Should I get a digital or 'manual' weight scale?

Options
Which one is better....also do the digital ones last a long time? They sure look better than the cheaper manual ones.
Thanks

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey! Go digital! I've had one for about a year, probably cost the equivalent of $25. It reads down to 0.1 lb increments, and it is consistent ... i.e., take reading, step off, take reading, step off, take reading ... same reading all 3 times.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Digital, my manual ones were way off!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Digital for sure!! Accuracy is key :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Digital scales these days are more precise than household analog scales, which often need to be recalibrated. I used a mechanical analog scale recently; I set it to 0, stepped on and weighed myself (149), then stepped off, and the dial was at -1, not 0.

Most household scales will vary in accuracy (how close their readings are to your actual weight as determined by a professional scale), but digital ones will be more precise (they will give more consistent readings than analog scales). As long as you always use the same scale, precision is more important than accuracy.

The only advantage of mechanical analog scales is that they don't use batteries. My Withings scale uses 8 AAA batteries a year (2 sets of 4), but it is also powering WiFi off of them; I use rechargeables for it now. My older digital scale has gone for years on one pair of AA batteries.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital scale yesterday. On Amazon. They all look pretty much the same, about the same price.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Digital! Analog is not as precise and the indicator will wobble if you look down to see your weight, fidget, etc. I have a cheapie digital scale that is still going strong on two AA batteries after two and a half years.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    As I'm looking at all these answers, does the OP mean food scale or body scale? I assumed food scale :)
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    As I'm looking at all these answers, does the OP mean food scale or body scale? I assumed food scale :)

No I mean a 'body scale'. Thanks

• shartran
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm off to the store right now and will definitely be purchasing a digital one!
  • shartran
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Hey! Go digital! I've had one for about a year, probably cost the equivalent of $25. It reads down to 0.1 lb increments, and it is consistent ... i.e., take reading, step off, take reading, step off, take reading ... same reading all 3 times.

Hey you! Thanks for your input:)

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I realize not everyone has access to one or room to put it, but after going through many digital and "manual" scales, I refurbed an old doctor's scale, the one with the platform, large column and arm with counterweights. It is truly awesome.

Whatever scale you get, make sure you have a good, solid, flat floor to put it on with no carpet if possible.