Substitutes for Pasta

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dtcjem wrote: »
    Being Italian and LOVING pasta I made the switch to Spaghetti Squash or zucchini with qut into Noodles. It fixes my cravings for Pasta and Gravy.

no real italian could ever utter those words….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    111YoYo111 wrote: »
    spagetti squash is FANTASTIC
    shirataki noodles have no calories
    a mandoline can cut any veggie into pasta shapes

zero calories you say??????
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Prelog your day and make room for real pasta.
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love the Barilla Plus Protein pasta it still has the same calories but is very nutritious. I usually eat over 400 calories at dinner so some pasta with sauce & a veggie side fits just fine.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how are you dinner calories only 200????

Did you ask me ndj1979?

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how are you dinner calories only 200????

Did you ask me ndj1979?

no, I am asking OP ….
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    kk :)
  • mkucsera
    mkucsera Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sls2072 wrote: »
    I LoooVe spagetti and since beginning counting calories I have not made spagetti. Last night spagetti was for dinner so imagine my surprise after weighing out my pasta that I could only have 1/2 cup of pasta noodles because one serving was 210 calories and I was not using up all of my evenings calories on pasta. So my question is what do you guys use to substitute?

a half a cup of any pasta is 105. 210 calories is for the whole cup. Google it and you'll see. I had to check this myself recently.

• dawne000
    dawne000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the Vegetti??? It cuts veggies (zucchini, squash, carrots, cucumbers) like linguine. I prepare it the same way I would pasta. Tonight I cooked it up with a little evoo, spinach & garlic. :smile:
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I still have pasta, but I have it with a lot of vegetables and chicken. Because really, the noodles themselves don't have a lot of flavor. They're more a vehicle for getting sauce and cheese in my mouth. Same sauce on veggies tastes just as good.

Totally agree. For me,pasta is a vehicle to enjoy sauce. I put sauce on many other things most of the time though. I actually really like tomato sauce over lightly steamed broccoli.
  • budgirl9
    budgirl9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Fiber Gourmet pasta? It's real pasta, 120 cal (2oz uncooked) 20 gm fiber and 7 gm protein.
  • Wittlewaist
    Options
    I LoooVe spagetti and since beginning counting calories I have not made spagetti. Last night spagetti was for dinner so imagine my surprise after weighing out my pasta that I could only have 1/2 cup of pasta noodles because one serving was 210 calories and I was not using up all of my evenings calories on pasta. So my question is what do you guys use to substitute?

I don't. I like it but I don't eat it often and I don't eliminate foods. I take it fit.

• Wittlewaist
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a great alternative, my husband and I love it.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I make it fit. However, there are pastas that are lower in calories. There is one at my grocery store that is 50 calories per serving (forgot the name). I also use a lot of egg noodles. Like other posters have said, I add a ton a vegetables to it too. That way you get about 2 cups of the pasta dish.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I found this great product called Pasta Zero by Nasoya (there isn't any soy in it, it isn't a tofu product). It's made from chick pea flour. A whole package, which is pretty damn sizable, is only 30 calories. It doesn't really have any taste, it takes on the taste of whatever sauce or cooking method you use. It goes great in italian style dishes, or asian dishes. You can usually find it in the same section as tofu, it comes in a bag with water. Just drain, rinse, and it's ready to go without any cooking. The texture is a bit different from pasta, but it's the best and lowest calorie pasta substitute I've found, and I think it's delicious. Now I only use real pasta for special occasions or company.
  • lexiu
    lexiu Posts: 2
    Options
    Spinach pasta is great and low in cals.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I second the vote for the spiralizer. I love zucchini noodles and sweet potato noodles. You can spiralized just about any veggie!
    I will admit I was never a big pasta fan to begin with, but I love spaghetti sauce, esp home made.
    www.inspiralized.com has good spiralizer recipes
  • whitenurseshoes
    whitenurseshoes Posts: 7 Member
    Options

• whitenurseshoes
    whitenurseshoes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband and I enjoy spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meatballs.Just received a spiral cutter: now we have long pieces of zucchini, summer squash and tomato sauce. REALLY GOOD
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta, portioned correctly.