Just got asked by bloke in supermarket when my baby was due. I'm not pregnant.

Options
getinmabelly
getinmabelly Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
Yup, this seriously just happened. And the frustrating thing? I'd just spent an hour working out to my Davina DVD.

To make matters worse, he then tried to justify his comment with 'well maybe you are pregnant and you just don't know it'? Which means that he also thinks I'm stupid enough to have got so far along that I'm 'showing' and not realise that I'm pregnant.

He probably asked in all innocence and with no malice, but ffs!!!!!! I mean, FFS!!!!! I am big, and yes, my tummy is the largest part of me and I really really want to get rid of it. But jesus cripes, how dare he?!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am so sorry. That just stinks. I had that happen at work once and when I said I wasn't pregnant the woman said "Well maybe if you lost weight you could get pregnant." Nice.
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me... from an old college buddy who noticed I didn't have my rock solid abs from when we were in college :/

I don't even look big. Most people think I'm skinny enough. We were both horribly embarrassed.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Not an issue with overweight guys. Everyone knows you just eat too much.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Some people have no tact. Write him off and keep at it.
  • kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    urgh.... maybe you can tape his pic to a heavy bag & take up kickboxing ;)
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    I had that happen with a lady i used to work with. When i said no im not pregnant she then proceeded to tell me "well you sure have gained a lot of weight"...ugh!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Not an issue with overweight guys. Everyone knows you just eat too much.

You poor thing :(

Op, I would have just rolled with it. Built in excuses are the best.
  • LazPagz
    LazPagz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ugh, I am so sorry. That just stinks. I had that happen at work once and when I said I wasn't pregnant the woman said "Well maybe if you lost weight you could get pregnant." Nice.

this is possibly the rudest thing i've ever heard!

try and laugh it off and forget it. i know it's horrible, i've been there too. and well done on doing Davina DVD, she's tough!

• adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If it ever happens again, let your face fall and look really upset. Tell them you just lost the baby. Mean? Probably. But I bet the person will NEVER say anything to another woman again about when their "baby" is due!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

That's awesome.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe you ARE the Dragonborn and you just don't know it yet.

Wait, pregnancy. Uuuuh.

Say you are and do a shot of tequila right in front of them.
  • elocinwright
    elocinwright Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what a jerk
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    firstsip wrote: »
    Well, maybe you ARE the Dragonborn and you just don't know it yet.

Wait, pregnancy. Uuuuh.

Say you are and do a shot of tequila right in front of them.

god I can't help it...

skydb171.jpg

skyrim FTW ... lol
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So rude! I just can't wrap my head around the way total strangers feel it's ok to walk up to someone and comment on a very personal thing, be it pregnancy, weight or anything else. Getting a little dizzy from shaking my head. :confounded:
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    vzck1ucre3sf.jpeg

TRUTH!
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem: I WAS pregnant (4 or 5 months), wearing a figure hugging dress. I had an old man tell me, 'you really shouldn't wear that dress, it makes you look thick waisted'. *Head desk*

A female friend next to me (who I hadn't seen in a while, and I hadn't had a chance to mention to her yet that I was pregnant) told him how rude he was. I said, 'it's ok, I am thick waisted'. Lady friend recoiled, and did the, 'no, you're not!' and I said, I was, but that was because I was pregnant.

But it did annoy me, because who does anyone think they are, telling another person what they should or should not wear? Whether pregnant or not? Or to point out to someone a perceived 'flaw' they observed in their body? If I weren't pregnant and the same thing had happened, I'm sure my response would not have been so calm.
  • Carbsmakefat
    Carbsmakefat Posts: 89 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • drew22308
    drew22308 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wish these posts had a like button! I've been laughing so hard at some of these b/c I've been asked before if I'm prego. I wanted to snack the twit