Krav Maga and other martial arts

Options
2»

Replies

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I was doing krav Mega for few months, need to get back into it.
  • kikchic
    kikchic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do Krav 3-4 times a week, training for a half marathon so I run 3x a week, weight train, cycle, crossfit couple times a week all to build endurance for Krav. I am working on my level 2.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Kickboxing (mix of Muay Thai, Olympic Boxing and a bit of Jeet Kun Do) for 4 years now. I was going through different fitness classes at University trying to find something that kept me motivated. That did the trick! I stuck to only kickboxing and badminton for 3 years. I got fitter, but didn't lose weight (wasn't checking nutrition). Finally I sort of plateaued with my kickboxing. Didn't feel like I was making progress at all. Figured losing weight would help with conditioning.

Got an online coach, and did 4 months of BW training, and now I'm on my 3rd month of lifting weights. I kept up with kickboxing classes 2 days a week (3 hours), and trained 3-4 days a week on non class days, and still went to badminton more often than not.

The improvement in my kickboxing skills is unreal. Better conditioning, better technique, stronger hits, so much quicker on my feet! Sparring is a lot more fun now!

This fall I'll be out of country, so I'll focus on lifting with a smattering of cardio. Back to kickboxing next January!
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've been doing goju ryu karate for about 6 years (honestly, I've lost count) and lifting actively for around 2 years. I used to just do karate as my physical activity, but after adding in lifting and running I find my endurance and speed in the ring is much better - not to mention losing weight quicker (and the positive benefits of that in the ring).

As a small female, I really love what lifting's done for my martial arts. I'm stronger physically, so I can hit harder and I can take harder hits without worrying about pain; I'm faster on my feet with more power to make quick moves and get inside defense more effectively; increased endurance means I can fight longer and harder.

I remember taking a few weeks off karate just due to conflicting timelines with work, but continuing my lifting during that time, and when I returned to the dojo it felt like my punches were blazingly faster than before. It was magical, ha ha!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Roza42 wrote: »
    I started Krav maybe two months ago. Since I bike to work and lift 3x per week, I am only taking Krav once a week and Escrima once a week. At this time I am in a deficit, so my lifting program isn't strength.

Did you notice a difference adding in Krav? Sounds like you were already very active.

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    I've been doing Kickboxing (mix of Muay Thai, Olympic Boxing and a bit of Jeet Kun Do) for 4 years now. I was going through different fitness classes at University trying to find something that kept me motivated. That did the trick! I stuck to only kickboxing and badminton for 3 years. I got fitter, but didn't lose weight (wasn't checking nutrition). Finally I sort of plateaued with my kickboxing. Didn't feel like I was making progress at all. Figured losing weight would help with conditioning.

Got an online coach, and did 4 months of BW training, and now I'm on my 3rd month of lifting weights. I kept up with kickboxing classes 2 days a week (3 hours), and trained 3-4 days a week on non class days, and still went to badminton more often than not.

The improvement in my kickboxing skills is unreal. Better conditioning, better technique, stronger hits, so much quicker on my feet! Sparring is a lot more fun now!

This fall I'll be out of country, so I'll focus on lifting with a smattering of cardio. Back to kickboxing next January!

In your kickboxing class, do/did they do a warmup with a bunch of BW stuff already? Or did they go right into class? There are a few things that I wonder if I should augment more like the stretching that we do in class.

You definitely can't out exercise a bad diet, so I can definitely see how you could maintain or gain even when working hard.

Lifting, and being generally strong has definitely helped my hits :) I almost always train with the guys so that I don't have to pull my punches and kicks so much.

Where are you going out of the country? I travel to Asia often and it KILLS my routine. 70 hour work weeks mean I don't work out hardly at all, plus the pollution (especially in China), plus jet lag, plus questionable nutrition...eek!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »

In your kickboxing class, do/did they do a warmup with a bunch of BW stuff already? Or did they go right into class? There are a few things that I wonder if I should augment more like the stretching that we do in class.

You definitely can't out exercise a bad diet, so I can definitely see how you could maintain or gain even when working hard.

Lifting, and being generally strong has definitely helped my hits :) I almost always train with the guys so that I don't have to pull my punches and kicks so much.

Where are you going out of the country? I travel to Asia often and it KILLS my routine. 70 hour work weeks mean I don't work out hardly at all, plus the pollution (especially in China), plus jet lag, plus questionable nutrition...eek!

No BW, the warmup was skip rope/ shadowboxing, then stretches. We occasionnaly had push ups to do but mostly focused on technique.

Yup, learned the hard way! Now my nutrition is tracked and under control :)

I train with a very mixed bag, so I have to adapt with sparring. It's a University class so not everyone has the same goals. We keep sparring to an intense pillow fight, so worse we ever had was a nosebleed :wink: But working with the pads, I always try to pair up with a guy. Right now I'm the only girl in the group that can consistently absorb hard hits (though one has potential once she gets the hang of it!) so when I end up with a girl I have to pull my hits :disappointed:

Heading out for an internship so I'll have my apartment, and already found a powerlifting group. So this time won't be bad for training. Conferences though, are terrible. Last one I focused on eating a nutritious breakfast, and keeping portions small in restaurants. Picked one evening to splurge and kept everything in check for the rest of the week. Ended up not losing nor gaining anything that week, which, considering the no training at all, is a win!

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for Krav. Have never done a martial art before. Prior to this only CQC training in the Army and that was so long ago I don't even remember any of it. My first Krav lesson is next Thursday. Kinda nervous but it's a private lesson to start so that should make it easier. I plan on using Krav as my primary cardio going forward and doing weight and resistance training the other days.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Roza42 wrote: »
    I started Krav maybe two months ago. Since I bike to work and lift 3x per week, I am only taking Krav once a week and Escrima once a week. At this time I am in a deficit, so my lifting program isn't strength.

Did you notice a difference adding in Krav? Sounds like you were already very active.

Sorry, I didn't see this before. I had noticed that Krav really kicks my butt. Especially since I am careful when lifting to stay in neutral positions.

Then about a month ago I took a fall while riding, so I haven't been to Krav since. Though I have been going to Escrima since it is much less physical. Hopefully, I will start back at Krav next week.
  • psalms1441
    psalms1441 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Again, is martial arts a portion or all of your exercise routine? What else do you do? What changes have you seen in your body?

I train a variety of the Arts. GJJ, muay thai, boxing and judo. I include a periodized weight training routine based on the intensity of my Arts training. In the "off season" my movements are mostly exercises that work multiple body parts
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga is the best for self-defence, but as for fitness, it all depends on the instructor and how much warm up, bag work, and sparring you do. If it's just practicing the KM techniques then it's not that intense.

I tried kickboxing once, but found the 1 hour class consisted of 45 minutes of 'warmup' - doing push ups, star jumps, sit ups etc, followed by on 15 minutes actual kickboxing. It was exhausting.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    HIIT will provide wind for short burst sparring intensity

A fight is an adrenaline dump intense two minutes maybe.

Sparring is still 3 or so 3 minute rounds normally

I never got a workout for cardio value sparring.

Not like a fast 5K or fast 20 mile bike ride.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Krav Maga is the best for self-defence, but as for fitness, it all depends on the instructor and how much warm up, bag work, and sparring you do. If it's just practicing the KM techniques then it's not that intense.

I must have one of the good instructors then because by the end of class I am spent. I've done Insanity and Krav pushes my limits to the edge way further then Insanity did. The resistance of the bag work for those 2 minute intervals is intense. Like anything else you get what you put in, if you're dogging it you just hurting yourself. I give 100% effort all the time and Krav absolute kicks my butt. I love it.

• jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do Krav, Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai..all the extreme fitness' that I can. Have been since the beginning of the year.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I finally started back to Krav last week. I am going to try to go to Krav 2-3x a week now. I had surgery on my knee almost 2 years ago, and it just never healed well. After the fall I did PT for my hip, and it has really helped my movement. I am know throwing kicks with my bad leg and it doesn't hurt. I don't kick full strength. I have added a lot of hip/glute and bodyweight exercises to my routine as well which has helped a lot.

I was reading one of your questions above about training, and the classes at my gym run about an hour and 15 minutes. There is about 30 minutes of warm up prior to learning forms. Sometimes sprinting and "drop and give me" exercises or tag to rounds of hitting shields to being surrounded and hit with shields. I really enjoy the hitting/kicking part of the warm up.

What I have noticed is now I have goals based on body movement, rather than heavy lifting.