Been going for a month and lost no weight

Options
Hi everyone - first time posting here, so hello :)

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of encouragement and maybe some advice. I've been making a massive effort on MFP for a month now, and while I'm seeing a bit of an improvement in the way I look/way my clothes fit, the scales are showing exactly the same weight as when I started.

I'm 5'4'', weighing 166lb (goal weight 140). I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, in addition to at least 2 long, fast walks a week. I'm eating 1200 calories a day and I eat my exercise calories. I haven't cut anything out of my diet, but I have cut down on things like chocolate, alcohol and bread.

I have given myself the day off a couple of times since starting for things like birthday celebrations, but even then I haven't gone crazy and eaten all the pies :)

Is this normal? I've read lots of comments saying the first few weeks should see the easiest and quickest weight loss, so I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong!

Thanks everyone, any help very much appreciated.

Replies

• dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't get discouraged. It sounds like your on the right track, I would try to adjust your eating habits and include more fruits and vegetables and definately cut out the sodas and the processed junk foods and see what happens then. I know I cut out soda and saw weight loss almost immediately. Try to drink water, at least half of your body weight in ounces. So you weigh 166 so try to drink at least 83 ounces of water a day. It helps alot. Good Luck :wink:
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories a little and that might encourage the scales, I have 5 weeks with no weight loss and then shifted to 1500 and it started again :)
  • wiremog
    wiremog Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! The prospect of upping the calories is a bit scary, but I will definitely consider it if this goes on much longer!

Dawn - does that include Diet Coke? That's really the only soda I drink. I also drink water through the day (I don't like tea/coffee etc) but I should probably drink more. I'll focus on that.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes I too think you eat too little.
  • elsh1700
    elsh1700 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am having the same problem. 1 month exactly since joined the gym and got super serious about this. And only a kg lost .... on a good day.
    It is so depressing to not see results. Usually it takes me a while to see results but not this long.

So needless to say I at a whole chocolate bar to night to drown my sorrows. But thats my first real treat in a month so WHATEVER TREVOR!

Might add you since we are in the same boat here.

x
  • rsolomonuk
    rsolomonuk Posts: 21
    Options
    try measuring your waist, arms, legs and I'm sure you will see that those measurements have got smaller. Don't get too discouraged. Its a marathon not a sprint. :)
  • wiremog
    wiremog Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's so good to know someone else is in the same boat! And don't feel bad about the chocolate - we've all done it!

(With me it's usually a massive glass of wine though ;))
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Barring a physical condition, if you fail to lose weight, it's because you're eating too much. Maybe on those days off you're eating more than you think and undermining yourself.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    OK listen up..Diet Coke is totally ****ing you over:) The chemicals in there are totally impeding your fat / water loss! second EAT!!!!!!!!!!! you should be varying your cals from 1600 to 2200 per day!! Your body is a machine and ironically it needs alot of calories and WATER to burn the Flubber it has stored...less calories and water less HEAT...the body needs to run HOT to kill that flab! hope this helps
    Best from NYC
    Kristian Rocco
  • patandsue
    patandsue Posts: 4
    Options
    There is always a chance that you have something off balance regarding blood levels. As a nurse I have learned that it is difficult to lose weight if certain 'blood' levels are off. You may want to ask your doctor to check some basic lab work, especially if you have problems with lower energy. Some of these areas, when brught into balance, may help you be more successful in losing the weight you need to lose.
  • ddhdml
    ddhdml Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back the excercise calories. Just eat the 1200. I lost over 13 lbs in 40 days
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do think you are in need of upping your calories. Try just going up in 100's at a time. But I have a question for you- If you don't lose another pound but you go down a size or two will it really matter what the scale says? I weight 178 lbs and i wear a size 10- clothes matter, how you feel matters, that scale- don't matter. You are doing great! Keep it up and push forward.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your logging is accurate?

It was an eye opener when I started using a digital food scale. A 20g serving of cheese is about the size of a match box.

My second eye opener was when I started using a HRM. My typical workout is 65 minutes on the elliptical trainer. The HRM says I burn 530, the machine itself says around 780, and the MFP database says 926.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Go to an online calculator and make sure you know your TDEE, BMR, & TDEG. Then, make sure that you are measuring and weighing your food correctly. Stop weighing every day. Drink your water. Exercise, but always have one complete rest day a week. Measure monthly & take monthly pictures. The most important thing? Be patient. Good luck!
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back the excercise calories. Just eat the 1200. I lost over 13 lbs in 40 days

PLease ignore this everyone is different and i can guarantee i bet you lost a high amount of lean mass while you ost weight

give this a read itl explain a number of your questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Here we go with the eat more thing again. Eating more is NOT for everyone. You need to fool around with what works for you and your body. I lose on 1200 a day and I do NOT eat my exercise calories. (go ahead, ready to be blasted) But it works for me! And im not tired, weak, lethargic etc etc...things they say will happen if you only eat 1200 a day. Maybe try eating half your exercise calories and see if that helps. When I have tried to eat my exercise cals back (I tried for a month) I gained weight. It wasn't for me. You gotta figure out what works for you.
  • watergirl75
    watergirl75 Posts: 12
    Options
    I do think you are in need of upping your calories. Try just going up in 100's at a time. But I have a question for you- If you don't lose another pound but you go down a size or two will it really matter what the scale says? I weight 178 lbs and i wear a size 10- clothes matter, how you feel matters, that scale- don't matter. You are doing great! Keep it up and push forward.

^^^THIS^^^

Best advice so far!

PLEASE whatever you do....DO NOT EAT 1200 CALORIES AND NOT EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES BACK! That is the worst advice. 1200 calories doesn't even keep my 8yr old full all day.

I think you need to be eating more. Sounds like you really have been trying so I think the only thing missing is a few extra calories in your diet that your body so badly needs. The body is a fighting machine and will hold on to whatever it currently has in fat storage and everything you give it if you don't feed it.....and IF you do lose anything on such low calories....its your muscle and you don't want that!!!!
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree on getting a food scale, best thing ever.

I'm 5'4, eat 1500 calories a day and eat back most of my exercise calories. I'm losing about 5 pounds a month (started at 200 in Jan). I weighed in at 169.6 this am :)

As long as it fits my calories I eat it (sometimes I do go over with a having Chinese food or something). I don't normally drink pop at all anymore..I've lost my need to have it.
  • charmcitygirl69
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks, and now the past three weeks have lost nothing. I eat NO MORE than 1200 calories a day, and often am around 1000. I drink NOTHING but water, and work out at the gym around 6 days a week. I have not broken 1200 calories, not even once, and am limiting my sugars and fat grams like crazy. No sodas, no fast food, and the scale is NOT moving. HELP!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Here we go with the eat more thing again. Eating more is NOT for everyone. You need to fool around with what works for you and your body. I lose on 1200 a day and I do NOT eat my exercise calories. (go ahead, ready to be blasted) But it works for me! And im not tired, weak, lethargic etc etc...things they say will happen if you only eat 1200 a day. Maybe try eating half your exercise calories and see if that helps. When I have tried to eat my exercise cals back (I tried for a month) I gained weight. It wasn't for me. You gotta figure out what works for you.

You have significantly more weight to lose than the OP, and people who have more weight to lose can eat that low safely (for a time). You are right, not everything works for everyone, because you have to look at the specific NUMBERS for that person. Advising that the OP eat just 1200 is potentially unhealthy for her.