizza and sometimes some regular pasta. Plan for it. Another good substitue is sweet potatos instead of regular potatos. All of these break down slower thus allowing the insilin to produce and convert the sugar. Also because they have more bulk and nutrients, you are less likely to binge.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sagenettle wrote: »
    Yikes just saw all these replies. Sorry guys, guess I was just channeling my nutrition professor stressing against all the "white" carbs.

So no cauliflower, onions, mushrooms or garlic? Darn, if it were that easy I would've gone for that nutrition minor in college.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Well, yes. If you are concerned about your blood sugar, go for the carbs that also carry lots and lots of fiber. But, otherwise...eat what satisfies your tastes!
  • Sagenettle
    Sagenettle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »

So no cauliflower, onions, mushrooms or garlic? Darn, if it were that easy I would've gone for that nutrition minor in college.

Haha, no. I was oversimplifying it. By "white" she mostly meant refined white flour-type carbs and that brown rice is more nutrient dense than white (I know, the difference is not drastic) and specifically with the sweet potato the high content of vitamin A and C. I can assure you she never told us to avoid any of the things you listed.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    douggyr wrote: »
    As a diabetic, I have to be concerned about 'good' and 'bad' carbs. Here is a rule of thumb: If the carb is highly processed (such as white rice) then that is a bad carb as it will turn to sugar without giving your pancreas enough time to produce the insilin to convert the sugar to energy. Try to stick with whole grains, nut products (Blue Diamond has a line of crackers made out of almonds and pecans), fruit (a large navel orange as 32 carbs). Let's be realistic: We are going to have a slice of pizza and sometimes some regular pasta. Plan for it. Another good substitue is sweet potatos instead of regular potatos. All of these break down slower thus allowing the insilin to produce and convert the sugar. Also because they have more bulk and nutrients, you are less likely to binge.

This deserves a bump, so does Sagenettle.

There's a big misconception on metabolics on this site with some users regarding the difference between a simple carb and a complex carb. Thankfully, we have responses such as the ones I bumped above that satisfy the question being asked.

I never heard of anyone losing fat by eating Twinkies. Ever heard of visceral fat and skinny fat syndrome????

The component of calories DO matter. Not all calories are alike.

Many on this site purport there is no Zero Sum Game when it comes to caloric intake, but that's not even close to being true.

Take regular pasta and it's nutritional content against let's say... almonds - same calorie count. Which one processes faster, which one stores as fat easier, which one is worse for wear over the long run???
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    FIBER.

EAT MOAR FIBER!

Also: If you're undereating, isn't that sort of the POINT of being on a diet?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Probably brown or wild rice is better than couscous I'd think. Otherwise you can have something like sweet potato, or try to incorporate more fruits into the day.

Why?

yes please....why?

And what about Israeli couscous as opposed to Moroccan? Is it better or worse? (I personally prefer that slightly toasted taste).

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    douggyr wrote: »

This deserves a bump, so does Sagenettle.

There's a big misconception on metabolics on this site with some users regarding the difference between a simple carb and a complex carb. Thankfully, we have responses such as the ones I bumped above that satisfy the question being asked.

I never heard of anyone losing fat by eating Twinkies.
    Ever heard of visceral fat and skinny fat syndrome????

The component of calories DO matter. Not all calories are alike.

Many on this site purport there is no Zero Sum Game when it comes to caloric intake, but that's not even close to being true.

Take regular pasta and it's nutritional content against let's say... almonds - same calorie count. Which one processes faster, which one stores as fat easier, which one is worse for wear over the long run???

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/ < now you have

calorie is a calorie is a calorie ...

I don't really get your comparison of pasta to almonds. One is a snack and one is a dinner food...

Fat is stored in a surplus..

fat is burned in a deficit...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I always thought I had way too many carbs in my diet but since logging with my fitness pal I've noticed I'm actually always under on the carbs in the ratio with fat and protein. Obviously I don't just want to eat a huge bowl of pasta to make up for it but could anyone advise as to which carbs are better for you that others, for example I love eating grilled chicken but am I better to have it with Cous Cous or rice?
    Thanks

Sam

What is your percentage of daily calories allotted to carbs? USDA gives a recommended range of 45-60%. I think MFP's default is something like 50%. Many people, myself included, go down to more like 35%. If you have enough energy to do what you want to do and you are eating close to your calorie goal, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, grab some fruit or the occasional cookie or two. If I have extra carbs to play with, I am likely to go for a glass of wine or a beer if I also have the calories left to fit it in.

• JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Haha, no. I was oversimplifying it. By "white" she mostly meant refined white flour-type carbs and that brown rice is more nutrient dense than white (I know, the difference is not drastic) and specifically with the sweet potato the high content of vitamin A and C. I can assure you she never told us to avoid any of the things you listed.

The thing is, a lot of people who follow "eat no white food" are newbies who don't know better. I like wheat and whole grain better, but the difference between those and white bread really is minimal as far as nutrients. The first ingredient of Wonder Bread is, after all, whole wheat flour.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    To build off of what MrM27 posted, I just ordered green tea kit kats from amazon.

That can't be a thing

It can't be. It sounds awful...
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You've got to be really careful on this because if you don't judge precisely which carbs are good and end up eating bad carbs, you'll become a bad person and end up harbouring impure thoughts and become fat and die. I hope you make the right choice.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Your professor is not right. The sweet potato has 4% RDA of Vit C per 100g raw. Hardly a "high" Vit C food. Other than the Vit A, white (or Idaho russet) potatoes are very similar to sweet potatoes nutritionally.

And russets make better fries (totally my opinion, obvs).
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Probably brown or wild rice is better than couscous I'd think. Otherwise you can have something like sweet potato, or try to incorporate more fruits into the day.

Couscous = Bad Carbs