What's all this about losing muscle mass?

Options
So I'm near my goal weight. I've been losing weight very slowly because I never had a lot to lose. I know that there are benefits to lifting weights (strength training) but I've never really done it and I don't like it. I walk a lot and I run a little. I'm not a couch potato at all but I keep reading, here on MFP, about the danger of losing muscle mass. Am I really hurting myself by just doing cardio? I try to eat enough protein but I rarely hit my macro number. Advice?

Replies

• Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are an easy way to increase your protein numbers without raising calories too high.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Have some muscle mass will keep you look toned and have that nice body shape. It will also make your daily activities feel easier. But if you are feeling fine doing what you do, there is no reason to go out of your way to build extra muscle.

As long as you are not having too much of a calorie deficit each day (more than 10% of your maintenance calorie), and eat no less than 0.6 g of protein per 1 lb of your total body weight, you don't have to worry about losing muscle mass with some cardio exercise.
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you don't like weights, then try calisthenics. You won't get huge, but you will get toned.