Deadlifts...bent knees or straight knees and why?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I want to firm my butt but don't know if I should do my deadlifts with bent or straight knees. Which one is better for targeting the butt? I've tried both but don't know which one is more effective. Thanks!

Lisa

Replies

• PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi

I tend to feel tightness in my butt and hamstrings more if I do straight leg deadlifts, but maybe that's just me. Of course, squats - on their own or with a barbell - are also really effective for toning the butt and thighs, so perhaps a combination of straight leg deadlifts and barbell squats would be most effective - and more varied.

PrimalGirl
  • GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always bend my knees, straight leg Deadlifts are ok under strict control but highly likely to cause injury with just a minor error. Go Bent Knee Deadlift as it works deep into your glutes for a better workout.
    Stack it with a deep Leg Press on a machine and if you can handle it, add in Squats for the ultimate butt workout. In fact these will work most of your body. They're not for the faint hearted but as you're Deadlifting anyway I say go for it!

You don't need to be piling on the plates for a good workout either, just slow forced reps with strict control over your movement. Above all, if you can get one - a spotter. Just ask someone in the gym if they'll spot for you, most decent gym rats will be happy to help, especially if they see you're up for a serious workout.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much! I did pull a back muscle about a month ago from doing straight leg dead lifts and too heavy of a weight. OUCH! Now I'm much more aware of my form and increasing the weights slowly. Thanks so much for your input.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Soft knees. Just slightly bent.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A deadlift should be performed with bent knees, straight back, almost a squat.

A stiff legged, soft legged, romain, sumo or any other DL is just accessory work.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I feel it more in the glutes when my knees are slightly bent.
  • MOJOtheDUCK
    MOJOtheDUCK Posts: 26
    Options
    I concur with GJRicketts. I have been powerlifting on and off for about 3 years now and deadlift is actually my strongest. I do them sumo style but always always always ALWAYS with bent knees unless it's extremely light and there is a trainer present. Your butt will thank you for it because to bend your knees you engage your hips and butt by squeezing until they're straight. If you do heavy straight leg deadlifts you're very likely to injure your back
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    A deadlift should be performed with bent knees, straight back, almost a squat.

A stiff legged, soft legged, romain, sumo or any other DL is just accessory work.

Yup. Other accessory work can include lunges - regular and reverse, glute bridges, step ups, and never forget to squat.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I want to firm my butt but don't know if I should do my deadlifts with bent or straight knees. Which one is better for targeting the butt? I've tried both but don't know which one is more effective. Thanks!

Lisa

Try a front squat!!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    slightly bent/soft knee
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    stiff legged hits hamstrings a little more. a few more you could do with a barbell that will hit glutes and hammies would be: good mornings and hip thrusts(may need some padding for this one)
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Soft knees. Just slightly bent.

^this. Just keep your knees from locking out and go slow
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I do believe a soft knee is best..but that is just my opinion.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    A deadlift starts as a semi-squat, so knees have to be bent, then as you straighten up, you keep your knees slightly bent, a natural arch in the lower back and look straight ahead. If you are referring to a Romanian deadlift (hinging over and straightening back up without putting barbell on the ground), you will still keep your knees slightly bent, a natural arch in the back and looking straight ahead keeping the head neutral and inline with the torso. There is something called a stiff-legged deadlift, however there is a great deal more stress on the low back and spine (including the spinal ligaments and disks) and would only try it for the advanced weightlifters
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    Simple article about bent or straight legged lifts: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html Basically comes down to protecting your spine.
  • Ducey99
    Ducey99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try a front squat!!

This works the quads.
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    Try a front squat!!

This works the quads.

and the hamstrings and glutes when you straighten your hips as you rise from the bottom of the squat and while at a lesser degree it works the calves, inner and outer thighs to keep your knees from moving in or out. Squats, deadlifts, and lunges are all good :)
  • Ducey99
    Ducey99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The extent to which the posterior chain is worked during a front squat is minimal. If you want hamstring and glute activation your best bet with regards to squating is the back squat; more specifically, a low-bar squat. With that said, variations of the deadlift will stimulate the hamstrings and the glutes better than any type of squat.
  • Ahmadzs6
    Ahmadzs6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do straight legs deadlifts. But safety is must, i started with 10KG bar then kept increasing weight. its very effective.