The Food Lovers?

Options
Has anyone tried The Food Lovers diet in additiont to MFP? Thoughts?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you need to pay 140$ to get started??? Why don't you just try a caloric deficit. It's free!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    any weight loss diet is just restricting your calorie intake while trying to trick you into thinking there's more to it than that. eat less, move more. it's that simple.
  • mbeberniss
    mbeberniss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree...it is way to costly, BUT my mom had already bought the program and gave me the books, that is why I was asking...
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    What do they provide? Recipes? I can't see the point in paying someone to give me recipes. I did a quick search on the Food Lovers Diet and found an Amazon review that says all the plan does is tell you to eat every 3-4 hours and to combine a carb, a protein, a healthy fat and a fruit or veggie at each meal. That sounds like the one-one-one diet that is going around too. Sounds a bit like the really old (1970s era) weight watchers plan where they focused on portions and getting X amount from carbs/proteins/fats each day, also.

In other words, just normal common sense that you can put together yourself if you like structured eating.

Do you need help coming up with menus? I guess I'm curious what you are looking for exactly OP.

55835802.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just eat in a deficit. It's a sustainable lifestyle change you're looking for here, so you get to keep the loss.
  • mbeberniss
    Options
    Sodakat - yes I need help coming up with meals that are lower in calorie but keep me full enough. I feel like I am always hungry and eating carrots constantly. I am trying to make really good choices but feel like I am "missing out." Tonight I even made a healthy salad while my family ordered and ate pizza.

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you have your calorie goal set too low to begin with. No need to go crazy. I found that eventually I was satisfied on "less" but there are times when I just need to eat a bit more.

So, maybe you should consider either changing your weekly weight loss goal by a half pound or even a pound. That should give you a couple hundred extra calories a day. Or, you can up your activity level by one, which will also result in a 200-300 calorie increase, depending on your current weight.

I try really hard not to eat differently than "I used to" or from my family. You could definitely have a sliver of pizza along with your salad and if you plan accordingly, a decent size piece of pizza. That extra 200 calories from changing your weekly loss amount would accommodate the regular size slice of pizza.

I general eat about 300 - 350 calories for breakfast and that allows bacon/egg/toast (I use lite bread) or cereal and greek yogurt or oatmeal or cream of wheat and milk plus fruit with any of the above, along with my coffee and one tablespoon of vanilla flavored creamer.

For lunch I aim for 300-400 and really there is little that doesn't fit there. Feel free to look at my diary. I use the recipe builder a lot, entering my own ingredients or linking to a recipe I find online.

Supper is 400-500 for me depending on how much I want to devote to snacks and how large my previous meals were. If possible, I eat protein and fat at each meal because that keeps me feeling full.

I was devoting too many calories to snacks for a couple weeks there, especially around the holidays and am making an effort to not do that right now. But if you go back several months in my diary you will see lots of snack ideas that aren't too high in calories.

If anything, I go over on sodium which does affect weight loss due to water retention so be mindful of that if you are sensitive to sodium. An example of that would be the beef jerky and smoked almonds I eat. Both really fill me up however.

There are some great ideas in the recipe section on here, btw. Just scroll through the pages.

55835802.png
  • mbeberniss
    Options
    THANK YOU!
  • gigmaster
    gigmaster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am on the Anything Diet. I can eat whatever I want, but if it tastes good, I have to spit it out....... :D
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're still hungry, I've found three things to really help enormously.

1. Pad your meals out with fruit and vegetables. I try to make more than half of each meal non-starchy fruit and veg. Not only does the bulk fill you up, but the fibre keeps you fuller for longer.

2. Make sure you get enough protein. This is quite hard for some, but I've found that a diet of at least 30% protein stops me being hungry. You can be really good and get it all from meat and fish (the highest sources) or supplement with a good quality protein powder and protein bars. Snack on protein too: greek yoghurt, nuts, lean meats can all be quick eats. You can also find recipes for high protein treats like cookies and brownies online.

3. It's better to give yourself a few hundred calories a day more and a couple more months to get to target than to try to lose 2lbs a week on 1200 calories and be hungry all the time. MFP suggests about 1500 a day for me to lose a pound a week. I'm aiming for 1600 most days, and that gives me room for the days when I want/need to go over. It probably averages out at 1700 or 1800. This is much, much easier to stick to long term than trying to lose the weight faster.

Oh, and you can totally have pizza! I ate pizza twice last week. Nom. :smiley:Half a thin crust frozen pizza with a huge salad. And a huge home made tortilla pizza with low fat cheese, yesterday for lunch.