Blood sugar level question....

Options
ninnyfurr74
ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
Can some one please explain how when I went to bed last night my blood sugars were 100 and when I wake up this morning my fasting sugars are at 121??

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It's called "dawn phenomenon". During the night your blood sugar drops lower. Your liver then dumps glucose into your system to bring it back up. It's a normal part of being a Type 2 diabetic. The longer you control your diet and blood sugar levels throughout the day the better the morning one will get. But, it takes time.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can some one please explain how when I went to bed last night my blood sugars were 100 and when I wake up this morning my fasting sugars are at 121??

you raided the fridge ? But seriously, the dawn phenomenon answer is the one.
  • nathandickerson142
    Options
    I've been hearing alot about artificial sweeteners affecting blood sugar as well.. I don't have diabetes, but I am looking at monitoring mine.... I found this site on choosing a good monitor, does it look good IYHO? thanks- http://www.bloodsugarmonitors.net/
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @Nathan
    I checked out your site and it is a very good site for just starting out. It is very informative with out being too technical and gives some great product descriptions and info with out being biased towards any specific brand. I even learned a few things. Not that I'm an expert but two of my besties, my grandmother, and my father are all type 2 diabetics so I know my way around a bit. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my last child and just recently started having massive headaches and fatigue. My bestie suggested my sugars might be high (she knows my history and my weight) so I checked. They were 160 fasting, so definitely well above normal. As I don't have insurance I haven't been to the doc yet to do an A1c for an official diagnoses but given what I know and my docs previous warnings I figured I would start keeping track on my own now and show my doc my results when I see him. It's also been the kick in the butt I needed to get me back to this site and back on track to a thinner healthier me!