kale chips

Options
Jennloella
Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
I really love kale chips, so do my kids and husband - but I'd really like more control over the salt/sodium content so I want to make them. I've seen lots of recipes and they're all over the place in regards to oven temp and cooking time and oil amount. Anyone successfully make them at home? crispy not burnt, not soggy? what was your magic combo for heat and cook time?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I over cooked my last batch. Ovens vary. The first time or two, you need to watch in order to get the timing right.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I liked them. Don't need a ton of oil and then massage it onto the leaf. Single layer on sheet pan cooks up pretty quick. Go lite on salt, thought I did but was still too much.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I burnt my first batch too. I've got recipes saying 425, and some saying 300. Quite a variance!
  • HLindsayA
    Options
    Funny you posted this today, as I attempted homemade baked kale chips for the very first time today and it was a complete success!

I got pre washed and pre torn organic kale
    I set the desired amount on a paper towel and left it out for a couple hours to dry - in my Google search, I found the dryer the kale, the better.
    I used spray olive oil and coated the pan, then rubbed the kale all over in the oil, and made sure most/all the surface of the kale was covered. Even with the spray, I used too much oil, so, use sparingly.
    I spread the kale out so it was a single layer, and lightly salted.
    Baked at 275 for about 10 minutes. Stirred around with a spatula a bit and gave it 5 more minutes.