Any problems with Preworkout Supplementation?

Options
Hi Everyone! I have noticed that the last few times I have taken my preworkout supplement (I use Volt), it seems like I get massive anxiety. Now, I do have generalized anxiety disorder anyway, but normally my episodes of it are few and fairly far apart but lately I have noticed within about 2 hours of taking the Volt, with or without food, I start to get the skin crawling anxiety feeling. Has this ever happened to anyone else??

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It hasn't happened to me but if you already have anxiety problems stimulants can exacerbate them. There are a large amount of stimulants in those things, you may want to avoid them. If you feel a pre-workout is necessary; I believe there is one called "Xpand" and they have a stimulant and stimulant-free version.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I get tingling all over when Noxivol kicks in. It isn't my anxiety kicking in. But I have never tried Volt. You might be having a bad reaction to something in it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    I get tingling all over when Noxivol kicks in. It isn't my anxiety kicking in. But I have never tried Volt. You might be having a bad reaction to something in it.

Yeah for sure. Stimulants can cause somebody with anxiety to have it worse. Also, as you mentioned, the beta-alanine in it can cause you to itch but I think people tend to get over it after taking it for a while. I have to imagine that a major dose of stimulant + beta-alanine is just hell for somebody with anxiety.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid supplements anyway. I prefer to get nutrition though food. I've taken 5 hour energy once before (mostly to stay awake for the midnight showing of the Hobbit)...it worked as far as keeping me awake but I didn't get any of the side effects you're talking about.
    Do you ever try food/beverage instead of a supplement before working out?
    I've found a slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter and some banana slices on top is a great pre run snack.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    amberboen wrote: »
    Hi Everyone! I have noticed that the last few times I have taken my preworkout supplement (I use Volt), it seems like I get massive anxiety. Now, I do have generalized anxiety disorder anyway, but normally my episodes of it are few and fairly far apart but lately I have noticed within about 2 hours of taking the Volt, with or without food, I start to get the skin crawling anxiety feeling. Has this ever happened to anyone else??

Certain preworkouts do this to me. Volt never did, but they effect us all differently. Can you switch to maybe having a cup of coffee before a work out?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    ^^ agree with that. Quite frankly, if its really stimulant that's 'giving you energy' then its probably more accurately classified as a drug then a supplement. And they are really just a mental thing, its not like your body can actually use caffeine or any other stimulant as energy to do work.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have GAD as well. I use VEGA pre workout. Its a pretty smooth and mild boost. I work out at night and it gives me enough to push hard but doesn't keep me up or increase my anxiety
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Directions For Volt: Due to extreme potency, assess tolerance by mixing a single (1) scoop serving with 3-4 oz. of water for the first few days before adding additional scoops, especially if you are sensitive to stimulants. DO NOT EXCEED 3 SCOOPS IN ANY 24-HOUR PERIOD. Some individuals may experience a harmless tingling sensation from Volt's concentrated performance dose of beta alanine.

Holy *kitten*. Why the hell anyone would put anything that requires a warning like that into their body is beyond me.
  • amberboen
    amberboen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have gotten the tingling from the beta alanine with the preworkouts I have tried, but once I start my workout, it seems to go away. I only ever use one scoop and mix it with 8-10 oz. of water. I have used Jack3d before and didn't get the anxiety effect. MSeel1984 I try to do a small meal before a workout and if I workout in the evening that seems to be a good alternative, with my schedule my workouts are predominantly early mornings, 4:30a-5a starting time... the energy and endurance increase for those early mornings is what I am looking for. I'm glad to see I am not the only one that has had this reaction. I was just wondering since this is the first time it has happened with a supplement before.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Directions For Volt: Due to extreme potency, assess tolerance by mixing a single (1) scoop serving with 3-4 oz. of water for the first few days before adding additional scoops, especially if you are sensitive to stimulants. DO NOT EXCEED 3 SCOOPS IN ANY 24-HOUR PERIOD. Some individuals may experience a harmless tingling sensation from Volt's concentrated performance dose of beta alanine.

Holy *kitten*. Why the hell anyone would put anything that requires a warning like that into their body is beyond me.

I agree. I can't imagine how this *kitten* gets managed by body and getting rid of these chemicals. Have some coffee, have some protein, have some creatine, and go hit the gym. All of that is half of what these stupid PWO's cost.
  • calvingray27
    Options
    If I was you I would try black coffee. Or black coffee with coconut oil if training fasted. Those high caffeine pre workouts completely *kitten* your adrenals
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

No *kitten*...

OP...have an apple or a banana pre-workout....
  • jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    It hasn't happened to me but if you already have anxiety problems stimulants can exacerbate them. There are a large amount of stimulants in those things, you may want to avoid them. If you feel a pre-workout is necessary; I believe there is one called "Xpand" and they have a stimulant and stimulant-free version.

I don't have anxiety issues, but I have noticed at times that pre-workout supplements make me feel tense and anxious. So I can definitely see how they would exacerbate those symptoms in a person who already has anxiety issues. You should probably try a different kind or try food as a source of energy instead.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bahaha Go on reddit and you will read PLENTY of stories about pre-workouts. Most of them are hilarious and some are kinda gross. If you have too much of certain brands you will be skipping your workouts and be in the bathroom
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I had to quit my pre-workout drinks due to an inability to sleep the night I drink one.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    amberboen wrote: »

Probably the caffeine in it.

Stay away from pre-workouts you don't need them. Pre workout can be a protein shake or some BCAA's

Also note I've tried allot of pre-workouts ... allot of them don't agree with me, I've gotten sick multiple times... huge crashes on others.... just better off without them!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    jms14letgo wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I don't have anxiety issues, but I have noticed at times that pre-workout supplements make me feel tense and anxious. So I can definitely see how they would exacerbate those symptoms in a person who already has anxiety issues. You should probably try a different kind or try food as a source of energy instead.

It could be the high level of caffeine in the preworkout. I found out for myself that caffeine in high doses make me feel like there is impending doom. Idk how to describe it. I only take a preworkout because my stomach can't handle coffee that early in the morning when I work out.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    To each his own. They work for me great. I like them but I can see if you have anxiety how they would exacerbate the symptoms.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    The real question is why do you need a preworkout? A lot of advertising and broscience has convinced many they NEED it. We didn't use them in the 80's or early 90's and did just fine. Don't always believe the hype. Good advertising will create more income for sellers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    its expensive and the packaging is brightly colored... obviously you need it lol