I Need Help Please!!! (TDEE and BMR related)

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SOME MATH

So this equals ( for my own stats that I posted in my earlier posts)

CONSUMED CALORIES: 2000 calories (x 5 days) + 1800 calories (x 2 days) = 13600

SUBTRACT my deficits: 797 calories (x 2 days) + 1097 calories (x 5 days) - this is from my daily deficit of 597 calories + 500 calorie workout

= Weekly deficit of 7052 a week which is about 2 pounds!!

IS THIS RIGHT? Someone please tell me it is because my brain hurts lol

Well if your TDEE is right, then if you eat 2000 calories daily (which you should even on non workout days), then you would have a 600 calorie per day deficit. Also, keep in mind, the the estimates for workout burns are just estimates, even if you use a fitbit or HRM or use the machines.

Just monitor it for a month and you will discover your true TDEE. If you average 1 lb per week, then your TDEE is 2500, if you average more, then it's higher.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I rounded it to a 500 calories a day deficit simply because I have a desk job and sit around all day then go to the gym but I go 5x a week and work my butt off :)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Why do you have a 597 daily deficit PLUS a 500 calorie workout deficit?

I think you're confusing me now. Don't include any exercise calories.

Log how LONG you work out to make sure your activity level is legit, but just put the amount burned in a 1 calorie.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind your TDEE of 2597 includes exercise. So here is the simple math.

2597 (TDEE) *.8 (20% deficit) = 2077

Calories consumed = 2000
    Deficit = 597
    Weekly deficit 4,179
    Weekly Weight loss = 1.2 lbs per week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I rounded it to a 500 calories a day deficit simply because I have a desk job and sit around all day then go to the gym but I go 5x a week and work my butt off :)

If your TDEE is 2597 that would include an average of 2500/week from exercise or 357/day averaged out. so on days you workout your deficit will be larger than 597, but on days you don't workout it will be less than 597
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Options

Log how LONG you work out to make sure your activity level is legit, but just put the amount burned in a 1 calorie.

I thought because there a;ready was a 597 deficit I log my exercise too.. but I guess this is already included.. my brain seriously hurts. :embarassed:
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Options

Calories consumed = 2000
    Deficit = 597
    Weekly deficit 4,179

So this is all I should do + my regular workouts and not count my exercise because it is already counted? .... :ohwell:
  • erickirb
    Options

I thought because there a;ready was a 597 deficit I log my exercise too.. but I guess this is already included.. my brain seriously hurts. :embarassed:

Your TDEE of 2597 x 7 = 18179, which inclueds and activity estimate that also includes your 2500 (500*5) cals from exercise.
  • erickirb
    Options

Calories consumed = 2000
    Deficit = 597
    Weekly deficit 4,179

So this is all I should do + my regular workouts and not count my exercise because it is already counted? .... :ohwell:

Yes
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Eat 2077 daily.

/thread.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Calories consumed = 2000
    Deficit = 597
    Weekly deficit 4,179

Yes

bingo :)
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.....
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Options
    Things are clear as mud now! lol. Now I just need to explain all of this to my boyfriend (we are dieting together)

Thanks again everyone!:drinker:
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yes, but if I record my exercise, which I do just to keep track, would I need to eat anything back?

No. if you have already done all the math then the 2077 is already taking your average exercise burn into account. You could always eat a little less, but NEVER less than your BMR.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mn456fJZZx1s4ht91o1_500.gif
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mn456fJZZx1s4ht91o1_500.gif

This is a very fitting gif! :D Win!
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Options
    Because I wasn't sure what to do... So i asked a question to get clarification. That isn't wrong I assume.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Because I wasn't sure what to do... So i asked a question to get clarification. That isn't wrong I assume.

if it really bugs you to know how much you burn each day, and you don't want to go by averages, then don't do TDEE. If you want to log your exercise calories, then do it. Set MFP up to lose 1 lb a week, sedentary and then eat back your exercise calories. Otherwise, just take your TDEE - 15-20% and forget about logging in your calorie burns.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Calories consumed = 2000
    Deficit = 597
    Weekly deficit 4,179

Yes.