Scales - Keep or Return

Options
On tuesday i purchased these scales. they were not too expensive but on the other hand they were not *cheap* http://www.uk.salterhousewares.com/catalogue/analyser-scales/ust-glass-analyser-scale-3208.html i thought they sounded ok begin digital, can calc body fat and bmi etc etc.

I weighed on tuesday and then on weds i had dropped 1.1kg and today i have dropped 3.2kg.

I am pretty sure i havent lost that much that quickly so am i just being dumb and cant use them properly or are they faulty?

I have tried using them in the bathroom and in the kitchen as i wasnt sure if they were flat leading to a crazy reading (when on the carpet in the lounge i had dropped 30kg! haha)

any tips on making sure theyre flat and accurate or shall i jsut return them?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You should always put the scale on a hard flat surface.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you have something thats a known weight then see how that registers.
    personally I think they sound a bit off so i would send them back and then if you wnat the same ones again buy them from Amazon as they are £9.99 there compared to £25.99 in your link. the body fat stuff with scales tends to be unreliable.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    How about putting something on there that you know the weight of? Like a 5 or 10 pound bag of flour or sugar maybe?
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Maybe you lost some water weight.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Deleted ... the OP is too clueless.
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    But yeah I think there's something wrong with it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Do you still have your other scale that you were using before you got this? I use two scales one that is digital and measures composition and one really old one that is still 100% accurate not matter that it is 25 years old.

One is always one 1 lb off. I place the scale on flat tile floor never carpet. I place the scale(s) in the same spot every time. Weigh at the same time every day or how ever often you weigh.

I like the idea of putting something that weighs exactually 10 - 20 lbs on it and see how it reads.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    To get an accurate reading...1. Weigh yourself in the same circumstances at the same time every day (no clothes, right after you wake up and use the bathroom seems to be a general consensus)
    2. Get something that is a known weight and weigh it.

I thought maybe my scale was broken because of the things it told me, but my 15 pound dumbbell was 15.0 pounds on the dot.

Also, always use a flat, uncarpeted surface. Preferably, use the exact same spot each time (i have my linoleum marked with dry-erase markers where i place my scale.)
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    When I got my digital scales I thought they were off as I was 5lbs heavier on them but it turns out they were accurate and my old ones weren't. I tested them by weighing 4 bottles of water which I knew the weight of.