Anyone that started in the "obese" range would like to share some of their favorite meals?

Options
Hi, I'm new! I'm 8 days into eating clean, whole foods. I'm down 7 pounds and am LOVING the gym. I don't want to get bored with food and was hoping you guys have some "must try" recipes/snacks ideas. I have around 100 pounds to lose and I have promised myself this lifestyle change, so would love tips and support. Thank you so much!

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The key to not getting bored is to cook your own food. Search for new recipes. Get a pinterest board and pin things you'd like to try. Find ways to make things you like healthier.
  • fitchlets
    fitchlets Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ahhhh, didn't even think of pinterest. Thanks :) And yes, we cook all of our meals at home.
  • OneOddOne
    Options
    Fitch, what do you mean by clean whole foods? I have a ton of cool easy recipes that I love, but if they don't match your eating habits they won't do you much good lol

I eat a lot of higher fats, proteins and low carb. I love bacon, everything is better with bacon =)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I started with Class III obesity, at 5'9" and 375.3lbs, with a BMI of 55.4. I am currently down into Class II obesity, at 255lbs, with a BMI of 37.7. I am very much looking forward to 236lbs because that marks the line at which I become simple "obese" with no qualifiers.

I cook/eat at home alot, but do still eat out, and I don't eat "clean", and I eat alot of the same things quite repetitively.

The key to weight loss is simple: intake fewer calories than your body can burn off. You can create the deficit solely through diet or through a combination of diet and exercise, but anyway you slice it, it all comes down to the almighty deficit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started in the morbidly obese range. Does that count? My favourite recipe is pinterest. My tastes and interests are always changing. Right now I am loving refrigerator oatmeal. Here are the family tested favourites:
  • fitchlets
    Options
    Thank you all. Loving all of the input.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I enjoy making homemade marinara sauce with garlic, onion, carrot then add tomatoes and spices like crushed red pepper, dried italian seasoning. I used this for eggplant parm (roasted eggplant slices topped with marinara and cheese). I also enjoy it with zucchini noodles. You can make these simply by making thin noodles using a cheese slicer.

Also, salsa. Diced tomatoes, garlic, cumin, jalapeno and lime juice. This is great with grilled chicken, fish, etc. I don't know how clean you're eating but baked corn tortillas. I make egg white omelets with peppers, onion, tomatoes and mushrooms then top with the salsa for a low calories filling breakfast.

Favorite way to cook veggies are cut up, tossed with olive oil and seasoning then roasted in oven around 400 degrees until tender and slightly browned.

One of my best investments was a cast iron grill pan. I bought one from dollar store and one from Amazon. You can grill veggies and meat. Awesome!

Frozen tilapia is a favorite. I can bake in oven on cookie sheet or add lemon with seasoning then wrap in foil to produce a tender foil pack fish. The juice that cooks from it can be used as a sauce over brown rice.

Another is to season chicken breast with whatever seasoning you like such as Mrs Dash, seasoned salt, etc then I brown in skillet sprayed with nonstick spray. Remove and add favorite veggies (mine are pepper and onions). Lightly brown the veggies. Place chicken back on top then place in oven to finish cooking. The veggies keeps the chicken tender.

My family is a huge fan of tenderloin. It's lean and a blank pallet for any type of seasoning. It's great with steamed cabbage or some type of apple.

I found trick is to experiment and have fun.

Good luck!

• fitchlets
    Options
    OneOddOne wrote: »
    Fitch, what do you mean by clean whole foods? I have a ton of cool easy recipes that I love, but if they don't match your eating habits they won't do you much good lol

I eat a lot of higher fats, proteins and low carb. I love bacon, everything is better with bacon =)

My clean whole foods, I mean nothing processed. So fish, chicken, fruits, veggies, pumpkin seeds, plain greek yogurt, small amounts of cheese. :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Wanted to add, some of my favorite meals are scrambles/omelettes. Eggs are cheap and easy and can be infinitely customized, plus they contain good nutrients and fat and protein.
  • fitchlets
    Options
    But, I fear I'll run out of ideas, so new recipes would be super helpful. Oh and EGGS. I eat eggs almost every morning fried in coconut oil. And sweet potatoes as well.
  • fitchlets
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I enjoy making homemade marinara sauce with garlic, onion, carrot then add tomatoes and spices like crushed red pepper, dried italian seasoning. I used this for eggplant parm (roasted eggplant slices topped with marinara and cheese). I also enjoy it with zucchini noodles. You can make these simply by making thin noodles using a cheese slicer.

Also, salsa. Diced tomatoes, garlic, cumin, jalapeno and lime juice. This is great with grilled chicken, fish, etc. I don't know how clean you're eating but baked corn tortillas. I make egg white omelets with peppers, onion, tomatoes and mushrooms then top with the salsa for a low calories filling breakfast.

Favorite way to cook veggies are cut up, tossed with olive oil and seasoning then roasted in oven around 400 degrees until tender and slightly browned.

One of my best investments was a cast iron grill pan. I bought one from dollar store and one from Amazon. You can grill veggies and meat. Awesome!

Frozen tilapia is a favorite. I can bake in oven on cookie sheet or add lemon with seasoning then wrap in foil to produce a tender foil pack fish. The juice that cooks from it can be used as a sauce over brown rice.

Another is to season chicken breast with whatever seasoning you like such as Mrs Dash, seasoned salt, etc then I brown in skillet sprayed with nonstick spray. Remove and add favorite veggies (mine are pepper and onions). Lightly brown the veggies. Place chicken back on top then place in oven to finish cooking. The veggies keeps the chicken tender.

My family is a huge fan of tenderloin. It's lean and a blank pallet for any type of seasoning. It's great with steamed cabbage or some type of apple.

I found trick is to experiment and have fun.

Good luck!

Yum, these are all my kinds of foods. Thank you!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    fitchlets wrote: »
    But, I fear I'll run out of ideas, so new recipes would be super helpful. Oh and EGGS. I eat eggs almost every morning fried in coconut oil. And sweet potatoes as well.

I eat eggs five or six days per week, easily. They are so versatile. This week I've had scrambled, bacon/cheddar omelette, fried with melted cheese on top and boiled (just short of hard, eaten hot) with butter.

Ummm eggs.

• fitchlets
    Options
    Wanted to add, some of my favorite meals are scrambles/omelettes. Eggs are cheap and easy and can be infinitely customized, plus they contain good nutrients and fat and protein.

Yes, I'm loving eggs in the morning. I fry 2 in coconut oil, roast a small sweet potato and lay the eggs on top and top with a little salsa. That by far is a meal I won't get sick of. I keep trying to convince my vegan husband that he needs to start eating eggs again. He is missing out for sure.
  • Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite go to recipes is crock pot mexican chicken. (serves 6)

6 4oz chicken breasts, 1 onion, 8 oz mushrooms, 1 large jar chunky salsa, garlic, 1 can rinsed black beans, 1 can rinsed corn.

Put that in crock pot on low for 6 hours. If you're careful you can serve chicken breasts whole but I like it shredded better. I serve on top of brown rice (1/2 cup per serving) but my husband likes to put his serving in wraps. Sour cream or greek yogurt for added yummy.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • carnivalnights
    carnivalnights Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My absolute favourite healthy food blog is skinnytaste.com like the above user stated. And I am always inspired by using Pinterest to find new recipes. On Pinterest you can follow tons of healthy food boards and never run out of ideas. :) For breakfast, there are tons of ways to mix up overnights oats so I'd highly recommend that as a staple. It's full of protein. In mine I use rolled oats, chia seeds, milk, Greek yogurt and either fruit or nuts, and sometimes things like vanilla extract or shredded unsweetened coconut.
  • trilawyer
    trilawyer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For an easy weeknight dinner, I love making salmon in the oven in foil with herbs. I love combos such as lemon and rosemary, garlic and thyme, etc. It's easy and healthy. I make a foil packet and put the fish in a 350 degree oven for about 15 min. It's tender and moist when done, and doesn't need anything except a delicious veggie side such as broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

I also love roasting cauliflower by tossing the florets in a little olive oil with garlic, black pepper, and other seasonings (ranging from harissa to lemon and thyme, etc. depending on my mood) and then roasting at 375 for 30 min. It takes 5 min or less to prep, then makes a wonderful crunchy addition to weekday lunches. Use parchment paper to line the baking pan for super easy cleanup too!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I was "morbidly obese" to begin with, now I'm just boring "overweight". Yawn. That's MUCH less exciting.

Here's some favourites of mine:

Chicken, Leek, and Butternut Squash bake: http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/chicken-leek-and-butternut-squash-bake#.VLBIHiusVMg

Skinny Taste Bolognase: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/12/pasta-with-bolognese-sauce.html

Veggie alfredo lasagna: http://pinchofyum.com/veggie-alfredo-lasagna

Skinny Taste chicken enchiladas: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/chicken-enchiladas.html
  • misscrankyfatpants
    Options
    I love to use pinterest for recipe ideas. I have found that I love brussel sprouts! My staples are: eggs, avocado, cucumber, broccoli, spinach, green beans, asparagus, cauliflower and meats like chicken breast and turkey. I do have ham and beef but not as frequently. The combinations and possibilities are endless.
  • fitchlets
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I'm going to get out a spreadsheet now and get these ideas down and check out skinytaste.com!