Burning question about calories in calories out...workout stuff.

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    clyn27 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    When I go to zumba I burn between 600 and 800 calories. When I log zumba into mfp their average is like 750. Plus she did another half hour of work out. She definitely got 1000 calories burned that day

Per hour? I weigh 129lb and can't burn more than 600 per hour in a 10k race, flat out sprint.

Yes per hour. If you ask an instructor they usually say average is between 500 and 1000 calories burned depending on how into it you get.

zumba instructors don't know ANYTHING.
    seriously how can you POSSIBLY take anything they say nutrionally with any sort of credibility.

I'd be willing to buy between 3-500 MAX... but there is out and out no way anyone is burning 1000 calories in a 50 min zumba class.
    NOT HAPPENING.

I wear a fitbit. I burn any where between 600 and 800 calories in a 60 min class. Sorry not every one can right all the time!

That is extremely unlikely. Assuming your profile pic is reasonably accurate, you would have to be approaching olympic-athlete level of fitness to achieve that kind of burn.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    OP, this has become a train wreck of a thread... sorry.

1000 cals certainly isn't advised, but it probably won't cause you any issues in the short term. Do it for a few weeks or maybe a couple of months, but I wouldn't sustain it much longer than that. Just don't ignore the importance of long term sustainability. There's a reason why so many people put the weight back on after they lose it.

As I said earlier...
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    That said, 1000ish cals per day while burning 200ish through exercise is certainly enough to lose weight. Is it healthy? Healthy is relative, but most will say that this is not healthy (too few calories), especially if you were to sustain it long term. Low cals for a week or a month probably isn't a big deal... but certainly could be over months and years.

Speaking of sustaining long term... don't undervalue the importance of your ability to sustain a diet and exercise plan long term. Nothing meaningful is going to happen in a day or a week, so make sure you can maintain things long term.