Input on reducing sugar?

Options

Replies

• iridescentblue
    iridescentblue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you were asked because you chimed in and tried to answer for the other poster...

I wasn't trying to answer for their eating habits, just pointing out that the other person had actually listed vegetables right in their post. That somehow turned into a debate that I wasn't really trying to get into at all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    H_Factor wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean processed foods and sugars (because there's nothing wrong with eating the natural sugar in fruit). The reason processed foods and sugars create a yearning for more of the crap is because of the chemicals that manufacturers put into these science experiments. They are created so that your body will react and want more (plus cause an insulin spike so the crap is stored as body fat). The good news is that this "dependency" goes away in only a few days if you largely eliminate science experiments from what you eat. From personal experience, my cravings for the junk have largely left me after 3-7 days of eating mostly real food.

Bottom line.....all that crap in science experiments that you either can't pronounce or don't know what it is when you read it in the label of ingredients (if you bother reading the label)....well, that crap is in there for a reason. One reason is to get you addicted to the crap.

LOLwut? :huh:

I just...

I can't...

I...

Even: something I can't.

Natural sugar = always good. Processed sugar = always bad. Right?

Insulin spike = always stored as body fat?

Is there a word for chemical-phobia? (And if there is, do you think you could pronounce it?)

What if food manufacturers are simply trying to make food that tastes good so you're more likely to want to buy it in the future?

natural sugar = heaven
    added sugar = hell
    insulin spike = satan ..

got it, get it, good...

You forgot "fake sugar" = armageddon!

damn it I always leave something out..

there are too many boogeymen out there...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    my input...cutting sugar is totally unnecessary, unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar.

she is talking about cutting back from what I read. If the pic is what she eats in a day that is probably in the 2-3000 cal range, maybe more, most of it sugar. i would think that is a problem

well if she just eliminated the breakfast they would probably cut her sugar consumption in half...
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    aeb09 wrote: »
    I eat about 5g of sugar a day roughly. I live a ketogenic lifestyle (low carb, high fat, moderate protein) and the majority of my carbs/sugar come from vegetables. I eat mostly whole, unprocessed foods aside from ranch dressing, sugar free bbq sauce and sriracha. I stopped eating carbs cold turkey March 2014, although my issue was always savory carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes) and not sweets.

I don't miss sugar and I don't miss the carbs. I feel so much better when I eat this way. I went off keto for two weeks at Christmas as a kind of science experiment (also because I hadn't been home in a year and wanted Chicago pizza....sue me). I felt absolutely awful. I had headaches every day, I was lethargic, my stomach hated me and I had trouble sleeping.

Keto makes all of that better, for me and for many others, but you don't have to be as strict with it as I am. I'd recommend cutting back - maybe 25g every 1-2 weeks until you are at a point where you feel comfortable. Don't look for "low fat" options at the store - they are bulked with sugar/carbs to enhance the flavor the fat would have added. Replace the sugar with fat and proteins plus veggies - butter, oils, chicken thighs w/ skin, a salad with ranch (check the carb count), cucumbers, bell peppers, maybe some cheese or eggs or chicken, tuna salad with full fat mayo, meatballs/meatloaf with 85/15 ground beef, eggs, "zoodles" in place of pasta, roasted broccoli/cauliflower/brussels sprouts, etc.

Hope that kind of helps a bit.

So you don't eat fruits or vegetables?

I'm pretty sure I said "most of my carbs come from vegetables." No I don't eat fruits - any nutrients in fruit can be found in vegetables. You can sometimes get away with a small amount of berries, but I don't need them. I regularly eat spinach, mushrooms, cucumbers, bell peppers, celery, onions, brussels sprouts, zucchini, spaghetti squash, broccoli, etc., just watch my intake of the sweeter ones (cucumbers, peppers, onions) and I'm good to go.
  • aeb09
    edited January 2015
    Options

So you don't eat fruits or vegetables?

They said right in their comment that they eat vegetables, and even listed some.

For me, I found gradually reducing carb-laden things and inputting more protein and healthy fats was helpful, and now I am on a low-carb regime. I get lots of veggies - spinach, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, asparagus, etc - small amounts of fruit, and protein and healthy fats. The carb cravings are gone and I'm working on being less reliant on sweeteners, too :smile:
    So then how exactly would someone go about only eating 5g of sugar while eating a decent amount of fruits and vegetables?

The other person is probably focusing more on vegetables and protein and avoiding fruit, which many people do - I aim for 25g 'net' carbs so I have fruit more often. It depends on the person. Net carbs is the carbs in a serving minus the fibre.

For example, 1/2 cup of raspberries would have 12 g of carbs and 6 g of fibre so '6 net carbs'. How well the fruit is going to fit in will depend on how much sugar and fibre it has. The only vegetables that need to be avoided are the starchy ones like potatoes, etc.

There is no need to assume I don't understand net carbs. She said she eats 5g net carbs. Now you answer this question directly please, how does someone eat a well balanced diet with 5g of net carbs. Think about it please because if you look at your own raspberries, they have 6g net carbs. So you personally would be limited to just under 1/2 of raspberries a day. No other fruits or vegetables. So, how? Please explain it.

And no, potatoes don't need to be avoided.

Actually no, I said I eat 5g of sugar. I eat about 18g of carbs a day give or take a few grams. Feel free to check out my instagram butterisnotacarb, I post what I eat.

Sorry to iridescentblue who was just helping and ended up getting into an unnecessary debate.
  • iridescentblue
    iridescentblue Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Actually no, I said I eat 5g of sugar. I eat about 18g of carbs a day give or take a few grams. Feel free to check out my instagram butterisnotacarb, I post what I eat.

Sorry to iridescentblue who was just helping and ended up getting into an unnecessary debate.

No worries, if people want to think low carb means no veggies then there's nothing we can do to stop them, haha. Some things and people are not worth my time!
  • aeb09
    Options

No worries, if people want to think low carb means no veggies then there's nothing we can do to stop them, haha. Some things and people are not worth my time!

You're right! I won't even play into it anymore. Thanks and hope you have a good one!
  • shejuicy
    Options
    The syrup in that picture is actually caramel. Banana fosters french toast drowned in caramel.. Sigh. I frickin love sugar. Lol.

Just bought some high protein/ low sugar shakes; veggies; whole grain cereal and some good meal bars.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you only have 8 lbs. to lose, you could just try cutting out desserts on weeknights (Mon.-Thurs.). That should help! Good luck!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    If you only have 8 lbs. to lose, you could just try cutting out desserts on weeknights (Mon.-Thurs.). That should help! Good luck!

Why? That isn't necessary.

If dessert is what's pushing her over her calorie limit, then reducing desserts will reduce calories. It's easy. That's why.
  • eemmerson929
    eemmerson929 Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    shejuicy wrote: »
    I would say I consume anywhere from 80-150 grams of sugar per day, and sugary foods make up about 60% of my diet. Because of this, I have sugar rushes, crashes, headaches, etc.

Do you check your blood sugar levels? Even if it is an A1C test in a checkup lab. I started my fitness and weight loss from being diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I just cut out breads and pasta along with the calorie counting/exercise for a 500/day surplus. My sugar went back to normal. I haven't really done much more than that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    shejuicy wrote: »
    The syrup in that picture is actually caramel. Banana fosters french toast drowned in caramel.. Sigh. I frickin love sugar. Lol.

Not helping with my 'issue'.. ;)