Build up strength

Options
Hi everyone! Hope everyone successfully worked off those holiday lbs.
I wanted to get your opinion on something...I started cycling 6 months ago and lost almost 16 lbs and still have 14 to go. I feel like I am getting weaker and wanted to incorporate lifting back into my schedule...I cycle 4 days a week and take one day off followed by lifting only once a week - I usually do the big three Squats (5 x 5), deadlifts (5 x5) and bench press (5 x 5) followed by rowing for 20 mins. Today was my first day doing this big three and I felt right after squats I felt a pain in my hamstrings - could be just I did not stretch enough? What can I do to bring my strength back to where it was (used to squat 225 only did 135). I want to continue cycling 4 days a week because its working in helping me lose weight

Also feel free to send me a friend request looking for like minded motivated peeps to stay on track with

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Look into an established strength program. You seem to like 5x5 so Stronglifts could be perfect for you. My understanding with it is that the deadlifts are 1x5 but everything else is 5x5. That program has you increase squats and deadlifts by 10 lbs each workout (I think) and everything else by 5 lbs.
  • seanoliva
    Options
    not necessarily^^
    you won't be able to make substantial strength gains because you're in a calorie deficit, regardless of the program you do. you might be able to make some gains initially, but not a huge amount, I suggest having your weight training day on a day you're eating carbs, you'll have more energy then and be able to lift more. hope this helps :)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    seanoliva wrote: »
    not necessarily^^
    you won't be able to make substantial strength gains because you're in a calorie deficit, regardless of the program you do. you might be able to make some gains initially, but not a huge amount, I suggest having your weight training day on a day you're eating carbs, you'll have more energy then and be able to lift more. hope this helps :)

Not true for a new lifter or one coming back into the game from time off as strength is also a function of your central nervous system and not just muscle size. Yes, at some point in time, strength gains are very hard and slow coming without adding more muscle (thus being in a caloric surplus), but one can make very substantial strength gains, even in a caloric deficit, with proper programming and assuming he is new to lifting or is coming back to lifting from a hiatus. Men running Stronlift's 5x5 normally take their squat from 135lbs to 300lbs for reps in matter of 6-12 months. Being in an deficit will probably dictate it takes toward the longer timeframe to achieve, but adding 200lbs to a squat total is substantial in my book.