Proper ice cream in the UK (low carb)

Options
2»

Replies

• Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    You claim to have made your own ice cream, what did you use to sweeten it?

A) Ice cream is meant to taste sweet and some flavours just do not work without the sweetness.
    B) Freezing dulls the sweetness sensation (eat some melted ice cream and eat some of the same ice cream in its frozen form, same ingredients but one "tastes" significantly sweeter than the other)
    C) To counteract the dulling effect you need to have high quantity of sweetening agent.
    D) That agent can either be a traditional sugar ie the carbs you are trying to avoid or an artificial sweetener
    E) The people wanting nice dairy ice cream are unlikely to want artificial sweeteners in their product.
    F) The market for the product you seek would then be minuscule so it's unlikely it would be profitable so the product you seek is unlikely to be on the market.
  • girrafe12345
    Options
    Walls 33% less fat- 2 scoops 60 cals. :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Honestly with the 'pickiness' of what you want in it and the flavor you want to keep it seems like you may not find what you want.

If you are already making it at home (which is what I got from your original post) then keep doing it that way, you will always be getting exactly what you want otherwise you will need to find some form of compromise when buying ready made.

I'd rather eat the real stuff, there are frozen water ice from chapmans that are decently low carb (including sugar), calorie (20 cals usually) and are treat sized and delicious. Not milk ice cream but in my opinion was a nice flavorful trade off where I didn't have to give up a frozen treat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You claim to have made your own ice cream, what did you use to sweeten it?
    So you doubt my word ?

I did not sweeten most of the batches I have made. The raspberry one was quite tart and tasted like (shock horror) raspberries. Everyone enjoyed it.

The one made with a bottle of Bailey's (actually the Aldi cheap version) had the sweetness of the Bailey's but nothing added. Etc.

Yes I can see that people hooked on sickly sweet things would fall into your E & F, but there is a market for 85% cocoa chocolate and the like so I'm open minded about what might be out there. I don't really want my diabetic relative eating something that nudges them towards losing a foot, vision or whatever if there's an alternative.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

and 7 grams of sugar. Didn't read the question :-(
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

and 7 grams of sugar. Didn't read the question :-(

It's pretty good though. You won't get any with no sugar in.

You just admitted to putting sugar in the one you made yourself.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Someone recommended this to me http://www.wheyhey.co.uk/index.php?lang=en

Seems to have 5g carbs per 100 g.

Apparently tastes quite nice.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    contact these people...

http://www.rr-icecream.co.uk/getintouch/get-in-touch.aspx

they make pretty much all the supermarket own brand icecream in the uk (and quite a bit of the branded stuff as well iirc)
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Breyer's ( I don't know if this brand is available in the UK :( ) has a "Carb Smart" Line which is sweetened with Splenda/ sugar alcohols and has 8g total carbs. I really enjoy it and it's only 90 cals per serving as well!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Cleanest ice cream i've found is hagen daz vanilla - made with cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract
    I try to eat clean and I'm lowish carb (100gms below) this is by default as I am gluten intolerant , but when I'm after a treat - this is the one I go to because it isn't full of rubbish.

20gms of carbs in a serving

Always amazed at whats in "organic" ice cream...

But have never found anything in the UK which is low carb & clean (no sugar and rubbish added) so I think the sugar part is the compromise.

I have a thought a few times about an ice cream maker as well - and sounds like your doing a great job making your own at at home.

Other place that may be worth a try is wholefoods - I think they do one made from almonds/cashews - but sorry, no info on their site for me to pass on.