Critique my food diary?...And. Book recommendations?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kim_m_kk wrote: »
    clean eating might not be necessary but it is better for you. I can lose weight eating junk but I won't get healthy.

There's no such thing as clean eating.

But I gotta love those comments from people eating tortilla chips, hot dogs, lemonade drink mix and ranch dressing (not that I personally find anything wrong with those things, but just saying).
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    leahszrk wrote: »
    I understand everyone has different opinions about eating techniques, but if you were to critique my eating habits so far this week, what would you suggest.
    Anything to add?
    Subtract?

***Also:
    Some newbie nutrition 101 books you would suggest? I love learning everything/multiple techniques and "plans".

Things about me to consider:
    *I am starting a daily 30 minute treadmill routine today.
    *My ideal weight is 160ish...I am now 216 (lost almost 8 pounds this week!)
    *I want some long-termed, keep-it-off food advice.
    *My future self would be squatting allllldaylong! (It's about time hips and booties get love!) but first I have to heal my core from back-to-back babies!
    *I like to make my own food and won't do premade drinks/meals, etc with the exception of protein powders

Thank you in advance! I don't have a mentor around here yet! :p

I think myplate.gov is a good place to start, and the readers digest food and nutrition book is a good read (i got mine from the thrift store)

I personally eat a variety of foods that fit my calorie goals, and sometimes I eat food that doesnt fit my goals and I eat it anyway (not that often, mind you)

maintaining a 60lb weight loss here. :)

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Added- Your food is quite fancy sounding. Jealous over here.
  • leahszrk
    Options
    Thanks again for the additional input!!!
    RodaRose wrote: »
    This book is helpful: Nutrition For Dummies

This made me laugh. After a second of "Hey wait a minute!". Ha! :p It is sadly true however... I eat a lot of healthy foods but I'm still fat from babies and a dummy about nutrition. :smiley:
    paj315 wrote: »
    I would echo a lot of the other that said use a food scale and weigh everything in grams even stuff such as ceral (there's always a weight in grams along with the serving size on all packaged foods).

Also don't wait until you lose weigh to start squatting (or any weight lifting) do it now. It will help to preserve your lean body mass as you lose.

Don't undereat. Eat at MINIMUM your BMR.

Eat now in a way that you can maintain for the erst of your life. If you do some crazy low calorie goal and/or exercise and insane amount, chances are you won't stick to it over the long run.

I love all of this! All of it! Especially the squatting/lifting!!!
    kim_m_kk wrote: »
    clean eating might not be necessary but it is better for you. I can lose weight eating junk but I won't get healthy.

I agree that eating 'healthily' is best, but there is a lot of disagreement over what that means, even in the scientific community. Consensus is plenty of veg, plenty of protein, limit your added sugar (and some say limit total sugar including natural sugar), limit your salt, and finally have a little treat every day to keep you motivated. Many sources say you need a minimum amount of fat as well although the good fat / bad fat / ugly fat thing is up for debate. Cutting out a whole food group is generally frowned upon unless you have a specific medical condition. Be careful of food additives as some are not very good for you

To keep it simple: make sure you hit your macro and micronutrient goals each day, don't cut out everything you love, eat food you like.

As soon as I drop some of this....flab...I will allow an indulgence here and there, especially if I'm weight training when I maintain.
    I'm just crack in' the whip to get all of this off of me! I've been complaining about it forever and I just kind of snapped this week and am all in it!

And.
    These diet/food labels make my head hurt. No offense to anyone!

Thanks again everyone!

• samsar2014
    samsar2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI this was help full for me as well, ie weigh in everything. So thanks you. Question though using the apple as an example how do you know how much 1g of apple is worth in calories
  • dogetta
    dogetta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    samsar2014 wrote: »
    HI this was help full for me as well, ie weigh in everything. So thanks you. Question though using the apple as an example how do you know how much 1g of apple is worth in calories
    carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram. so if the wt is 5gm it would be 20 calories. fat is 9 cals a gram so 5gm would be 45 calories.