Weight Gain

I need to gain 40 pounds by August. My current weight 123. For my height I'm underweight. I'm trying to get out a size 2. Everyone thinks just because your SKINNY you're HEALTHY. What should be my daily calorie intake?

Replies

• shynsneeky
    shynsneeky Posts: 3 Member
    I just started also and when I signed up the initial tutorial helped me establish goals. I put my current weight, and my goal weight. I also stated when I would like to achieve my goal. The application automatically assigned my daily calorie intake, and other dietary goals. I recommend you do the same. My calorie intake is 3500 daily, but I'm sure your goals will be different. Hope this helps.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    First you need to figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and go from there. Here's a link to help you out. Then increase calories above this figure to gain weight. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Why 40 pounds? How tall are you?
  • I'm 5'11 and my current weight is 123. I just figured for my height I should weight in between 135 ~ 180.
  • shynsneeky wrote: »
    I just started also and when I signed up the initial tutorial helped me establish goals. I put my current weight, and my goal weight. I also stated when I would like to achieve my goal. The application automatically assigned my daily calorie intake, and other dietary goals. I recommend you do the same. My calorie intake is 3500 daily, but I'm sure your goals will be different. Hope this helps.
    stephxo1 wrote: »
    First you need to figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and go from there. Here's a link to help you out. Then increase calories above this figure to gain weight. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

• I will go check out the intended link. Thanks for your input. For breakfast I'm eating: 2 slices of Raisin Bread with Peanut Butter, 3 slices of pan fried bacon, SERIOUS Mass 2 scoops with 4 scoops vanilla ice cream and banana.
  • Springfield1970
    Try Scooby's Calculator, it works really well. Don't forget to eat back your exercise calories, if you calculate your exercise separately. If you weight train then you could turn this into a nice bulk. Try and eat 250 calories per day over what you need to keep thing steady. The more heavy lifting you do, the higher percentage of your weight gain will be sexy muscle. Bear in mind woman can only gain a maximum of 1/4 lb of muscle a week, if they're lifting and eating enough protein and the excess calories (to build muscle).

Good luck. Just stop when you feel good! It may be 20,25 who knows? Take pics and measurements so you have a record.

Don't buy any expensive clothing for a while!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    IMO you're going to be gaining a little too fast, putting on 40 lb by August. You'd be lucky if 6/7 lb of that was muscle.

Also, if you're underweight just now, I think, you'd struggle with the amount you'd need to eat to achieve that.

Why not try for a 0.5 or 1 lb a week gain? Slow and steady just like losses?
  • Springfield1970
    3laine75 wrote: »
    IMO you're going to be gaining a little too fast, putting on 40 lb by August. You'd be lucky if 6/7 lb of that was muscle.

Also, if you're underweight just now, I think, you'd struggle with the amount you'd need to eat to achieve that.

Why not try for a 0.5 or 1 lb a week gain? Slow and steady just like losses?

Good advice, bearing in mind that anything you gain over roughly 1/4lb of muscle a week will be fat, unless you're genetically gifted or you are a good gainer which could be the case with you considering your ethnicity.
  • NPB7
    NPB7 Posts: 2
    I'm in the same boat as you. Practically the same height and weight. Tracking my meals is definitely helping. Perhaps, for motivation and sharing tips, you'd be open to us following one another on our journeys. It's rare to find someone who is trying to gain weight.