Fat people issues...

Options
An article I read recently had this paragraph: "I don't quite know how to explain this to people who haven't been fat for their whole lives, but there's a very subtle (and very profound) sense of exclusion from "clean eating" lifestyle brands like Gwyneth's. Fat people are not allowed to eat "beautiful" foods that make them feel healthy and strong, because taking joy in meals is for thin people. When fat people do it, it's a vulgarity, an indecent exposure, a slow public suicide."

Have you ever also felt this way? I have.

And another thing that really gets to me: The constant bitchiness and mean people in the gym. Why can't we all just be supportive and kind to one another???

Your thoughts?

Replies

• sarahrouselol
    Options
    I haven't been "fat" my entire life but always generally overweight. Like the oh you would look good if you dropped 15 pounds, but I know that feeling. Like when I would be eating something and then I am still hungry after and people are like "you're still hungry?!" but when a skinny person did that they just got more food. Or even once I went to Starbucks and ordered a venti...the lady looked right at me and said "wow are you sure you need that much?!" The earliest memory of someone calling me fat was in third grade... I was a little kid and not even big and people would make fun of me. Then about the gym...I was with my friend in the gym and this guys, I would say in his 50's, came up to me and gave me an entire lecture on health and working out. I felt so uncomfortable, and it was in front of everyone.... People think that being "fat" is something that people can still be confident about themselves. I try to be...but somethings it is kinda hard with all of the constant reminders. Those are my thoughts on that ....sometimes I wish that we could switch lives with a thin person for a day so they understand how we feel
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think this is more of a fat woman's thing. Before I lost 130 lbs, people would give me that look like "I bet that guy is going to eat that whole pizza". But I dont even know what a "beautiful" food is or why I would want to eat it. Also people at the gym always seem super helpful. Most guys and gals at the gym dont mind working in, or spotting, and want to see other people do well and get to their goals. Maybe you need to spend more time in the weight room and less in the cardio.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The mean people in the gym is generally a load of rubbish. Care to elaborate with some examples. The vast majority of people in the gym are focused on themselves and applaud anyone who is making an effort to get fit.

If the article is bothered about being excluded from brands its because they project the beaytiful life and its just marketing. They take your money just like everyone else becayse they are selling a dream. Part of that is where people are only slightly overweight and attractive because that sells. Being overweight is generally unhealthy.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    An article I read recently had this paragraph: "I don't quite know how to explain this to people who haven't been fat for their whole lives, but there's a very subtle (and very profound) sense of exclusion from "clean eating" lifestyle brands like Gwyneth's. Fat people are not allowed to eat "beautiful" foods that make them feel healthy and strong, because taking joy in meals is for thin people. When fat people do it, it's a vulgarity, an indecent exposure, a slow public suicide."

Have you ever also felt this way? I have.

And another thing that really gets to me: The constant bitchiness and mean people in the gym. Why can't we all just be supportive and kind to one another???

Your thoughts?

Maybe its just your gym? Even when I was 100lbs overweight, I never had issues with mean people. I'm still no beauty, but some of the most gorgeous guys at the gym know me by name.

At my gym (the local Y) you are more likely to have someone approach you and tell you they have noticed you, and that your effort inspires them. Its happened to me, and I overheard it happening to my friend yesterday.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    At my gym (the local Y) you are more likely to have someone approach you and tell you they have noticed you, and that your effort inspires them. Its happened to me, and I overheard it happening to my friend yesterday.

The Y is a great place. I recently made my first ever friend at a gym that translated to outside there.

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Re: food. I worked at a breakfast/lunch cafe for awhile and would always ask customers who ordered "Coke" if they wanted "regular or diet." I had overweight customers thank me for (a) not immediately assuming they wanted the regular like EVERY OTHER CASHIER DID and (b) not immediately assuming they 'needed' the diet like EVERY OTHER CASHIER DID. The occasional jerkbutt exists. The occasional jerkbutt is not everyone. No one can make you feel ashamed but yourself.

Same goes for the gym. The occasional idiot--and they do exist--is not constant bitchiness and meanness. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a superfriendly gym where everyone chats while they warm up and shouts things at the TV talking heads during their workouts and cheers each other on. I think camaraderie is fun. But in 14 years of solid gym attendance across multiple schedules, gyms, and states, I've found that group exactly once (and have never heard of anyone with a similar experience). People are there to get it, get done, get out. That's not bitchiness; that's doing their thing. Again, with the occasional helpful person willing to say, "Do you mind if I offer a suggestion?" and the occasional idiot who kicks you off "their" treadmill even though there are open ones on either side.

If EVERY interaction you have had at EVERY gym you have tried truly has been negative, it's time to look at the common denominator.

Otherwise, like herrspoons said, make the occasional dumbo eat their words with aspartame.