MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    add protein
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Three hours is an appropriate time between eating meals, so if breakfast is around 7:00, being hungry at 10:00 is about right.

Depends on the person--that would drive me crazy.

In what way?

I don't want to have to eat every 3 hours and carry around a bunch of snacks. I can't necessarily fit in a food break that often and I typically like cooked food. So for me fewer, but more satisfying meals work better. (I also don't want to be hungry for 3 or even several hours before meals.)

I understand; whatever works. I don't make it a point to eat every 3 hours, but if I find myself in the kitchen at, for example, the 1-hour mark, I make myself drink tea or water until at least 3 hours have passed. My goal right now is to break the frequent snacking habit. I do like for my meal to keep me satisfied for more than 3 hours, though.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's normal. Carbs tend to burn off mire quickly than protein, which will leave hungry way sooner. I almost never have carbs for breakfast.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's why I don't eat breakfast at all. I'm never hungry when I wake up and if I do eat then I'm always hungry by ten, whilst if I don't eat I'm not hungry until lunch time and I'll just have a slightly bigger lunch. But if you are hungry when you wake up and oatmeal isn't keeping you full, I'd try something else, maybe with more protein.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You might try adding some yogurt to your oatmeal, that adds some protein. I make my oatmeal with milk instead of water which also adds a bit of protein. You can add some fresh fruit or a few nuts as well. If you are eating at 6 am it's not that unusual to start feeling hungry at 10.
  • TheBattleAxe
    TheBattleAxe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Glad others find the same, thought maybe it was just me being greedy.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Chiming in with the protein and fat bandwagon. That's why nuts and cream are considered good oatmeal accompaniments.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people putting an egg on top of their oatmeal. I haven't tried it. I'm assuming it's a fried egg?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what you add to the oatmeal, or how much of it you eat, or what time you eat breakfast, it's impossible to tell if it's normal. Or defining normal. And how will that even be helpful for you? Eat whatever suits you :p
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Any time I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I am starving by about 10. Is this normal? I guess I need to add protein or just go back to Greek yogurt for breakfast.

It is possible that Steal Cut Oatmeal will work for you.
    It is less processed and has double the fiber.
    I used to make mine on slow in the crockpot overnight and make a big enough batch that I could reheat for other mornings during the week.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/455623-steel-cut-oats-vs-100-percent-whole-grain-rolled-oats/
  • nerdburglar13
    Options
    You should definitely listen to your body. It could be that you need more protein and fat with breakfast to hold you over, rather than carbs. That's how I am, for sure. You could add a bit more butter, and stir in an egg and see how that holds you. Good luck!
  • rustypep
    rustypep Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with adding protein but you might choose casein instead of whey as it will gel and sit longer in your stomach. Whey will get digested pretty fast. That is what I take casein before bed. It keeps me full during the night and reduces my hunger at breakfast. Been doing it nine months and it works for me. I buy average priced whey and spend more on a quality casein. I mix it with oat meal
    some days for lunch.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people putting an egg on top of their oatmeal. I haven't tried it. I'm assuming it's a fried egg?

It's pretty delish. I personally like to fry two eggs with the middle still runny. Everyone always goes for sweet add-ins with their oatmeal; however, I really think savory oats are tremendously underrated.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    It's pretty delish. I personally like to fry two eggs with the middle still runny. Everyone always goes for sweet add-ins with their oatmeal; however, I really think savory oats are tremendously underrated.
    No, I'll have butter on mine, please.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    add protein and fat

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »

Alternatively, I'll sometimes add egg white. Didn't care for the taste of a whole egg mixed in.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal makes me happy. I add apple and raisins to mine each day. I also double the serving.
  • JenniferD83
    JenniferD83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Plain oatmeal (even steel cut) with fruit etc makes me hungry after about 2hrs.
    If I add heavy cream and/or butter I'm good for about 4hrs.
    3 eggs and veges cooked in butter holds me over for about 5hrs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What time do you eat breakfast? I think it's pretty reasonable to be a bit peckish by 10 AM unless I've had a massive breakfast. I generally have a small snack right around 10 or 10:30 AM...I don't think this is strange or unusual.

I usually have a serving of Coach's Oats for breakfast along with 1 egg and 4 egg whites (from a carton) scrambled...I have greek yogurt with some berries and granola around 10ish for a snack.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    This may seem like a silly question but how much oatmeal are you having when you're eating it? If you're only eating 1 packet of oatmeal (approximately 160 calories), it's perfectly reasonable to be hungry a few hours later.

If I'm eating oatmeal, I add a bit of butter to it and have it with fruit and Greek yogurt on the side as well as coffee.