Can someone explain "Different Body Part Differnt Day" concept?

Options
Hi All,

I'm new to MFP and to getting into serious shape. My stats are M/48/6'4"/CW 300

I've read in numerous places how people weightlift or work different body parts only on certain days of the week. Not all at once. I do understand that muscles need time to rest. What I don't get is why only one day a week? That's working one part 4 times a month. Doesn't that take so long to see faster results? My thinking is working all parts 3-4 times a week with days off in between would be more beneficial. I'm lost, what am I missing?

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    It is probably a better idea for the average lifter to hit each body part more than once per week.

The body parts split has just been around forever. Its what a lot of the big body builders did/do so that is what the lifters at the local gym think they should do. A lot of volume that requires a lot of recovery.

A lot of people, even natural lifters, have gotten great results doing it so its not really a bad thing even if its not optimal. There is also a lot of over lap when doing certain lifts. So technically muscle groups are getting hit multiple times per week.

You are right though. 3-4xfull body, 4xupper/lower or push/pull/legs are probably better for most people depending on their goals, age, recovery ability, lifting experience and so on.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi there! It's not just one body part that you'd be working, a better term would be 'muscle group'. You would want to train different sections of your body (upper/lower, midsection, or even whole body on occasion..etc.) on different days of the week to allow a maximum of rest (some suggest 48-72 hours). You'd be able to train muscle groups more than once per week, depending on your goals and energy. Another option would be, to group exercises in a certain way that you target specific/opposite muscles of the same sections of your body, e.g. exercises that require a PULL motion (pullups, rows, variety of lat pulldowns..) or PUSH motion (pushups, dumbbell presses, barbell bench press....).
    Have fun, train safe!
  • JohnRHII
    Options
    I do two muscle groups a day, chest and biceps, day one, back and triceps ,day two, legs and shoulders day three. Usually do calves with legs ,stomach any other day and shrugs with shoulders. Dead lifts I would do with back if my discs weren't trashed. It is a good workout , you hit every group twice in 7 days . Do three different exercises of 4 sets and 8 to 10 reps. Builds strength and size. Too many reps and no strength. Find a diet to go with your routine. High protein. You can see what certain actors and body builders do for calories and get an idea from that. You take one day off after three on. It is a good routine and will you see results fast. I used to do chest -day one, back -day two, legs and shoulders day three and biceps and triceps day four. It is a good routine for strength, your muscles can heal a day longer and you can lift more , heavier weight = more strength. Every so often throw in different exercises, your body adapts fast and will not grow as well, you need to keep throwing it curves.
    Good luck, you will figure your body out over time , everyone is different.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You grow when you recover not when you lift, so if you're not providing adequate rest and nutrition for your muscles you won't gain nearly as quickly. I personally train arms,next day chest and back, next shoulders and legs...with a little cardio and core work each day then skip the 4th day and start over. I do this continuously and then take a week off every 12 weeks or so to let CNS and muscles fully recover...not everyone will agree but this is what has produced results for me
  • AZTallguy
    AZTallguy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the advice everyone. I need and appreciate all the info. Anyone else care to add to it, please do!

Here's my plan to start out with all the suggestions given. Being so out of shape and weak, I think I will hit the machines and free weights using heaviest manageable weights to do say 40 reps. Do that 4 days a week. That will get me up to speed. I'll increase my protein. And after a month or two, work a couple of parts a day with higher weights from there. And remembering to change it up every so often to add variety. Got it!

Thanks for the note about different muscles have different actions ex. Push or Pull. I'll keep that in mind when moving from exercise to exercise.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    start slow not too much weight, the setbacks from overdoing it often derail people
  • fittejana
    Options
    Look up free workouts at Bodybuilding.com for ideas. Form is very important so if just starting out pay attention to that so you stay injury free.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Tall1IAm wrote: »
    Okay, thanks for the advice everyone. I need and appreciate all the info. Anyone else care to add to it, please do!

Here's my plan to start out with all the suggestions given. Being so out of shape and weak, I think I will hit the machines and free weights using heaviest manageable weights to do say 40 reps. Do that 4 days a week. That will get me up to speed. I'll increase my protein. And after a month or two, work a couple of parts a day with higher weights from there. And remembering to change it up every so often to add variety. Got it!

Thanks for the note about different muscles have different actions ex. Push or Pull. I'll keep that in mind when moving from exercise to exercise.

I'd highly recommend using a beginners programme rather than trying to do your own thing. These are tried and tested and if you put in the work, you're guaranteed results. (SL5x5, All-Pros, starting Strength etc.)

No need for crazy high reps either, that's just cardio.