Oils

hi, do most people count the calories in the oils/butters they use to prepare meals? Do you need to? Thanks!

Replies

• Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    I do because oils and condiments have calories too
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Yes, they are a dense source of calories
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I generally do, unless there is an entry that already incorporates the oils, like Fried Egg. You can tell by comparing the nutritional info.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Most recipes tell you to use 2-3 tablespoons of oil to saute onions. There's 120 calories in one tablespoon of coconut oil and 119 in olive oil. That's a lot of calories (240-360) and it will throw off your weight loss results if you don't account for them.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Yes, they are a dense source of calories

Ditto
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Coconut oil is my go to oil currently. Yes the calories count but being high fat calories just come with Fats.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Absolutely, count the calories. But if you're sauteeing, you don't need nearly as much oil as many people use. Just enough to coat the bottom of the pan should be enough, and then if you're cooking longer (such as caramelized onions) you can add a spoonful of water or broth at a time to avoid sticking. Only deep-frying really needs a lot of oil, and I just don't do that at home.
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    In a veggie stir-fry, the oil can be 90% of the calories. But a quick 10 calorie spray of Pam in a patch of Potatoes and Eggs, that I usually don't bother counting.