Wellbutrin withdraw weight gain

Anybody stop antidepressants and gain weight? I stopped about a month ago now and keep steadily gaining weight. About 10 lbs in a month already. Please tell me this eventually stops? I do have a bigger apptite (mainly just cravings) because of it. Does that go away? I do give in some days, but i havent been eating enough to gain. (not 10 lbs in a month anyway) Most days i stay at maintenance some days i go a bit over. Before anyone asks, yes i weigh my food, yes i count every bite. Its nothing im doing wrong...I lost 120 lbs before so i know how to do it right. So...anyone know how long this will last? Thanks.

Replies

• k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    I took welbutrin about 3 years ago. I gained a ton of weight while on it but didn't notice if it kept going when I stopped. Have you tried calling your doctor? Maybe there can be something that can stop the effects? Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    You're eating too much. Hear me out! Your maintenance *ON* Wellbutrin was higher than it is OFF Wellbutrin. If you're gaining you're eating more than your body's current maintenance level. Sorry to bear the bad news.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Phrick wrote: »
    You're eating too much. Hear me out! Your maintenance *ON* Wellbutrin was higher than it is OFF Wellbutrin. If you're gaining you're eating more than your body's current maintenance level. Sorry to bear the bad news.

i agree with this. stopping medications typically doesn't cause weight gain on its own.

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    I gained 40+ pounds in six weeks going off a similar med. I was ravenous all the time, no matter how much I ate. Took another 18 months of maintaining before I felt like trying to lose it. I will say that it dropped off easily, so don't worry that there's any permanent damage done.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    I went off Welbutrin last summer and lost 10 pounds that month. Went off Zoloft the following month and lost 8 pounds that month. I agree with the others. You are eating above maintenance.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    You should talk to your doctor. I don't think it has anything to do with welbutrin. Other meds that may cause weight gain, also internal swollen.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    I don't think this alone would account for 10 lbs in a month, but is it possible your activity levels changed as well? Depression and anxiety affect people physically in different ways, so I can see how either stopping an antidepressant OR reaching a remission to the point you don't need the med anymore could affect how much conscious exercise and subconscious movement you're getting.

nb: I am making a BIG assumption that you are taking Wellbutrin for depression/anxiety concerns. Egg on my face if that isn't the case, with apologies.
  • spinmomz
    spinmomz Posts: 5 Member
    I don't think this alone would account for 10 lbs in a month, but is it possible your activity levels changed as well? Depression and anxiety affect people physically in different ways, so I can see how either stopping an antidepressant OR reaching a remission to the point you don't need the med anymore could affect how much conscious exercise and subconscious movement you're getting.

nb: I am making a BIG assumption that you are taking Wellbutrin for depression/anxiety concerns. Egg on my face if that isn't the case, with apologies.

• spinmomz
    spinmomz Posts: 5 Member
    spinmomz wrote: »

you should have your thyroid checked

• KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    I'm going through the same thing. I've gained 15 pounds in the three months since I've stopped Wellbutrin. In that time I've been counting calories or following Weight Watchers or a combination of both. I'm going to my dr to see what's up this week. I got to my goal weight of 145 on Wellbutrin, although I was taking it for depression not weight loss.

I don't know why it effects weight/metabolism but it does. Don't let people tell you otherwise. I'm a bit freaked out but trying to trust that my body will adjust naturally again at some point.
  • b_magill
    b_magill Posts: 72 Member
    I would honestly tell you to go get your blood work done, with an extra test for thyroid function. One of the main side effects of Wellbutrin, in particular, is that is messes with the thyroid in some patients. If you were on it for an extended period of time, it may just be your hormones losing their minds at this point.

I'm still going through something similar from taking a massive, heavy duty steroid. I blew up, and despite diet and exercise according to the doctor's orders, it's come off slowly.