Eating is ruining my life

Options
darreneatschicken
darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
I absolutely hate it. I've been counting calories for a year now, and I just can't seem to gain weight. I know I'm not eating enough, and everyday is a struggle. I wake up everyday thinking of how much i have to eat and i just hate it. I hate eating. I hate eating. My body just can't eat. Even when I try to eat, I can't. For example, I woke up at 1 pm today. It is now 7 pm. At 5 pm I had a grande white chocolate mocha from Starbucks. That is all I've consumed the entire day. I am not hungry. I just tried to eat a piece of beef and I couldn't. I tried chewing it and it was so gross that my body spat it out. I then tried to eat some rice, but couldn't either. I feel like I can only drink things, but I know that my diet cannot consist of booster juice and white chocolate mochas. Sometimes I spend the entire night awake, smoking pot, trying to get hungry and eating. That is why if you look at my food diary, I have hit my goal of 3000 calories in the past two days. This is because I stay up all night eating and even when I do that, I cannot hit 3000 calories. So when I eat the next day, I make sure to add the stats to the previous day. I cannot move on to adding calories for the current day if I have not achieved 3000 for the previous day. I hate eating. I just can't do it. I think my body is worn out from trying to eat too much. It is like in a rejection state right now. I honestly feel like I could go through an entire day without eating, and I wouldn't feel anything bad or good. I really want to bulk, but I also want to sleep. People tell me to eat caloric dense foods but because they are so caloric dense, eating only a bit fills me up. Like a 1000 calorie protein shake would probably take me a few hours to drink. That's how long it takes me to drink a booster juice. Chocolate white mochas from starbucks I can down in like 10 minutes. Dunno why, they just taste really good, but they also fill me up for hours.

Replies

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should see a doctor? Might be an underlying issue, hope that doesn't offend.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on that you've had these issues?
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how many calories you consume each day, your protein intake is way too low. If you want to bulk, at least take 1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight you have. For example, if you weight 150lbs, you need to consume at least 150 grams of protein per day.

I would try to get most of my macro nutrient from food, but if you are really having trouble, have you tried mixing some maltodextrin or dextrose with protein powder as meal replacement? A carb/protein shake could give you 40-100 g of carb and 30-60 g of protein depending on the portion, that's 280 to 640 high quality calories in one shake. For me, it's not that hard to drink it. I drink one 280 calorie shake both before and after each workout session, that's 560 calories, and I am trying to lose weight.

Hope this could help.
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    5cbrtilq7to3.jpg
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    5cbrtilq7to3.jpg

Wow, that's quite a hefty drink, if that's what your drinking. See a doctor but first stop with those drinks, try drinking water and maybe even a detox, sounds like you need a serious reboot, if your body is rejecting food, something serious is going on that needs to be fixed before you can even start thinking about bulking or achieving your goals, eating is the up most importance of our life, even your insight is pointing it out, something has to give, hopefully the healthy choice.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe really talk to your doctor. You shouldn't hate eating. We must eat to fuel our bodies. Starbucks won't give you the body that your looking for, so maybe try to think of food in a different way.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a serious issue that should be addressed by your doctor. Some of the things you're saying raise some pretty bright red flags for a possible eating disorder. Will you please make a doctor's appointment and maybe show your doctor this thread?

Meanwhile, if drinking your calories is easier, then keep it up. You might try looking at actual meal replacement mixes, which have more vitamins and minerals than a protein shake, since they're intended to actually replace a meal rather than supplement it. They're usually higher in calories as well. Mixed with whole milk, that might at least get you some decent cals and nutrients.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    hey guys, i think i know what the problem is. so over the past few weeks, I have started having this problem where I cannot stop burping. even as i am typing this out, I am burping non-stop. after some research, i've discovered that I may be experiencing a problem known as indigestion (as a result of smoking too much weed, drinking a beer a day, and eating a lot before bedtime). the most applicable symptoms include: gas, belching and loss of appetite. gladly, there are some over the counter medicines known as antacids that I can take to help reduce this problem. i will definitely be heading to the pharmacy tomorrow but next week, I will also go to the doctor to confirm that i really do have this thing called indigestion.
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    Dern420 wrote: »
    hey guys, i think i know what the problem is. so over the past few weeks, I have started having this problem where I cannot stop burping. even as i am typing this out, I am burping non-stop. after some research, i've discovered that I may be experiencing a problem known as indigestion (as a result of smoking too much weed, drinking a beer a day, and eating a lot before bedtime). the most applicable symptoms include: gas, belching and loss of appetite. gladly, there are some over the counter medicines known as antacids that I can take to help reduce this problem. i will definitely be heading to the pharmacy tomorrow but next week, I will also go to the doctor to confirm that i really do have this thing called indigestion.

Cheers, way to take that first step!
  • deviboy1592
    Options

What's really peculiar is that you smoke weed and not get the munchies? That's a f$&kin siren right there!!!
  • tinbru
    tinbru Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem... mass gainer it's kinda expensive but 3 scoops = 900 cals.
    Also try drinking you're calories not eating
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Glad you're seeing a doctor about this.

Other things I think of is the weed, do you do it for medical or recreational reasons? I was also wondering like deviboy about not getting the munchies.

A sleeping schedule that is actually no schedule at all, but both irregular and very day-based, can have nasty effects on the whole system. If at all possible, maybe try to adjust it at least a bit so you get approximately the same amount of hours each night and in a regular manner (for instance to bed no later than 3/4 am)?

In your case, regular but smaller meals might help in that they might be easier to eat, even if you don't feel like having anything in that very moment.

Like SnuggleSmacks said, I'm a bit concerned there might be some psychological stuff going on, though, so please do see the doctor like you said you would.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Stop smoking weed all day and go do something productive.

Go speak to a doctor and your parents.

Yes. Hopefully that's pretty much the end of the thread.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat a balanced healthy diet. Learn about nutrition and compare that with your current diet.
    Include more calorie dense foods
    You must have been counting calories in your head because you certainly arent logging them on MFP.
    The weed.
    Maybe get down the gym and start working towards gaining some muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's quite a hefty drink, if that's what your drinking. See a doctor but first stop with those drinks, try drinking water and maybe even a detox, sounds like you need a serious reboot, if your body is rejecting food, something serious is going on that needs to be fixed before you can even start thinking about bulking or achieving your goals, eating is the up most importance of our life, even your insight is pointing it out, something has to give, hopefully the healthy choice.

guy's barely eating enough as it is- and you want him to STOP consuming a viable source of calories??

are you out of your mind????

YES
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    5cbrtilq7to3.jpg

What the...you are telling a guy whose only source of calories is that to stop drinking it and drink water and detox? Sorry, but this is totally irresponsible.

Also, detox what? If he has a medical issue that needs fixing, a bs detox will not do it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a serious issue that should be addressed by your doctor. Some of the things you're saying raise some pretty bright red flags for a possible eating disorder. Will you please make a doctor's appointment and maybe show your doctor this thread?

Meanwhile, if drinking your calories is easier, then keep it up. You might try looking at actual meal replacement mixes, which have more vitamins and minerals than a protein shake, since they're intended to actually replace a meal rather than supplement it. They're usually higher in calories as well. Mixed with whole milk, that might at least get you some decent cals and nutrients.

^^this.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Yup. How're you going to lift if you're stoned all day?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I will also go to the doctor to confirm that i really do have this thing called indigestion.

Really?! :trollface: