Confession

Options
I have an unhealthy and toxic love affair with the Orange Chicken sold at Asian Chao in the mall food court. Never fails. I tell myself I want it, and then I can't talk myself out it. Next thing I know I am sitting at a table with a plate of rice and Orange Chicken.

This food thing is hard and I struggle a lot. Old habits die hard. Today was no different.

Do you have a food you struggle with? How do you overcome it? Or do you have something food/diet/health related that you want to confess?

Sabrina
www.sneakersandsass.com

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Nope, I generally eat everything I want, making room for it in my caloric allowance. This way I don't go with out, so never feel restricted.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If I really crave a food bad (my weakness is tabasco cheezits for some reason). I make room for it. Every night around 10 I REALLY want those cheezits. rather than obsess about it I gave up my afternoon snack to make room for them.

Can you clear some room for the calories? can you maybe not eat a full plate of it? Take part of it to go to make that possible? If so that would be my 1st recommendation. Barring that don't shop at the mall would be my next one.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Anything pickled. When I start thinking about salty things I actually start to salivate like Pavlov's dogs.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Frosted Mini Wheats with chocolate milk...

I really need to remember to bring some healthy snacks to work so I'm not tempted to go to the kiosk on my afternoon break...
  • Sabrina_Alex
    Sabrina_Alex Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eating anything I want is a slippery slope. I wouldn't deprive myself of a treat (say ice cream, or something). Losing weight, for me, is about making the appropriate lifestyle change to focus on healthy choices all the time. I don't want Orange Chicken (or whatever the food is) to be "allowed" just because I have the calories to do so. That seems unhealthy.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm not suggesting you eat anything you want. however there's a large gap between everything you want and that one thing that is your weakness. I cut back or eliminated everything else unhealthy I eat except the cheezits actually I have cut back on them too because i make sure and have one serving a day no more.

Unless you go the the mall several times a day I don't see how it would be unhealthy to eat it if you keep below your calorie allowance.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I confess I bought and devoured an entire bag of Lindt peanut butter truffles-880 calories and I logged it too!
    I enjoyed every last ball!
  • Milenac93
    Milenac93 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I struggle with pizza and Chinese food the most. Oh and french fries. Instead of fitting it into my calories I try to "healthify" the foods I'm craving. For example, if i'm dying for pizza I'll use a flax and oat bran tortilla and put some crushed tomatoes on it, add some garlic, oregano, and a little bit of pecorino romano cheese topped with spinach and throw it in the oven. The result? A low cal, delicious flatbread pizza!

It's kind of fun trying to make the foods you crave healthier. I've made my own ice cream, pancakes, and fettucini alfredo that can take away the craving while still giving me nutrition.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose all self control when it comes to pizza. I'll buy a frozen pizza and eat the entire thing by myself, or I'll order a large pizza and breadsticks from pizza hut and devour half the pizza and 3 of the breadsticks, and give the rest to my fiance (who never seems to finish his, but that's probably why he weighs 135 and I weigh what I do, lol). I'm going to try to schedule pizza days for myself though and hope that helps me deal with pizza cravings,
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Fitting it into your diet is the sustainable path. You just need to plan for it.
    For example: Going to the mall & know you'll be having orange chicken? Eat a light breakfast and plan for a lower calorie dinner and a light evening snack. Drink lots of water throughout the day to help fill you up between meals. If you're full while eating the orange chicken, take the rest home for the next day instead of finishing it up in the mall.

Learning to maintain your new lifestyle means learning to incorporate your favorites in a responsible manner. You can do this.
  • Luciagarner
    Options
    I'm with you Sabrina. I want to have a lifestyle of healthy eating. That includes being careful about additives in foods etc...So many meals in restaurants are loaded with extra sugar, oil, salt and other additives to boost the flavor. It really isn't necessary if you go off that kind of food for a while, your tastebuds become sensitized again and you begin to be able to really taste the different flavors. I would recommend eating a really clean and healthy diet for a couple of months and then create your own recipe for the Asian Orange Chicken using ingredients that are flavorful and eating a small portion. You will really taste the difference. I promise you.
  • Sabrina_Alex
    Sabrina_Alex Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Everyone has had such great responses and input! I really appreciate it. It's so useful to be able to draw from other people and support one another. LOVE MFP.

PS - if anyone wants to friend me, feel free! :smile:
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I confess I bought and devoured an entire bag of Lindt peanut butter truffles-880 calories and I logged it too!
    I enjoyed every last ball!

I got a bag of chocolate with white chocolate centers for xmas... I've managed to not eat more than 1 serving in a single setting so far... Mainly because I have to log it, LOL!