Antidepressants and losing weight

Options
pbandz
pbandz Posts: 128 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi. I'm a 20 year old who's stuck with my weight. I'm 114 lb and 5'1" and want to get back down to 108 lb which I thought would be fine. My school semester ended and I figured the weight gain was due to stress. Over break every day I walk five or more miles and every other day I run. I've been counting calories as well and I am below 1800 calories daily, usually lower.
One year ago I went from 132 to 108 but a month prior I had gone off my antidepressants. I have since gotten back on them. I don't eat a lot of junk, nor do I drink pop. I just want to know, being a 20 year old girl, why it's so difficult for me to lose weight ?? Is it my antidepressants ??
It's just extremely disappointing to step on the scale after what I consider a good week, and see my weight the same or higher.
Thanks.

Replies

• alicexrobinson
    Options
    Hi I had the same problem in that i was on antidepressants that work as nerve painkillers and when I went on them i gained weight. I spoke to the doctor and they said that they generally do make women in particular put on weight and that if I wanted to stay on them I would just need to deal with it and work harder to lose it. Coming off my medication isn't an option because I can't feel my hands and those tablets ease the pain. Guess I just have to suck it up!
  • pbandz
    Options
    I can't go off them either because I'm in school and when I'm off them I have suicidal episodes and I am afraid I would end up acting on something :( well seems sucking it up is probably more of an option than going off them. Thanks for the reply I wish you luck and wellness
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP...been there...You should do a search as there was just a thread on antidepressants and weight loss (or not). I do put my own weight gain on ADs down to overeating on them (they made me quite hungry), but it sounds like you don't feel that happened, so do the search and see what people had to say. Hang in there; I am plugging for you - I know it's tough.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    have you thought about weightlifting/resistance training? that can help you build lean muscle and it may be enough to help you get leaner and maybe help burn some fat if you have some to lose.not saying it will help but at least you will look leaner.antidepressants will make you gain weight,I have been on them in the past and put on a LOT of weight. I think that is what made me gain so much weight(as well as eating). I was always thinner until I started taking them. I havent been on them in over 10 years(they made me suicidal where I wasnt before taking them).sounds like you need to stay on them. I wouldnt worry so much about 6 lbs though,Like I said the weight training/resistance training can make your body look leaner if that is what you are going for.
  • bigears04
    bigears04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anyone who suggests sucking it up has clearly never been depressed. I feel for you, pbanz, because frustration with one's weight only aggravates feeling low. Do some research and talk to your doctor; perhaps you could switch medications. Good luck!
  • pbandz
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone! I'll be seeing my doctor within a few weeks and I'll talk to her about my options and what I can do. I'll also try and do some more research. Also I will try and add strength training to my workout regime and see if that helps :)
  • Vananners
    Options
    There are a few meds that can cause weight gain but there's also options that do not cause weight gain. When I was doing research on the topic, I found this chart. Might be interesting if you're taking one of the meds that is known for weight gain to see what would happen if you switched.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    yes, there are meds which can interfere with weight loss. you must keep trying and don't ever stop your meds just to weigh a certain amount. as long as you're not gaining, that is a good sign. keep up the hard work.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Vananners wrote: »
    There are a few meds that can cause weight gain but there's also options that do not cause weight gain. When I was doing research on the topic, I found this chart. Might be interesting if you're taking one of the meds that is known for weight gain to see what would happen if you switched.

Thank you for posting this. I just started a new anti-d and was slightly concerned about weight stuff. Good information :)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I like your idea of adding strength training. You're getting in your cardio and feel you're eating well and it appears you're struggling with that last 5ish pounds. Sometimes the number on the scale isn't the most important. How are you Feeling? If you're staying this low and on the antidepressants that give yourself a bit of a break. Add in that strength training and see how your body reacts. Also take Pics and Measurements! The scale may not go lower, but your body may change!

I've just worked myself off of antidepressants myself.

Hang in there! Keep doing well in school.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

The chart is great but even the drugs that aren't known for weight gain, can still cause weight gain. The drugs affect everyone differently. For example, one might gain weight on Lexapro, another individual won't experience any weight changes.

Me personally, I gained the most weight on Lexapro and according to the chart, it has a low prevalence of weight gain.
  • Vananners
    Options

The chart is great but even the drugs that aren't known for weight gain, can still cause weight gain. The drugs affect everyone differently. For example, one might gain weight on Lexapro, another individual won't experience any weight changes.

Me personally, I gained the most weight on Lexapro and according to the chart, it has a low prevalence of weight gain.

Yes, that's a good reminder! The chart is a good starting point but you'll never be able to guess at how your body will react to a drug. Especially when it comes to mood. For some people, depression can cause lack of appetite and so when they start feeling better on the meds, they may start eating more. As always, keeping track of diet and exercise are key!
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also, can I point out that 114 is a perfectly fine weight for 5'1". Don't beat yourself up about it, if you feel good, healthy, that matters more than the number. Weight lifting will make you look smaller in clothes but may not actually lead to weight loss. I am actually 5'1" and 116 and wear a size 2/4 I believe in part to weight lifting. Plus, it makes you feel good, sleep good and releases endorphins which are helpful for depression.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a drug has the side effect of making us feel hungrier. Some of us tend to eat more when we feel less depressed. There are likely many reasons drugs of all kinds may contribute to an energy imbalance. Antihistamines are a big offender, believe it or not. Trial and error along with diligent food logging are really the only way to go.
  • tarapower86
    Options
    I think I gained weight with my anti depressants because I became "happy" but now I want to be happy and skinny hopefully I can have both
  • pbandz
    Options
    I read somewhere that it isn't 100% proven but due to hormones antidepressants can impact your metabolism which I think is the issue
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

i agree with this. the chart states no sexual issues with wellbutrin and it caused HUGE problems for me.

• pbandz
    Options
    I had gained 30 pounds on Zoloft and Lexapro so I have some dispute as well. I'm not gained a lot Effexor but having just upped the dose, I've felt chunkier and despite counting calories, eating healthier for the most part, and starting a daily work out regime, my weight has gone up two pounds in the past three weeks.
  • HSM1982
    Options
    I gained about 25 pounds and I lost all zest for working out (even when I was depressed I worked out a few times a week). Now I am in a better place emotionally and as I have lessened my zoloft dosage to 50 mg I have now begun working out and am doing ok so far. I actually want to work out.
  • pbandz
    Options
    Good I'm glad it's working for you :) I recently lessened my Effexor back to 2 pills and will be seeing my doctor soon about possible adhd. I've been running and I ran a 5k this past weekend! I'm just still struggling with the weight