Eating back exercise calories - Report

Options
I do not want to start a debate about eating back exercise calories. What I'd like, if people are willing to report it, is the following:

IF (and ONLY IF) you eat back your exercise calories

1. What is your desired rate of weight loss?
2. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month?
3. How do you calculate how many calories burned?
4. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn
5. How many exercise sessions do you log a week

Like I said, just the facts, folx, if you do this. If you don't that's cool, too. (In fact, I don't. Just want to see results when people do)

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    1. Not really important to me as I've become far more motivated by running performance than weight per se.
    2. I've averaged about 2lbs per month over about 18 months or so, faster initially and much smoother now. Probably less than 1/2 lb pm at the moment.
    3. My Garmin GPS with HRM and speed/ cadence sensors on my bike.
    4. It varies depending on the session, and fewer lately as I've been coming back from illness. When my training is going reasonably then sessions are no less than 60 minutes. Calorie expenditure varies from 600 cals for a short session to 2000 for a long run. I don't account for calories expended in resistance training at all.
    5. Generally 4 runs and a couple of rides per week logged.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do not want to start a debate about eating back exercise calories. What I'd like, if people are willing to report it, is the following:

0.5lb a week
    3. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month? Yes, although according to trendweight I'm running at 0.9lb a week over the last 22 weeks
    4. How do you calculate how many calories burned?
    i use a fitbit every day, I'm set to sedentary with negative enabled. Plus a polar HRM for gym workouts but log about 50-100 calories less than shown dependent on what proportion was lifting
    6. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn
    Per workout around 350 - 400 for about 45 mins alone and 6-700 for 60 mins with PT (but those sessions have me doing 20 mins cardio first)
    8. How many exercise sessions do you log a week
    3 specific gym workouts
    Days without gym I make sure I do 10000 steps which adds 350-400 cals to my sedentary rate

Like I said, just the facts, folx, if you do this. If you don't that's cool, too. (In fact, I don't. Just want to see results when people do)

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Just to give you some context, I am 56, 126 lb., and 5'1.5". My BMR is quite low, around 1136. I set the tracker to around 1100 and eat back exercise calories so that I will have at least some deficit. I have been unable to go below 1100 without eating back exercise calories -- I just get too weak and hungry. I eat back my exercise calories, but do a lot of walking, so that also counts as exercise.

1. My desired rate of weight loss is 1 lb. a week, but because I'm close to normal weight, I can only realistically expect to lose .5 lb. a week.
    2. I lost about 6 lbs. in the first 6 months of using MFP, so my rate was actually even slower than .5 a week, more like .33 to .25 lb. (I went from 126 to 120).
    3. I use an inexpensive noncomputerized step counter/calorie tracker to track step-based exercises like walking, zumba, and kickboxing. I use MFP estimates for strength training and yoga. When using a stationary bike, I use the calorie counts from the bike.
    4. Heavier cardio like zumba or kickboxing burn in the 300+ range, walks between 100 and 250 (depending on time and distance), yoga around 140 an hour, strength training around 90 per half hour. Stationary bike around 90 for 1/2 hour.
    5. I log 5-6 sessions minimum per week, often multiple sessions per day if I do two different kinds of activity.

Other information, I recently gained all the weight back in one month of holiday vacation eating! However, I still kept up my exercise routine, I guess, just demonstrating that diet is more important than exercise for weight loss.

You can check my diary for the week to see my pattern -- today I haven't worked out or completed my food intake, so ignore that one.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My background: 36 yo, 5'5", started off at 300+ lbs in January 2014, now hovering around 200 lbs. My caveat is that I rarely eat ALL of my exercise calories back (though I do when I'm especially hungry!), but ALWAYS eat some of them, usually in the 25-75% range, averaging I'd guess right about 50% eaten back.

Somewhere in the 1.5-2 lb/week range.

2. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month?
    Yes, the last time I averaged it, about 44 weeks in, I had lost at a rate of 2.07 lbs/week. It's slowing down as I have less weight to lose, but that's what I expected would happen.

I have a Fitbit that is synced with MFP, and I pretty much only use that as my calories burned, except in the summer when I do a lot of kayaking - I then use the Fitbit's website estimate of calories burned per hour for kayaking, since it's lower than MFP's.

4. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn?
    Well, it's hard to say since I don't log "exercise" in MFP, just let it sync from my Fitbit. But generally I burn ~400-600 calories for each targeted cardio session (usually running) that I do, and I also get extra calories from my Fitbit on days I walk a lot. Usually at the end of the day my Fitbit will have synced about 800-1400 burned calories (I average about 20K steps per day).

5. How many exercise sessions do you log a week?
    Again, I don't log exercise sessions, but I usually do a cardio workout in the morning before work, and one again after work, and then a few on the weekend - all usually either running, walking, or hiking. So somewhere in the 12-14 range, I guess?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

1. What is your desired rate of weight loss? 0.5 lb/wk

2. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month? Yes

3. How do you calculate how many calories burned? I use whatever MFP says.

4. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn For Zumba 300-400, for Pilates between 100-200

5. How many exercise sessions do you log a week 6 days a week. I do 3 days of Zumba and 3 days of Pilates.

• kevmatt11
    kevmatt11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a male 6'2'' 210 lbs. Let me preface by saying I don't eat back all my calories, i usually try to leave 300-500 left over. Also I try to eat the same amount of calories each day regardless of intense exercise.

1. My desired range of weight loss is set to 1.4 lbs right now on myfitnesspal

2. Over 22 weeks I have lost 53 pounds so that gives me a rate of 2.4 lbs per week (I lost my first 20 very quickly, has been more steady since)

3. I just bought a fitbit so now I use that for calculating my calories burned. Before I would manually log my exercises with myfitnesspal. The fitbit is more accurate and gives me more room for calories (I am on the sedentary setting).

4. Running 4 miles usually 700-800 cals.

5. I use to log 3 running exercises a week, when I started losing I would walk a lot so I logged 6-7 of those a week. Now with the fitbit I don't log anything it just tells me what my range is for the day.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

1lb per week
    Yes, I guess you could say that.

fyib29ofggdl.jpg
    I did use a Fitbit to help get a closer estimate of my TDEE. I recently switched to Garmin VivoFit.
    I use a HRM for workouts that aren't walking/running and then use a spreadsheet that was created by heybales to determine how many calories to actually log.

Depends. I break my workouts up. Some are 1hr. Some are 20 mins. Some are 80 mins. Sometimes I do a 20 min workout, a 45 min workout, and a 10 min workout all in the same day. Here's what last week looked like:
    yt6gev5iqb6c.jpg

Varies. I usually get in at least 250 mins a week and some weeks I get around 400 mins.
    As for sessions, well I generally break up my workouts into smaller segments. I have 2 young boys and can't always get in the amount of time I want. Take yesterday for example, I restarted the same workout 3 times. The first time amount to more than 5 mins but less than 10 and wasn't logged (vivofit won't create activity for anything less than 10 mins). The second time I was able to get 11 mins in, and I logged it. Third time I was able to get 29 mins in, but was too tired to finish at this point (was supposed to be my 3rd workout for the day, but ended up being the 5th from all the restarting).

• KhadijaBennett
    KhadijaBennett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Back ground: 5ft 6
    112.5kg
    Just restarted my journey as I gained alot of weight when regaining strength for a competition after Ramadan
    Only been at it a week so ill keep you posted if you'd like... But past has taught me to eat my exercise cals back or I go into starvation mode... And I really cant risk losing much muscle.

1. What is your desired rate of weight loss? 1kg .. 2.2lb
    3. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month? At the moment due to alot of fat to burn its quicker.. Say 2-3kg a week
    4. How do you calculate how many calories burned? I use the app MFP I log my strength workouts and gave to add it time wise as well under cardio
    5. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn? Usually about 1150 weekends tend to be more
    6. How many exercise sessions do you log a week? About 6, children permitting
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I eat back about half the exercise calories.
    1. What is your desired rate of weight loss? 1pound a week
    2. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month? yes
    3. How do you calculate how many calories burned? I use what MFP says the particular exercise burns.
    4. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn? 100 - 300
    5. How many exercise sessions do you log a week? I try for one per day but sometimes do more. I've skipped just a couple of days.

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm mobile so sorry if I can't answer these in order.

I lose anywhere from 0.2-2 pounds a week.

Yes

I use a polar ft4 heart rate monitor and update my weight on it biweekly.

300-700

I do 4 60-80 minute workouts a week.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

1lb per week

fyib29ofggdl.jpg
    I did use a Fitbit to help get a closer estimate of my TDEE. I recently switched to Garmin VivoFit.
    I use a HRM for workouts that aren't walking/running and then use a spreadsheet that was created by heybales to determine how many calories to actually log.

Depends. I break my workouts up. Some are 1hr. Some are 20 mins. Some are 80 mins. Sometimes I do a 20 min workout, a 45 min workout, and a 10 min workout all in the same day. Here's what last week looked like:
    yt6gev5iqb6c.jpg

Varies. I usually get in at least 250 mins a week and some weeks I get around 400 mins.
    As for sessions, well I generally break up my workouts into smaller segments. I have 2 young boys and can't always get in the amount of time I want. Take yesterday for example, I restarted the same workout 3 times. The first time amount to more than 5 mins but less than 10 and wasn't logged (vivofit won't create activity for anything less than 10 mins). The second time I was able to get 11 mins in, and I logged it. Third time I was able to get 29 mins in, but was too tired to finish at this point (was supposed to be my 3rd workout for the day, but ended up being the 5th from all the restarting).

God, I love a data nerd...

So you eat back about 75% of estimated calorie burn?
  • shadow2soul
    Options

1lb per week

fyib29ofggdl.jpg

yt6gev5iqb6c.jpg

Give or take. The way it's set up is so that it subtracts my BMR and then takes a % off. I'll be honest, I don't know the exact math behind it since the spreadsheet was set up by heybales. I do know that it will change based on other information on the sheet. As I get closer to my goal, the % subtracted gets smaller.

• madeformore14
    Options

1lb per week

fyib29ofggdl.jpg

yt6gev5iqb6c.jpg

Give or take. The way it's set up is so that it subtracts my BMR and then takes a % off. I'll be honest, I don't know the exact math behind it since the spreadsheet was set up by heybales. I do know that it will change based on other information on the sheet. As I get closer to my goal, the % subtracted gets smaller.

How do I get this spreadsheet? it looks awesome
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back now (do TDEE) but I did for months. The answers changed over time, though:

1. Rate of loss? When I started, 2 lb/week, and I gradually reduced down to 1.5 lb/week. I switched to TDEE about when I switched to 1 lb/week.
    2. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month? Yes, it did.
    3. How do you calculate how many calories burned? I mostly ran and biked and used Runkeeper and MapMyBike. I spot checked the results with a HRM and they seemed to match up okay (I hate wearing a HRM). However, for longer rides, especially, I'd cut the calories more because I don't think the numbers include calories you'd burn anyway.
    4. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn? Varies really widely, anywhere from maybe 100 or 150 (pilates, yoga, some weight sessions) to maybe 1200 (long runs, like 2 hours+ and long bikes, like 3 hours).
    5. How many exercise sessions do you log a week? Usually 6.

The numbers are for when I was exercising the most. When I first started exercising really consistently the highest would be 500, and I'd do more like 5 sessions a week.

I did not eat back all the calories, but usually all for the shorter stuff, and about 75% overall (I'd use the longer sessions for weekend restaurant meals and usually have plenty left over).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I only did NEAT method for a few months. Lost too much weight so weight back to TDEE.

1. What is your desired rate of weight loss? When I did NEAT, 1lb/week. ATM it's more like 0.5-1lb/week.
    2. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month? I guess so, didn't do it that long though.
    3. How do you calculate how many calories burned? I entered my time in the appropriate exercise (accounting for intensity as well). Compared to what the machine said, used the machine if they were too different. For strength training (which was 95% of my exercise at the time) I created my own entry for two lifting intensities and used the correct one based on the day's intensity. These entries were created from external sites.
    4. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn Maybe 100-150 No more than 200?
    5. How many exercise sessions do you log a week Four.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

1.5 lbs/week.

Yes.

For running: pounds of body weight * miles run * 0.65 = net calorie burn
    For cycling: Strava
    For swimming: http://www.swimmingcalculator.com/swim_calories_calculator.php

For others: I use my running burn and scale from there using MET tables.

When I'm in stride, 500 calories/day 3-4 days/week, 1000 calories/day 2 days/week.

How many exercise sessions do you log a week

5 to 7.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

1lb per week

fyib29ofggdl.jpg

yt6gev5iqb6c.jpg

How do I get this spreadsheet? it looks awesome

Heybales Spreadsheet - "Weight Loss Calculator MFP"

The Trend Analysis is from:
    The Hacker's Diet Online
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

1.lost 2+ llbs per week for 20 weeks.now at .5lb per week as i have set lower goal.
    2.as an average,varied tween 2 and 5lb weekly at start.
    3.a combo of mfp,gym webiste that uses the compendium of physical activities,swimmingcalculator.com and input age/ weight into cardio machines for comparison.for rowing,the excellent conceptc2.com site is superb.
    4.initially 1500-200 for 10 weeks(3 hours swimming daily).now, about 500 per hour overall.
    5. 6x 1 hour min.still doing 10 hours a week,but half of that is low burn callisthenics and strength training.

initially,i did not eat back exercise cals for 3 months.
    months 4-6 i needed to eat back 25-50%.
    now i eat back 50- 100% dependant on need,now that i have a much better handle on actual burn rates.
    without threads like these,i wouldnt have learned the error of my ways.
    kudos for starting an intelligent,well thought thread on the subject.
    cw 75.6kg.

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I eat back half. Not always on the day I do the exercise, but within the week.

1. What is your desired rate of weight loss? I'd like it all gone by Friday, please. The highest rate MFP will give me is 1.3 pounds a week.
    3. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month? I've only been doing this since January 1 (was way under my calories before then). For six weeks, I should have lost 7.8 pounds. I lost 9.
    4. How do you calculate how many calories burned? Using MFP unless I'm using the Wii, in which case I override. I do tend to use the least-impressive entries (i.e., jogging in place for running).
    5. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn? Dependent on what I do. In the ballpark of 200-500.
    6. How many exercise sessions do you log a week? 6-7, but some of those are easier pilates/pushups/walking etc.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

1. What is your desired rate of weight loss? Slow and steady decrease in body fat percentage at this point.

2. Does that rate of weight loss happen as averaged over a period of time longer than a month? Since I've reached "goal weight" (and not seen it since, but who cares, I'm still the same size :smile: ), yes notable progress takes longer than a month.

3. How do you calculate how many calories burned? I use a New Balance N4 HRM and wear a Fitbit One.

4. How many calories an exercise session do you generally burn? Anywhere from 200-600 depending on the day and activity type, but my average is probably 350-400.

5. How many exercise sessions do you log a week? Usually 5 or 6.