People at work think I'm weird?

Options
Because they've seen me drink egg whites on my break for lunch. So now they make fun of me and crack jokes. Not really sure how to handle this. They also started calling me "whites". I hope that's not a racial thing. I'm thinking of telling the supervisor but I don't wanna be a snitch and make the situation worse.

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    eat the whole egg.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    ... say "Dude, not cool. Find another hobby." "Don't you have something better to do than watch me eat?"
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    Who cares what they say. My friends pick on me about my eating. I just laugh and move on. Im doing this for me and i could care less what anybody else says or thinks.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Flex your muscles at them. That should shut them up.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    People at work know I'm weird. What I eat is the least of it.

How long has this been going on? If it's new maybe just wait a day or two and see if it passes, surely (unless your colleagues are in middle school) the novelty should wear off quite soon.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are just doing it in good fun and don't know it bothers you. Or maybe they are jealous because they have little boy arms! lol
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I think you're a troll.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eh, embrace it. You can't force somebody not to think you are weird and without more detail it doesn't seem like the jokes are harmful. I don't know where you work but joking is often a sign of camaraderie, not derision.
  • Eserra0510
    Eserra0510 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Usually I find that the people who comment the most in a negative way are just trying to make themselves feel better because you are doing something good for your body and health and being successful and they are not for whatever reason. They are trying to justify their lack of action! Ignore them and do what is right for you.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Just laugh it off and ask them if they lift. They don't lift obviously, so you win.
  • Jilllybeanns
    Jilllybeanns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Because they've seen me drink egg whites on my break for lunch. So now they make fun of me and crack jokes. Not really sure how to handle this. They also started calling me "whites". I hope that's not a racial thing. I'm thinking of telling the supervisor but I don't wanna be a snitch and make the situation worse.
    People think I'm weird too for the lifestyle choices I am making and other choices I have made in my life. My answer to them is "Tell me what normal is and I will be normal!"
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your serious , but if it really bothers you then maybe try to open up a dialog with them. Explain why you do these things and explain your fitness/health goals. Maybe they don't understand. After you explain everything they might ease up on you. I wouldn't go to the management yet, that will likely make things worse. Unless you feel threatened or abused ,I don't recommend telling on them. Just try to have an adult conversation with your coworkers and see if that helps.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I had guns like those, sir, I'd be flexing at them and saying something to the effect of "Argue with the results, man!" You look fantastic, you're healthy, and the egg whites thing works for you, who gives a crap what a bunch of middle-school-brained coworkers have to say?
  • hlbrennan
    hlbrennan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ... say "Dude, not cool. Find another hobby." "Don't you have something better to do than watch me eat?"

This ^^^ :)
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Who cares. Be confident in who you are.

133977-thoughtfull-quotes-im-different.jpg

Besides, I'm willing to bet some of them admire you for doing your own thing; even though they're too weak to show it.
  • M1SS703
    M1SS703 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's funny: I work in a camp setting, so eat all of my meals with coworkers. It AMAZES me how a person can eat a plate with hamburgers, French fries and gravy and no one says a word, but when I show up at the table with a salad with chicken breast and a tiny sprinkle of shredded cheese, how quickly people jump on the ol' healthy eating bandwagon and start laying into me about cheese being unhealthy!!

People don't understand why we do what we do, and when they see us putting effort into health, it makes them feel guilty that they aren't making the same commitment. To compensate for their guilt, they try to make others who ARE focusing on their health feel stupid about it.

Laugh it off. In the end, it comes down to their insecurity. You are the better person for it! :)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    M1SS703 wrote: »
    It's funny: I work in a camp setting, so eat all of my meals with coworkers. It AMAZES me how a person can eat a plate with hamburgers, French fries and gravy and no one says a word, but when I show up at the table with a salad with chicken breast and a tiny sprinkle of shredded cheese, how quickly people jump on the ol' healthy eating bandwagon and start laying into me about cheese being unhealthy!!

People don't understand why we do what we do, and when they see us putting effort into health, it makes them feel guilty that they aren't making the same commitment. To compensate for their guilt, they try to make others who ARE focusing on their health feel stupid about it.

Laugh it off. In the end, it comes down to their insecurity. You are the better person for it! :)

I doubt very seriously that they feel guilty about eating hamburgers and fries...besides...what's wrong with eating a hamburger and fries?

They feel guilty when they are fat and they see someone losing weight. I know because I was one of those people.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Sounds like harmless ribbing to me. Being inappropriately sensitive about your egg whites would probably make the situation worse.

But if you really feel you are being harassed, then it's not inappropriate to tell. But if they are just goofing around and having fun with you about, what is to them, a peculiar breakfast, it would probably be wise to develop an ability to laugh at yourself.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I'm considered weird at work for various reasons, too. And I work in IT, so the bar for weird is very VERY high, as most of us in the field spent our entire youths getting badly picked on for our various tastes.

Unless you're being treated with hostility in other ways, it might be just playful. If you are, yeah, dealing with it would be a good idea.