Cottage cheese in eggs for extra protein...

Options
jnv7594
jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
edited January 2015 in Recipes
Not much of a recipe, but I've been looking for a way to add some more protein in so I thought I would pass this along. I'm sure many already do this, but I never have, so this is for people like me who wouldn't have thought of it. :) I really dislike cottage cheese on it's own, so I am always trying to find a way to eat it in something. So this morning I added it to some eggs, and it was yummy. I used 3 eggs and added about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese along with some pepper. I didn't add a full serving of cottage cheese because I didn't know how it would taste, so I was a little scared to add too much. It does take a bit longer to cook, so be aware of that, but I just cooked it like I do regular eggs. Just flipped it every so often during cooking. Anyway, I really liked it. It's better than plain eggs and adds more protein. I think tomorrow I will try adding a bit more and maybe some other veggies. Had it with some bacon and Pepperidge Farm Swirl bread with some Grass Fed Butter on it...yummy meal and just over 30 g of protein. :)

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good...I like both. I sometimes mix cottage cheese with canned salmon. That is actually one of my favorite combinations. I have a friend who mixes it with tuna.

Also, I sometimes add some black beans into my eggs...it adds a little more protein, a bit of fiber. I've also added avocado and salsa to that a couple of times which is really good as well, especially with some hot sauce.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird, but I think I'll try it :) Thanks for the tip!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I do this if I'm cutting. Replace milk, butter and cheese with cottage cheese in scrambled eggs - it's actually pretty nice :)
  • tinapi96
    tinapi96 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love egg salad made with cottage cheese!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    That how I make my scrambled eggs. Makes 'em fluffy.

Cottage cheese works with just about anything.
  • julie50261
    Options
    I usually add cottage cheese with tuna for a healthier tuna salad sandwich. Throw in some capers and green onions and its great in a wrap or on some whole wheat bread. I also somethimes throw a little bit of cheese on top and make a tuna melt. It's pretty low-cal so you don't have to feel guilty.
  • EternalFiend
    EternalFiend Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with eggs - do it every morning I have been to the gym :) But I find that it can make my eggs really watery - anyone else experience this or is it just me?
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with eggs - do it every morning I have been to the gym :) But I find that it can make my eggs really watery - anyone else experience this or is it just me?

Do you add salt during cooking? Cuz that will make scrambled eggs watery.

I use 2% cottage cheese, if I were using lower fat cottage cheese I might be concerned they'd turn out a little watery.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Just curious - why not just add an extra egg white for more protein?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    good idea if you are trying to gain weight.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese in my eggs. It makes them so creamy!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »

That makes no sense. Cottage cheese makes people gain weight? Pfft. As long as you're in a calorie deficit or maintenance, adding whatever to whatever won't make a difference.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Just curious - why not just add an extra egg white for more protein?

Not a bad question, I'll bite:

A serving of cottage cheese is much higher in protein than a single egg white, it adds a fuller flavor to the eggs, makes it macronutritionally more filling, and fluffs up the eggs so it takes up more space in your stomach. You could even get crazy and add extra egg whites in addition to the cottage cheese eggs for a mad protein bomb breakfast.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »

That makes no sense. Cottage cheese makes people gain weight? Pfft. As long as you're in a calorie deficit or maintenance, adding whatever to whatever won't make a difference.

that poster likes to make idiotic drive by statements ….
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to have cottage cheese with eggs as post-workout meal. I like it this way: 200g of cottage cheese mashed with 3 hard boiled eggs, a tomato diced in very small cubes, 3 slices of sweet green pepper, and some salt/black pepper. I don't add any oils or cook the cheese, only mash it with boiled eggs, tomato and green pepper. It is very delicious and full of protein and healthy fats. Other times I substitute eggs with can of tuna, which is also very delicious and so easy to prepare.
  • into_fitness
    into_fitness Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ok instead of mixing it with eggs what else can you add?! I really really don't like cottage cheese.. I think it tastes kinda blah. any suggestions on things to add to make it a bit more appealing?? I would like to add it to my diet if I can figure out a way to make it taste okay!
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    ok instead of mixing it with eggs what else can you add?! I really really don't like cottage cheese.. I think it tastes kinda blah. any suggestions on things to add to make it a bit more appealing?? I would like to add it to my diet if I can figure out a way to make it taste okay!

I like it mixed with fruits (kiwi and bananas a great with cottage cheese, as are cucumbers and tomatoes). And with veg (on a salad is good, really good used as a substitute for dressing; also peas, I prefer adding frozen peas right from the bag to it and let them thaw for a few minutes)

I also like it plain with a sprinkling of either cinnamon, cayenne, or black pepper.

Mixing in crunchy seeds and nuts is also good.

But if you really don't like cottage cheese, I don't see the point in wasting your calories on something you feel you have to choke down. Especially given that you can get protein and calcium from other sources you like more.

• brianalbro1
    brianalbro1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just had some on my last break. I dice up some tomato and some green pepper and mix with pinch of salt and black pepper.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Makes great pancakes. Put 2 eggs, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup oatmeal, and a bit of vanilla in the blender. Blend it up, fry as pancakes, top with a bit of fruit. Amazingly high protein for a normally carb breakfast.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I will add it to my smoothies sometimes instead of yogurt.