Crazy/fun place you ever worked. what age and why.

Options
lisalips30
lisalips30 Posts: 1,519 Member
Having a job can suck, but their was always that one job that was so much fun or just plain crazy! Spill it!! what was it.

Replies

• poocon
    poocon Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When i was a teenager I worked at taco bell, we used to sneak vodka in our juice and would be pretty smashed by closing time. Also put jalapeno juice in burritos of nasty customers! ;)
  • lisalips30
    Options
    small burger shop in the community. i was the cook, brother was the cashier, my best friend was the ice cream server.. ahhh fun times!!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    My first job out of college I worked for a luxury real estate magazine, one of two legitimate magazines owned by a publisher of "Gentleman's Sophisticates" (aka hardcore p0rn0graphy). They also operated 900 number phone sex lines. Although our offices were on separate floors, the company Christmas parties were always interesting. Several years after I left, the company was charged by the FTC with over $180 million in credit card fraud, and it's president was indicted, along with several members of the Gambino crime family. (The magazine I'd worked for had been sold to another publisher by this time.)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Worked for a dive hotel that had a club which had male and female strippers, who stripped naked, as well as a tavern that had fights at least four times a week. Once a week we cashed pay cheques and by the end of the night you could barely speak from the counting otherwise the actual job was next to nothing save checking in the bands. But the was rarely a dull moment save Sunday nights.
  • joshua3179
    joshua3179 Posts: 2,882 Member
    Options
    Worked as a bouncer at a bourbon street night club in New Orleans when I was 21.. I was in college.. And it was nuts!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was a supervisor at a huge video store in a very rough part of town so it got extremely colorful at night (and even during the day actually). Huge staff of very diverse people and lots of laughs. Regulars like bar patrons on Cheers. The owner was an eccentric multi-millionaire who had a tiny office in the back where he did day trading and drank strawberry Ensure, in between visits from his ex-stripper girlfriend who was a size 00 with maybe like J-cups, or larger and loads of plastic surgery. It was somethin' else!

edited to add...I was actually older, like 28-29 at the time. I'd had some "serious" office jobs and needed a break from all of that. Most of my teenage jobs were fun too, but not as exciting as the video store.
  • lisalips30
    Options
    when i was 23 i worked in a kitchen, i started dating a guy (obviously we all know, no dating in the work place) but we did anyways, we worked double weekends together and he looked like drago, from rocky.lol,, well lets just say the walk in fridge and walk in freezer were fun. hahaha ahhh memories.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Haunted attraction been doing it for 10yrs now. Been a guest to work or feature at haunts in other states. I love it!!!! Scaring is addicting. I could write a book on all the stories of things ppl did.
  • lisalips30
    Options
    Haunted attraction been doing it for 10yrs now. Been a guest to work or feature at haunts in other states. I love it!!!! Scaring is addicting. I could write a book on all the stories of things ppl did.

i would love that!!
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Showed reel to reel movies at the local asylum Fridays nights, my jon was to keep the file reels ripinning ,splice as needed, yup brought my Friday night dates there to watch movies to!
    ok how many of you have even seen a film reel!
  • lisalips30
    Options
    phyllb wrote: »
    Showed reel to reel movies at the local asylum Fridays nights, my jon was to keep the file reels ripinning ,splice as needed, yup brought my Friday night dates there to watch movies to!
    ok how many of you have even seen a film reel!

nope
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    one of my characters
    wgocri95txjh.jpg
  • lisalips30
    Options
    nice!
  • fenshae
    fenshae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love my job right now (freelance writer) but I still really miss my college job as a master control operator/video technician for the local PBS station.

The job basically consisted of monitoring the feed (aka, watching television) and recording new shows (they'd come through on the satellite feeds and you'd have to record them either digitally or on tape at the right time) and making sure shows went on the air at the right times (queuing them up on tape, hitting buttons at the proper second).

Occasionally something would go horribly wrong and it would get super stressful as you rushed to figure it out and fix it because everyone in the state could see the problem if they tuned to the channel. But most of the time, it was insanely fun. I watched soooo much interesting stuff on PBS, and during the duration of the shows you could surf the internet, read a book or do homework a lot of the time.

I also had the best/craziest boss. He was a little paranoid and was convinced that the station might one day be overtaken by terrorists, V for Vendetta style, so he had built a contingency plan around this possibility. He made a point of teaching me where the bullet-proof sections of the room were (he'd fortified them himself), how to use film reels as weapons, and how to disable the feed permanently by cutting one particular cord in case they succeeded in hijacking the signal. He kept a dummy notebook full of fake passwords out in the open and had the real passwords hidden in the most obscure location imaginable......
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I worked at a movie theater for years. That was fun.
  • lisalips30
    Options
    EAK_09 wrote: »
    I worked at a movie theater for years. That was fun.

free popcorn!!!
  • lisalips30
    Options
    photographer at Walmary, It was actually really neat, i was maybe 23
  • lisalips30
    Options
    lisalips30 wrote: »
    photographer at Walmary, It was actually really neat, i was maybe 23

WALMART
  • lisalips30
    Options
    At a video store when I was 15 and my boyfriend worked there too. There was a lot of sneaking to the back

hot!
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    working at a pizza place delivering pizzas at 18.. man do I have some stories..

also doing plumbing for a company doing new construction for a townhouse community... i was 18-19 doing it over summer break with a bunch of guys my age. we basically just played hackie sack and listened to music and slept all summer long. it was the best job ever.