Blood Pressure and Medication...

Options
My physician keeps wanting to put me on BP medication, but I worry about the side effects.

I feel great, all my blood work is always exceptional, which the doctor just seems amazed by, as I am 6' tall and 232lbs. She says that I am considered obese, and always anticipates that my cholesterol or other results will be terrible, but they are always "exceptional" as she puts it, while shaking her head.

The one thing I have had trouble with is my BP. It has always run a little high, and now that it is hanging around 125-140/85-95 she is pushing me hard to go on to BP medication. I am in my late 30s and have been very sedentary lately.

I know they are constantly talking about how bad high BP is, but I worry about side effects, as well as taking a drug for the next 50+ years.

Of my four grandparents, 3 of them had high BP, 160-200 top number when taken, but never treated it. They all lived problem free lives up until their 90s when they declined rather rapidly and passed away from natural causes. So this makes me wonder if the high BP is really so dangerous. No one in my family has ever had any kind of stroke or heart problems before their late 80s, and that was only one grandparent.

We have also been going through a stressful time, taking over the family business, moving to a bigger house, 3rd child on the way, so I haven't been exercising. When I go back to taking my normal 30 minute daily runs on the eliptical, will I have to worry about the BP meds causing me to have too low of BP?

When you feel great, it is hard to start taking meds, that you worry may cause more problems than they help.

Thoughts on this?

Replies

• keithw1975
    keithw1975 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I take Benadryl and Sudafed for allergies, and sinus congestion, though the doctor didn't think that was an issue, but online it mentions that they may increase BP slightly.
  • keithw1975
    Options
    Anyone?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you're on meds, I'd suggest more frequent visits for the doctor to assess that you're on the correct amount of medication. Once you start working out again, it may affect your blood pressure, but maybe not as much as you think. The bigger impact long term will likely be weight, which will be slow to come off.

You can also buy a wrist monitor and test it yourself daily and you can schedule an appointment if you think it's too low. If you don't want to spend the money, use the free machine at the pharmacy at the grocery store.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure that is managed quite well by medication. If I take Sudafed my BP shoots up right away. That is why Sudafed contains a warning on the label about taking it if you have high blood pressure.
  • stiggy64
    stiggy64 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been taking medication for high blood pressure for about 13 years, I'm now 50.
    When I started my BP was c190/110. I've been on various different meds in that time and currently take a daily dose of 50mg of Losartan Potassium. Up until 18 months ago I was on 100mg daily plus 5mg of Doxazosin but weight loss and exercise have allowed me to reduce what I take.
    I measure my BP every week first thing on a Saturday and it's now around c115/65 so when I next have my review I will be asking to drop my dose down to 25mg.

I can honestly say I've never had any adverse side effects from my medication including when training hard.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Of my four grandparents, 3 of them had high BP, 160-200 top number when taken, but never treated it. They all lived problem free lives up until their 90s when they declined rather rapidly and passed away from natural causes. So this makes me wonder if the high BP is really so dangerous. No one in my family has ever had any kind of stroke or heart problems before their late 80s, and that was only one grandparent.

I have hypertension and treat it with meds...I have no side effects. My dad had hypertension and he ended up with stage IV kidney disease as a result of not treating it...he died at 60 with a host of issues on top of his kidney disease...my grandpa had it as well and never treated it...he died at 72 when a blood vessel exploded in his head.

Really...I don't think it's anything to *kitten* around with...and it's just a little pill; not a big deal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    With those readings, you're in the prehypertension to stage 1 hypertension range. While 3 of your grandparents had crazy high BP and did ok, that doesn't mean that's how it's going to happen for you. There are a whole host of other factors. Were they more active than you? Were they really as healthy as you think or have been told?

It sounds like your doc is willing to work with you a bit since she's not forcing you to take meds. Could you stop taking the sudafed and benedryl for a week or two and then retest to see if it makes a difference?

There are plenty of things you can do to change your lifestyle to help improve high BP as well. If you smoke, stop. Start exercising regularly again. Improve your diet.
    BMI isn't always a great tool for men due to muscle mass. You may not technically be obese by most standards but maybe you're at least overweight and losing a little of that would also help. Another way to check is body fat percentage. Here's an article with more info:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

BTW, I totally get your hesitation. In fact, it's one of the biggest reasons I finally stopped the madness and lost (most of) the weight. I also have a family history of heart disease...my paternal grandfather had a major debilitating stroke and died of a heart attack, my maternal grandfather died of heart attack in his 50's and more recently, a first cousin died of a heart attack in his 40's. Scary stuff! However, I still didn't want to take statins to lower my cholesterol because I've read so many bad things about them. My doc was patient with me but she was starting to get more pushy and I respect her so I decided it was time to stop the BS and get healthy. My levels are a tiny bit high still but my ratios are excellent and my overall risk is low so no worries.
  • keithw1975
    Options
    I have have kept log books in the past over several weeks. My BP usually hangs around the mid 120s/low to mid 80s when I am not taking anything for allergies.

I tried BP meds once before, but only for a week because they made me feel like crap. I was light headed and felt like I was going to pass out frequently. Maybe I just didn't give myself enough time to get used to it. It is Lisinopril 10mg that made me feel like I was going to pass out before, and that is what my doctor suggested again.

I guess I will try to give it another shot. When you have an active job though it makes it really hard to be running up and down stairs, and moving things around when you feel like crud from the meds.
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    HBP is a silent killer because it doesn't make you feel bad. But it'll really suck when that blood vessel blows out before you get to see your kids grow up. That's what my doctor told me. She's right, and I hate taking medication but I'd really really hate for my husband to have to remarry or for my sons to not have a mom to call when their child has it's first fever. So I take my one pill a day. Because I'm losing weight I've been told to come in every time I drop 10% to see if my medication need adjusting. I'm 34 and a girl but my father and his mother have had the same issues. Mine without meds is 160s over 130s, nothing to play with. I might with proper diet and exercise get off my medication but if I don't I'll continue to take it so I can make it as long as I can. After all my husband would miss me. ;-)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you get your BP checked by a person not a machine. Those BP machines they have at doctors offices are jacked up and always wrong. :#
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    keithw1975 wrote: »
    I tried BP meds once before, but only for a week because they made me feel like crap. I was light headed and felt like I was going to pass out frequently. Maybe I just didn't give myself enough time to get used to it. It is Lisinopril 10mg that made me feel like I was going to pass out before, and that is what my doctor suggested again.

No, those aren't bad reaction symptoms that you'll get used to. Those are symptoms of too high a dose. If I remember right, lisinopril is available in a 5mg dose, so if you get light headed again, call your doctor. She might suggest the lower dose, or maybe a weaker drug.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    keithw1975 wrote: »

No, those aren't bad reaction symptoms that you'll get used to. Those are symptoms of too high a dose. If I remember right, lisinopril is available in a 5mg dose, so if you get light headed again, call your doctor. She might suggest the lower dose, or maybe a weaker drug.

When I was overweight and had high BP I had to take lisinopril. That stuff gave me the worst dry cough ever. Yuck. Awful. AWFUL.
  • keithw1975
    Options
    My mother-in-law had the cough issue, and couldn't even get a good nights rest. She later changed to another medication, and hasn't had an issue since.

My doctor checked it herself, the only thing they do that seems a little off, is that they were talking to me and had me laughing while they were taking it. They also just had me hold my arm out in mid air rather than properly supported. In reality though I figure that it might be better to take it under more real world circumstances.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Get rechecked off the cold meds & make sure you're relaxed when they check it. Sometimes the blood pressure reads high if the cuff is too small for your arm. If it's borderline, try losing a few pounds and it might take care of itself.
  • keithw1975
    Options
    We had quit going to the gym when my wife got pregnant about six months ago, and I had put on 20 lbs. I finally got a new elliptical set up in our house. As of this morning, I have started my old routine of running 45-60 minutes every day. I also started on the Lisinopril this evening, so hopefully the combination of the two will get my BP down to where my doctor is happy again, as well as getting my weight back down to my 210 target.

I have a follow up with the doctor this Thursday to check the progress of the Lisinopril.
  • keithw1975
    Options
    After two days of taking Lisinopril 10mg once a day, I am certainly seeing the effects in my BP. I my BP this morning was down to 117/75. I am kind of surprised that it is acting so quickly.

My resting pulse has always been pretty slow. Is there any significance in this? My resting pulse is always between 56-64.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My dr put me on BP meds (atenolol) and I was VERY resistant. I was worried about side effects. The first few days that I took it, I felt pretty loopy. By the third or fourth day, I was ready to call my dr and tell her I couldn't stand it, but it was the weekend and by the time the weekend was over, I felt totally normal. I am glad I am on them. I actually *feel* better on them and I did not think I would. Calmer and less anxiety, too.

ETA: Also, I have not noticed the meds affecting my exercise or energy level at all.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Different types of BP meds out there. I was put on an ACE inhibitor (Rampiril) about 12 years ago. BP was 170/110 Started at 10mg daily am now down to 2.5mg/ day through diet, exercise and reduced stress. I too was resistent - but honestly it's no big deal. Ace inhibitors actually help keep the veins supple so there's a side benefit to being on them. I have no side effects.

If you plan on exercising, I would stay away from beta-blockers as a BP medication, as they slow the heart rate.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Every time I have gone on and off medication, I felt a little messed up. It takes a while to get accustom to it. Right now I am not on any. I managed to drop my weight to the point that my BP self managed. With regard to other over the counter medications, avoid anything ending in "phrine". They work by constricting the blood vessels which automatically increases your BP.