Problems with scale

Options
Okay, my scale can show completely different numbers depending on where I stand in the room. Meaning that in one side of the room it can show me that I'm 4-5 kgs heavier than on the other side and this is just a bit too big of a difference.

Has anyone else experienced it? Should I believe the smaller or the bigger number?

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Keep the scale in one location. The number is irrelevant as long as you always use the same location, the number that matters is the amount lost or gained.

Also your weight will change through out the day, I always weight 3-4 lbs more at night, some how I sleep and it all goes away. The trend is the only numbers that matter.
  • al142
    al142 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My guess is your floor isn't level. When you move your scale to a place that slants more, or in a different direction, you will get a different number. Your scale will be most accurate on a stable, level surface and then zeroed before use. However, for the purposes of monitoring weight, when you simply need to know if you have gained, lost, or stayed the same, leaving the scale in the same place will do the job as long as long as you keep it zeroed (it may do this automatically, but most mechanical scales need to be zeroed by the user.)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Pick the side of the room that gives you the advantage B)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    flat hard surface
    same place every time, same conditions too eg first thing in morning, after bathroom, before eating or drinking and nekkid
    rebalance it every time you step on it
    watch the progress not the absolute number
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Who moves their scale, right?

Mines been in the same spot for 14 years.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Mine will often give me a weight that is 4.4 lbs too high when it isn't level. The great thing about my scale is that it errors out and when I step on it again, it will give me the correct weight.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that you have to tap with your foot and wait to get on because it calibrates with each use. I still try to keep it in the same spot on a hard floor. My family loves to push it all over the bathroom to move it out of their way so i just made it a habit to give it a nudge back to where it belongs. At least the kids stopped hiding it lol

As it was already said. Consistent weigh ins are what is important. Doesn't matter if the scale matches the number on other scales, the rate of weight loss will still be consistent. My Dr constantly reminds me of this because my scale never matches theirs.