Any Tea drinkers here?

Options

Replies

• drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea all day long, both hot and iced, straight up, nothing added. I have probably 10 varieties in my house at any given moment. I like plain green tea, none of that herbal, potpourri, flowery crap (kidding--don't jump all over that please!!!) I drink Tazo--sold at Whole Foods--the China Green Tips and the Pan-Fried Green are my favorites. Trader Joe's House brand of Green Tea is yummy too. Those are in bags, so I have boxes of those at work. At home I brew loose tea from Teasource--online. They have several delicious green tea varieties. Republic of Ttea is also good both online and in the stores. They have loose and bagged varieties. I have heard that green tea helps both upping your metabolism and in controlling your appetite. Who knows. I can't take the caffeine in coffee, but I can manage the amount in green tea--multiple cups all day long, so fine. I figure without adding any sugar or milk, the green tea has no calories so it keeps my hydrated, what's the down side??? I don't know why you would have to force yourself to drink it if you didn't like it--the health benefits don't seem that high to make yourself drink it.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've learned more on this thread than anywhere else on this site! Great info everyone- I'm going to have to seriously expand my "collection" of teas.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    mmabry72 wrote: »
    I used coffee to help me break the soda (pop in my part of the world) habit. Worked great but I drank coffee all day long 6-8 + cups. Started adding tea (hot and Ice) to my diet and now I am 100% off of pop and coffee. I’m not sure if it has a health benefit but its sure better than pop and even coffee I’m sure. I don't use milk or sweeteners either. Just straight up tea, both iced and hot.
    At home I use leafy green or black teas in an infuser. I even have some Chinese green tea that one of our salesman brought back from a his last trip over. but I am not a tea snob and I have boxes of lipton and generic tea bags at work to get me through the day. Again I hear the bags are garbage but its better than a pop, right.
    Good luck and enjoy your tea :)

6-8 cups of coffee a day is actually good for you, as it has been shown to protect against a multitude of diseases, including stroke, type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon and a half of iced tea a week. I don't really count on it having too many health benefits other than I drink it unsweet and previously drank about a case of Mountain Dew a week.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »

no offense but I gotta chuckle at the ones that think green tea helps them loose weight.

No offense taken - I personally have never used tea as anything but my decaf. hot drink of choice at night.

I stick with basic calories-in / calories-out (watching carbs); while eating 99% healthy fresh foods and exercising. Not big on any gimmicks - other than discipline and lifestyle change. :)
  • NikonPal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    x
  • NikonPal
    Options
    LOL -- Just saw this notice: MomOfOneGirl1995 has deactivated their account. --
    nope, not deactivated...it's a glitch in the system...sorry for the confusion.

Deleted my post -- :)
  • DarianDunn
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    I used coffee to help me break the soda (pop in my part of the world) habit. Worked great but I drank coffee all day long 6-8 + cups. Started adding tea (hot and Ice) to my diet and now I am 100% off of pop and coffee. I’m not sure if it has a health benefit but its sure better than pop and even coffee I’m sure. I don't use milk or sweeteners either. Just straight up tea, both iced and hot.
    At home I use leafy green or black teas in an infuser. I even have some Chinese green tea that one of our salesman brought back from a his last trip over. but I am not a tea snob and I have boxes of lipton and generic tea bags at work to get me through the day. Again I hear the bags are garbage but its better than a pop, right.

6-8 cups of coffee a day is actually good for you, as it has been shown to protect against a multitude of diseases, including stroke, type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's.

Why?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I like drinking tea in the evenings. Health benefits? It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside~<3

Rooibos teas have been my favorite so far though most of my tea drinking experience has come from Teavana mixes. I plan on buying from Adaigo Teas the next time I need some loose leaves.
  • DarianDunn
    DarianDunn Posts: 10
    edited January 2015
    Options

no offense but I gotta chuckle at the ones that think green tea helps them loose weight.

Why?

I seem to be missing something. It appears that clinical studies show it does help.
  • DarianDunn
    Options
    DarianDunn wrote: »
    tigersword wrote: »

Why?

because it's NOT BAD FOR YOU!

No, no....

Why does 6-8 cups of coffee a day is actually good for you, as it has been shown to protect against a multitude of diseases, including stroke, type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's.

What is in it that helps?
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I know teas have health benefits but I drink them purely for taste/relaxation.
    Drinking tea is ingrained in my culture. One cup of chai daily is a must!

I also love Tazo Calm Chamomile with some honey. It has a nice mild taste to it. Perfect for bed time.

Another one I drink when feeling sick or tired is Ginger Tea. The smell and taste perk me up and ginger has many health benefits.

I used to drink green tea but found it made my throat feel scratchy and dry so I stopped.

• trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I teach in a school where the main minority is from Korea. All my kids drink tea. And most of them tell me I should drink six cups of green tea a day. One of my students' grandfathers is a traditional Asian doctor. He tells them a cup of hot unsweetened green tea should be had on rising and going to bed and at least three times during the day. He also recommends hot ginger tea which I have had and it's really interesting. It truly warms you up on a cold day.
  • zlrichardson
    Options
    OP, you also asked where to get good tea. I also drink a lot of tea and have come to really love loose leaf teas. I was buying my tea from Teavana, but at $12/oz., it was a little spendy. I have since switched to Smith Teamaker as they are local to Portland, OR and he previously founded Stash and Tazo tea companies, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

The prices are about 1/3-1/2 of Teavana for the same quality or better.

www.smithtea.com
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Why?

I seem to be missing something. It appears that clinical studies show it does help.

green tea...not really. They use studies of like 10 people and it's been over 5 years since most of those studies were done. It tastes good and helps people get their water in...and because it makes you feel full, you won't eat as much...that's about it.

I agree. If you take people that haven’t been getting their water and give them 6 or 8 cups of tea a day, sure, they’ll lose weight. I think tea can help you get your head in the right place to get your water in, but frankly, tea is leaf water. There’s no conclusive studies on the benefits of the chemical compounds themselves.

My personal opinion is that the weight loss thing is something that these companies try to tout as a health benefits thing. If you visit tea plantations in China they have this very well-thought out (and frankly intimidating) selling scheme where they try you to get green tea extract pills. Using a bunch of hand-waving and magic colored water, they try to convince you that green tea detoxes your body by using antioxidants to revers origination, apparently. I went with a couple of chemistry students who explained the process but - long story short, antioxidants don’t do what most people think they do, and there’s no evidence that they benefit humans.

Don’t get caught up in the hype.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2011/08/the_doctor_and_the_pomegranate.html
  • DarianDunn
    Options
    MomOfOneGirl, it appears that you are correct on the coffee and uninformed about tea.

A quick google search found multiple studies with many people for tea.

It appears that many of the things you like about coffee are true about tea also.

It miight be useful to alternate coffee and tea if you like both.
  • GoldaTyla
    GoldaTyla Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that tea --- my old pal ---- still tastes good to me (I sweeten it with Splenda and add lemon)!!! It's a great pick-me-up and a great accompaniment or finish to a meal. It's often the only "water" I drink as I've somehow lost the taste for water unless it's "Nestle Splash" or similar. When I was a lot younger, I couldn't pass a water fountain without taking a few sips --- don't know what happened. Lately, I barely drink enough liquids to make up 64 ounces each day. Have to get back on track.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MomOfOneGirl, it appears that you are correct on the coffee and uninformed about tea.

A quick google search found multiple studies with many people for tea.

It appears that many of the things you like about coffee are true about tea also.

It miight be useful to alternate coffee and tea if you like both.

Anybody can publish a phony study online - I think you should compare the facts that are really available. Tea is not shown to prevent cancer or bone fractures and has not been conclusively shown to help with weight loss. However, studies have shown that it may be associated with a reduced risk for stroke.

Wild theories and studies that aren’t peer-reviewed are not reliable. The most major study out there (linked below) concluded that the weight-loss effects are short-term and “not likely to be of clinical relevance.”

http://www.maturitas.org/article/S0378-5122(12)00270-8/abstract

If you’re eating or drinking a particular food because you think it’s going to be the miracle solution to your problem, you’re not approaching your food from a healthy angle. Eat fulfilling food that makes your body happy and avoid foods that make your body hurt. Focus on the fact that you’re cutting out sodas with lot of sugar and calories. You’re going to lose a ton of weight with a simple switch like that. Look at the pseudoscience, but set it aside.
  • keylime_pie
    keylime_pie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness. Clearly many of us are missing out on the zen effects of a nicely cupped tea. :p
    I worked in an artisan tea shop for a long while. It was my job to teach classes on tea and hold traditional tea ceremonies as well as be a consultant for taste and health benefits.

Tea is very good for you and has been used medicinally throughout history (polyphenols and flavonoids to the rescue!). And- fun fact- it actually can aid the weight loss process! It speeds up your metabolism, simply put. Oolongs in particular are attributed with this, although that sort of differentiation between increasingly oxidized teas is a bit misleading since they're all the same plant.
    A great resource and reference for info like this is website called teaclass.com

(: