choosing cooked or packaged.

Options
I have heard about getting rid of all packaged foods. Bit I am curious about the counting of calories. There are prepackaged breakfast sandwich that are under 300 calories and if you cook 2 eggs and 2 toast and half of an avocado it's about 460! So diet thinking I would pick the packaged. But wouldn't it be better to have the added calories and ditch the packaged type stuff?

Replies

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be better because there would be more bang for your buck so to speak. Yes you'd be eating more calories BUT.... for instance a Tbsp of peanut butter has more calories than 1 tbsp of sugar but it's also packed with protein and sugar has really nothing of value to offer except taste.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients of the packaged food... is it really what it’s advertising? Often pre-packaged foods may seem lower-calorie compared to making an identical meal on your own, but it’s important to keep in mind that the serving may be smaller than what you would normally make yourself and that pre-packaged foods often contain fillers to extend the ingredients (fake low-cal egg mix, cellulose in bread products, soy products in meat, etc)...

The highly-processed foods will be broken down faster in your system, leaving you hungrier (fewer calories = hungrier), while eating a meal prepared with unpackaged ingredients will fill you up longer and have more protein vs carbohydrates, fat, & sugar.

In other words - go with making it yourself.